Standout waymarks?

When the new site is live, we'll be featuring a waymark on the home page from a pool of waymarks which we have identified as being exceptional in some way. This will work similar to the way gallery images are displayed and rotated on the Geocaching.com home page.

What I'd like to request of you all, is that you respond with links to your favorite waymarks so we can fill up the pool before launch. Little help?

But I don't have a pair of 3D glasses - Darn. :P

Toot, Toot, my horn too - All Aboard?! Train Conductor

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/details...5e-edee38ec2bda

I sure wish I knew how to do that fancy stuff on my comments. I gotta get more edit'cated :cry: :cry:

You can.. I only started last year. (on my own) Step by step. It's all here 'Copy & paste' :P

Here is a page to get you started. ---->Dave Raggett's introduction. Use a dummy page and experiment with it..

3D-glasses can be ordered from --->Free glasses for the price of a postage stamp.---Also look at their Mars 3D Anaglyph Gallery. :o

When the new site is live, we'll be featuring a waymark on the home page from a pool of waymarks which we have identified as being exceptional in some way. This will work similar to the way gallery images are displayed and rotated on the Geocaching.com home page.

What I'd like to request of you all, is that you respond with links to your favorite waymarks so we can fill up the pool before launch. Little help?

So we have to decide which waymarks are more "Wow" than other? :P

So we have to decide which waymarks are more "Wow" than other? :P

:cry:

You don't have to do anything. Just skip the topic and move on to the next one. :cry:

Anyway, my favorite waymarks so far (that I've done, I've only visited a few):

1. The Presbyterian Meeting House
  2. Unknown Soldier - Alexandria, VA
  3. Bridge Mural, Frederick, Maryland
  4. Monument for the Confederate Dead from Alexandria, VA

Don't know if they qualify as "exceptional" like Nate asked for, but I liked scouting them out and adding them to the database.

:P

Okay... you asked.

And I should say that there are many I did not include even though they are really cool, but I think Nate is looking more for images than the actual content. Some are cool for the written description, but that wouldn't apply to the OP's request.

From the "FIRST of its Kind" Category

FIRST - US WWI Memorial

Salvation Army

Double Barrelled Cannon (see gallery image)

Canada's FIRST Geocache

American Legion (site)

US Branch Mint

Nuclear Power Plant

Oldest Tavern in continuously operated in Canada

Musical Notes transmitted via Radio Waves

Babe Ruth's first Home-Run

Discovery of the Electron

DNA - Double Helix

Non-Stop Transpolar Flight (one of my personal all time favourites)

Geocache Site (EVER)

From the "Monarchs of the World" category

King Louis IX of France

Queen Victoria of Britain

King David Kalakaua of Hawaii

Emperor Augustus Caesar

And honestly... nearly every entry in the Murals and Odd-Shaped Buildings.

Actually, why not just use all of the gallery images from Waymarking? I mean, isn't that what you do on Geocaching for the main page banner?

Making this list made me a little bit uncomfortable... being a category owner, I've enjoyed every waymark that has been submitted to the categories that I'm involved with. Frequently I am reading them and saying "Wow" or "Neat" or even "Huh" (like ... "I never knew that"). I don't want anyone to think that their submissions are not appreciated. I started the categories I have because they interest me, and I am really happy with the quality of what has been submitted.

I don't want people to stop submitting because I chose some images over others... I applied a subjective "What interested me most in the way of a usuable image for the site" approach. Like I said, some of the best Waymarks are because of the detail of the description, the information they impart to me. That is the best part of Waymarking... learning and seeing. But learning comes first.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Here are my top ten favorite waymarks that I have created.

Mt. Shasta Vista Point, California

Pioneer Courthouse Square Directional Marker, Portland, Oregon

The Gordon House, Silverton, Oregon

Goodwill Industries of the Columbia Willamette, Vancouver, Washington

Oregon Humane Society Animal Cemetery - Portland, OR

The Witness Tree Surveyors Monument, Vancouver, Washington

Point Wilson Lighthouse, Port Townsend, Washington

Rose Red (W 077 13.733) of Vancouver, Washington at Lake Accotink Park, Virginia

Ira Keller's Civic Theatre Forecourt Fountain, Portland, Oregon

Pittock Mansion, West Hills of Portland, Oregon