removing junk from caches, ok or no?

nojive

I've came across some caches that have a lot of paper/junk in them that is damp, and or tore, etc. Is it ok to remove items like this, and dispose of them? Or should this be posted in the log for the cache? On the same line, if I run across a cache that is damaged, like a cracked lid, is that something, if its bad enough, that I should fix or leave it up to the owner after posting in the log?

Jive

In general, providing maintenance for someone's cache is welcomed. I think that you should be careful that the junk that you trash out is really trash and that your perceptions of what items should not be in the cache (within the guidelines) do not control your actions.

Also, I probably would not replace someone's container unless I was doing so with the same type of container (LnL for LnL, ammo box for ammo box).

IMHO it's OK to remove junk - as you described - such as soaking wet paper, 'obvious' trash (cellophane wrappers etc); sometimes I take the lame, the sick, the broken, the weary 'stuff' and trade up the swag. It should be a better than fair trade, with the next person delighted with what they find (as long as they find something decent!)

As for cache repair / replacement... I'm all for preserving the style of hide & integrity of the container - especially as it relates to keeping the logbook dry. Some of my caches have been the recipient of tender loving repair or replacement care by cachers who're dedicated to keeping the quality of the caches in our area top-notch. On my home turf I carry a pretty complete repair/replacement kit, including a decon kit w/logbook, to help out caches showing a bit of wear and tear.

The best answer to the claim that caching leaves trash behind (in the form of 'abandoned property' - the cache container) is, simply, to ensure no trash is left behind...

Got it. Thanks for the info!

IMHO it's OK to remove junk - as you described - such as soaking wet paper, 'obvious' trash (cellophane wrappers etc); sometimes I take the lame, the sick, the broken, the weary 'stuff' and trade up the swag. It should be a better than fair trade, with the next person delighted with what they find (as long as they find something decent!)

As for cache repair / replacement... I'm all for preserving the style of hide & integrity of the container - especially as it relates to keeping the logbook dry. Some of my caches have been the recipient of tender loving repair or replacement care by cachers who're dedicated to keeping the quality of the caches in our area top-notch. On my home turf I carry a pretty complete repair/replacement kit, including a decon kit w/logbook, to help out caches showing a bit of wear and tear.

The best answer to the claim that caching leaves trash behind (in the form of 'abandoned property' - the cache container) is, simply, to ensure no trash is left behind...

I trashed out a soggy packet of carrot seeds from a cache. I half expected them to have sprouted with all the moisture in there.

So did you carry away and toss the entire packet, or did you scatter the seeds about? :D

The only things I've removed from caches - as opposed to trading for- are:

1. items which are completely ruined by water or mold

2. items which are so large they are preventing the cache container from closing properly (I put them in the next cache I find of appropriate size)

3. dirty golf balls, when said dirty golf ball was clearly just grabbed up off the nearby ground 'cos there are dirty golf balls scattered all around the area. No need for them to clutter up the cache when anybody who wants or needs a dirty golf ball can pick up plenty on the way to or from the cache. :D

WRT #2, I'm a bit baffled by people who insist on leaving a swag item when it's not going to fit in the container properly, or won't fit at all.

Worst example I've seen is a cache I recently found; it's listed as a "regular" when it's really more of a "small". Someone had taken the big Ziploc that was supposed to provide water protection for the container to put their large trade item in; other finders had followed suit.

So there was this big Ziploc bag full of filthy, sodden, ruined items, which didn't even fit properly in the hide spot - you could see it from 15 feet away, although fortunately on the side facing away from the trail - and the cache contents ALSO all wet and dirty because the container was no longer protected. :D

As a general rule, I won't simply remove garbage. Instead, I'll trade for it.

Thank you! :cry: I try and do the same. It disappoints me to find a cache filled with sodden bits of paper and moldy plastic bits, or with bits of litter about, so as a small gift to the next finder I try to spare them the same disappointment by leaving the cache a little nicer.

One good example of this is a cache I found that had a bit of paper with a nasty note on it. The previous finder had noted in his online log his disgust at finding the note, but he left it. I would have enjoyed the cache much more if he had taken the note out, so I did.

Yes, it's always appreciated, but then trade up, too. Check, double-check and then triple-check that what you're throwing away is actually trash. I've heard of cachers almost tossing out some wet paper before doing the check-three-times method and realizing they were scratch-off lottery tickets.

As for fix/replace, it's always good to bring along some duct-tape either wrapped around your walking stick for convenience or a small piece wrapped around it self a few times and slipped in a pocket. It's usually enough to seal a crack for the short term. It's also a good idea to bring along some ziplocks in your bag/pocket. If you just dry out and stuff the cache items in the bag before replacing them in a cracked or broken container, they'll still stay dry until the container is fixed or replaced.

In short, treat every cache as you'd want your own treated. :laughing:

I will make 2 distinctions here.

1 - if it is my cache, I feel free to junk out anything at any time

2 - If it is somebody else's cache, I trade up for anything that looks like garbage or notify owner of problems - but I always have to keep in mind that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Expired cupons, flamibles, melted candles, mushy paper stuff, moldy stuff and ammo. These are things that I'll take without a trade if I find them in a cache. If the log is moldy I might take it (and yes add another one in a baggy) and dry it and then offer to send it to the owner.

If the container is too full due to swag, (it happens) I'll take some swag without a trade and drop it off in an emptier cache. Cosmic balance is maintained.

I'll remove junk from a cache on occasion, especially if its a friend's cache.

I'm a bit baffled by people who insist on leaving a swag item when it's not going to fit in the container properly, or won't fit at all.
I've always wondered that too. Logs like this are not uncommon: "This cache is very full! T / nothing - L / large stuffed animal"

I'll remove junk from a cache on occasion, especially if its a friend's cache.

I'm a bit baffled by people who insist on leaving a swag item when it's not going to fit in the container properly, or won't fit at all.
I've always wondered that too. Logs like this are not uncommon: "This cache is very full! T / nothing - L / large stuffed animal"

I found exactly this once! The container was stuffed to the gills by a cute cuddly bear. I didn't want to take it, but the next couple of find logs also commented on the bear and how full the cache was. Finally I decided I would go back and trade out the bear (before it was in the cache too long in the damp weather and started to get mouldy or something). Good thing I did, the cache had been moved by a bunch of kids and was well on its way to being muggled.

I believe I ended up trading the bear at another cache, which was a larger ammo box.

Edited by GreyingJay

I loved when I found a cache near the ocean full of broken shells and area trash. My niece did a quick walk down the beach found some toys to put in the cache that the surf washed up. We added some batteries, a roll of film, and a couple of wristbands, and we had an instant nice cache again. I can't believe someone would be so lazy and cheap to trade a broken shell next to the cache for something inside it. B)

I am a happy cacher when I find nice things in caches....I trade up and even and all that stuff, but caches that have junk in it I am less likely to leave something that is nice.

You have to be careful about which caches you take junk out of because you will get caches like the ones on this list and you basically stripped all of the contents out of the container.

Is it ok to remove items like this, and dispose of them?

Yep, get rid of it. Rather than filling up your own trash can, you can drop it off in this cache. As a general rule, I won't simply remove garbage. Instead, I'll trade for it.

:) I wish I would have known about this cache when I went to Florida. I have a whole bag full of stuff that would be appropriate..course the fireants scare the bejeesus out of me...more than the aligators and snakes.

The last cache I found had a nice little notepad in it, but people had ruined it by writing their names and dates in about half the pages. I threw it out since it was no good anymore. I did leave a rock I found on the trail on the way to the cache.

:) I also love taking all those cute little toys with the doggie tags on them. Though the tags are already etched with some silly number, so they're no good to anyone anymore. You can just dispose of the tags and cut some replacements out of aluminum sheets, and they look brand new again!

aloha...today i found "jewel on the Kona Coast" it was a long walk over lava. pahoehoe and a'a . (two type of lava) it was an easy find. i also found cigarettes a lighter and a large folding knife..... i liberated them and adde lots of fresh geo swag. many of th ecaches here in hawaii are in need of a cache angel as many well meaning tourists leave a cache thinking "oh yeah i'll be back" and after two or three years of tourists visiting them they get full of all kinds of crud. little drink umbrellas ....used chopsticks....hotel sewing kits,soap, shampoo etc... raunchy golfballs,tees..broken flip flops , empty suntan lotion etc i usually remove this stuff and add some real swag....... we now have about a dozen local cachers here and we are slowly getting good caches back in order.....

I remove junk from caches. I try to think of the impression a junk or soggy cache will leave on a child who is out with their parents/elders and having a good time and bonding. Who wants to find a cache full of cig butts, broken toys, and old golf balls (I never could figure that one out)? I will put in some extra swag if needed. I have noticed that many of the caches in my area are placed by a few prolific cachers (thank you!!!) who don't have time to do maintenance on all their caches. I kinda feel this parallels CITO. And I am rewarded when I find a cache full of great booty!

Take care,

Outspoken1