White water rapids

It must have been a personal attack, since out of all of the possible choices for "Lame Categories" to centre out.... Skateparks is hardly high on the list of 'sucking factor'

I mean, seriously, even OpinioNate made an offhand comment that some current categories are kinda lame and yet he supported the idea of a Skate Park catgory.

Perhaps 'Dawgs' you can think of it this way... they care enough to post, you must have really had an effect on them. I award you "10 points for style!"

:cry: The Blue Quasar

p.s. If we don't feed the troll, how will it plump up? I'd rather eat a well fed troll.

Hey i think this would be a good catagory but we would need some better classification on the size of the rapid so just post if you have ideas or think i should get this group going

Great idea!! Just don't know if we can do it.

I think you would have to have multiple possibilities for coords, though. White water rivers have multiople rapids, so do you waymark each one (could be a dozen in a very short trip) or the put-in spot, or what?? And, I'm sure not taking the time to snap coords and take pictures while I'm shooting the rapids! So, viewpoint Waymarking for this category?

Here is one classification system:

ROW Adventures

Class I: Very small rapids with low waves, slow current, no obstructions.

Class II: Fairly frequent rapids of medium difficulty, few or no obstructions.

Class III: Difficult, large, irregular waves up to four feet, numerous rapids. The course requires some maneuvering of the raft.

Class IV: Very difficult, long, extended rapids that require careful maneuvering of the raft. Powerful irregular waves and dangerous rocks are common. The course is hard to determine and scouting is necessary.

Class V: Long and violent rapids. Large waves that are unavoidable and irregular. Extremely difficult and complex course. Scouting is essential.

Class VI: Maximum difficulty. Nearly impossible and extremely dangerous. Class V carried to the limit of navigability. Involves risk of life.

Hey i think this would be a good catagory but we would need some better classification on the size of the rapid so just post if you have ideas or think i should get this group going

Great idea!! Just don't know if we can do it.

I think you would have to have multiple possibilities for coords, though. White water rivers have multiople rapids, so do you waymark each one (could be a dozen in a very short trip) or the put-in spot, or what?? And, I'm sure not taking the time to snap coords and take pictures while I'm shooting the rapids! So, viewpoint Waymarking for this category?

Here is one classification system:

ROW Adventures

Class I: Very small rapids with low waves, slow current, no obstructions.

Class II: Fairly frequent rapids of medium difficulty, few or no obstructions.

Class III: Difficult, large, irregular waves up to four feet, numerous rapids. The course requires some maneuvering of the raft.

Class IV: Very difficult, long, extended rapids that require careful maneuvering of the raft. Powerful irregular waves and dangerous rocks are common. The course is hard to determine and scouting is necessary.

Class V: Long and violent rapids. Large waves that are unavoidable and irregular. Extremely difficult and complex course. Scouting is essential.

Class VI: Maximum difficulty. Nearly impossible and extremely dangerous. Class V carried to the limit of navigability. Involves risk of life.

i was thinking maybe what we could do is say they had to be a certain size or i like the idea of a place to put in

Dawgs

After reading your request to start another group I had to chime in.

Before you start up another Category I would suggest that you concentrate on making Skateboard Parks a little more interesting first. That Category ( Skateboard Parks) is currently on probation as it does not even have the approiate amount of Officers. I also am aware that officers abandoned the category for reasons I think it not conducive to post here. FOR those interested this comment came with the Peer Review

'Groundspeak' commented that they had "no idea why the category passed but now that it has officers should work on the details and variables"; and although I believe the Category Skateboards should be on this site, the description page in my opinion needs work it does not in my opinion draw waymarkers to waymark any Skateboard Parks; I suggest that you add some variables so that Skateboarders would know what to expect ;like does it have

rails, jumps, ledges, flat banks, and even ramps.

A web link were waymarkers could locate a skateboard park would also be highly attractive and draw waymarkers to your Category. Like this one.

http://www.skateboardparks.com/

My suggestion is too Make your first Category really, really work before you go creating another one.

Edited by chstress53

I agree that some effort should be put into improving Skate Parks before any new categories are created.

On topic: Don't most major rapids have names like "Devil's Toilet Bowl" or something? You could center the category around these names.

maybe put ins our named rapids

I agree that some effort should be put into improving Skate Parks before any new categories are created.

On topic: Don't most major rapids have names like "Devil's Toilet Bowl" or something? You could center the category around these names.

I like that category too, as my daughter shoots rapids.

.....but what in the 'ell do you mean by - Quote ->maybe put ins our named rapids??? ;)

Edited by Jake39

I like that category too, as my daughter shoots rapids.

.....but what in the 'ell do you mean by - Quote ->maybe put ins our named rapids??? ;)

the coords of places to put in a kayak or raft or possibly the coords of actual named rapids i am trying to decide between the two

post Oct 9 2006, 10:10 AMPost #11

Dawgs Rule !!!!!!!!!!

Group: Premium Members

I like the idea of places to put in

Sorry.. I didn't know that you call launch sites "put ins" when launching kayaks etc.. :laughing:

I am a sailor and we launch our boats, so I wasn't familiar with that term at all ;)

paddle.gifpaddle.gif

Edited by Jake39

Yeah, they are called put ins.

Isn't there a category for put ins? I think that it's probably better to just stick with rapids. If a good way of qualifying it could be decided on.

i think that i will probally do the rapids but do you guys think i should stick with named rapids because we dont want little ripples so i dont know how we could do it maybe they would submit a picture of the rapid and then we could tell them if it would be acceptable or not

There is already a category for canoe kayak journey access points. ie places to launch and park.

As an experienced white water kayaker, like some of the other posters of this thread, recording the rapids coords will only be possible from a stable eddy or from the bank when inspecting (scouting) it. Both of which I'm sure an experienced canoeist or kayaker can do. Now taking a picture of said rapid . Hmmm ..... Would prefer to do that from the bank. Camera not waterproof.

I like the proposal, as it would compliment the river guide book description, by locating exactly where the next POI is on the river. POI = Point of interest. ususally preceded by a LES = Last eddy Syndrome. I digress.

The nature of canoesport has changed. Younger paddlers are looking for the short contained canoe experience, not the long journey of old. Although in UK, the river journey is still part of the club scene. I generalise. Guide books are now including information about notable play spots on a river. So a category about static canoe sites might appeal to younger audience.

Perhaps following on from the theme of skateparks, the category could be 'Park and Huck' canoe features. These are playspots on water, and require no complex shuttling of cars, and provide a place to perform acrobat stunts in your canoe or kayak. eg AUGSBURG artificial slalom course built for 1972 Olympics, Holme Pierrepont (UK) and Skelwith Force Skelwith Force UK river guide

Famous ones are Skookumchuck tidal feature Skooumchuck, Tryweryn WW course

This category will appeal to white water canoeists and at first sight may be too specific. But I feel any waymarker can add to this proposed category. We all come across canoeists enjoying the river on our walks. A bit of research to see whether rapid has been canoed may be needed before submitting. I can think of a few 'falls' near me which are getting serious inspection, and are off the river grading scale. (There is already a category for natural waterfalls.)

As I'm not a Premium member, I may even join to help with this category :-) :P

There is already a category for canoe kayak journey access points. ie places to launch and park.

As an experienced white water kayaker, like some of the other posters of this thread, recording the rapids coords will only be possible from a stable eddy or from the bank when inspecting (scouting) it. Both of which I'm sure an experienced canoeist or kayaker can do. Now taking a picture of said rapid . Hmmm ..... Would prefer to do that from the bank. Camera not waterproof.

I like the proposal, as it would compliment the river guide book description, by locating exactly where the next POI is on the river. POI = Point of interest. ususally preceded by a LES = Last eddy Syndrome. I digress.

The nature of canoesport has changed. Younger paddlers are looking for the short contained canoe experience, not the long journey of old. Although in UK, the river journey is still part of the club scene. I generalise. Guide books are now including information about notable play spots on a river. So a category about static canoe sites might appeal to younger audience.

Perhaps following on from the theme of skateparks, the category could be 'Park and Huck' canoe features. These are playspots on water, and require no complex shuttling of cars, and provide a place to perform acrobat stunts in your canoe or kayak. eg AUGSBURG artificial slalom course built for 1972 Olympics, Holme Pierrepont (UK) and Skelwith Force Skelwith Force UK river guide

Famous ones are Skookumchuck tidal feature Skooumchuck, Tryweryn WW course

This category will appeal to white water canoeists and at first sight may be too specific. But I feel any waymarker can add to this proposed category. We all come across canoeists enjoying the river on our walks. A bit of research to see whether rapid has been canoed may be needed before submitting. I can think of a few 'falls' near me which are getting serious inspection, and are off the river grading scale. (There is already a category for natural waterfalls.)

As I'm not a Premium member, I may even join to help with this category :-) :P

I think what we could do is get coords as close as possible to the rapid atleast so you could be maybe 20 feet from it same with pictures