Portugal Geodetic Points icon

The sub-category Portugal Geodetic Points, under Benchmarks, has this icon: esp_bench.gif

The Canadian have this one: can_bench.gif - CAN for CANada.

The Australians and the British have the "regular" ones, just like the US benchmarks.

Now, the Spanish benchmarks, name Vértices Geodésicos have this one esp_bench.gif.

My question is...

esp_bench.gif What does ESP stands for in the Portuguese Geodetic Points?

I hope it's not ESPaña (Spain)...

Tell me I'm wrong.

Thank you

Edit: spelling

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella

The sub-category Portugal Geodetic Points, under Benchmarks, has this icon: esp_bench.gif

The Australians and the British have the "regular" ones, just like the US benchmarks.

My question is...

esp_bench.gif What does ESP stands for?

Tell me I'm wrong.

Thank you

Last time I checked, Portugal was still part of Spain, but from 1639 to the present there might have been some changes to the political organization of such nations. Aren't you sure it isn't an acronym for "E"spaço "S"inalizado (pelo) "P"ortelada ?

Now, the Spanish benchmarks, name Vértices Geodésicos have this one esp_bench.gif.

My question is...

esp_bench.gif What does ESP stands for in the Portuguese Geodetic Points?

Tell me I'm wrong.

Thank you

Edit: spelling

From this earlier thread it just looks like the icon did not get changed. Each icon is made individually, they are "reused" until a new one can be created.

My question is...

esp_bench.gif What does ESP stands for?

Tell me I'm wrong.

Thank you

Last time I checked, Portugal was still part of Spain, but from 1639 to the present there might have been some changes to the political organization of such nations. Aren't you sure it isn't an acronym for "E"spaço "S"inalizado (pelo) "P"ortelada ?

Ummmm....I thought Portugal was an independant nation, different language even.... :D

From this earlier thread it just looks like the icon did not get changed. Each icon is made individually, they are "reused" until a new one can be created.

Thanks for pointing out that discussion.

But sadly, I've read this:

Koko tends to do these new icons in a batch so I'll let her know of your requests. Hopefully some changes can be made shortly.

Could I put the Bowling Centres icon onto Koko's List. The racquet does not seem to be appropriate.

Thanks Koko, the new icon looks much better. :cry:

Seems that the bowling centre is slightly more important than a name of a country.

Guess this would happen too if instead of USA we had VEN (of Venezuela), right?

Ummmm....I thought Portugal was an independant nation, different language even.... :cry:

I was obviously joking, sorry. We're independent from Spain since 1640. The acronym had some references to a fellow geocacher with plans to hide a micro cache in every geodetic marker available.

Well, this is slightly off-topic but.... Portugal is not independent since 1640. Portugal was founded in 1143, and since then it has been an independent country. However, between 1580 and 1640, Portugal had the same king as Castilla, which, for those who don't know, is basically current Spain.

Even if technically speaking Portugal had lost its independence in 1580, we couldn't say that it became independent in 1640. It would had became free in 1640. Same way Austria or Chzecoslavaquia didn't became independent in 1945, they just had gained their freedom back.

Just as a trivia, Portugal is the oldest country in Europe with its current borders, and probably of the whole world.

And yes, we all praise the established priorities around here...............

I think you are totally correct. Maybe you're chosen delivery method isn't the most effective, but if I said that then it would be "Pot... meet Kettle..."

Perhaps if you ask Koko or TPTB to 'update' the icon, and provide the correct letters with a referrence that verifies your facts, then it would work.

One of mine had an icon that I didn't care for, as it was not indicative of the category. I asked politely for a correction, and it was done within a day or two.

I'm one of the first to scream bloody murder when something gets shoved through that is "American Only" when it could be international. But if the icon had CA on it instead of CDN, then I would research to find out which is more appropriate. I would hope CDN would be chosen since I think of California when I see CA.

If you're the leader and you would like something, then ask for it. If you're not, then take it up with the leader.

<_< The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

I think you are totally correct. Maybe you're chosen delivery method isn't the most effective, but if I said that then it would be "Pot... meet Kettle..."

Perhaps if you ask Koko or TPTB to 'update' the icon, and provide the correct letters with a referrence that verifies your facts, then it would work.

One of mine had an icon that I didn't care for, as it was not indicative of the category. I asked politely for a correction, and it was done within a day or two.

I'm one of the first to scream bloody murder when something gets shoved through that is "American Only" when it could be international. But if the icon had CA on it instead of CDN, then I would research to find out which is more appropriate. I would hope CDN would be chosen since I think of California when I see CA.

If you're the leader and you would like something, then ask for it. If you're not, then take it up with the leader.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

Have you read this? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...pic=134551&

That's the leader asking in last June, and that's TPTB answering it would be done in the "next" batch. Bowling alleys or something got it, we don't. Are they the same? Yes, they're both categories. Is the relevance the same? NO.

I've sent a private message to Opinionate asking him about information about this issue, about a week ago. Got no answer.

I've spoken to the leader and he got no answer, too. I've only raised the tone because this was forgotten and we're lacking answers.

Should we be quiet, even after they promised something some months ago? Something that might take... 5? 10 minutes at the most? After all, it's only 3 letters.

Have you read this? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...pic=134551&

That's the leader asking in last June, and that's TPTB answering it would be done in the "next" batch. Bowling alleys or something got it, we don't. Are they the same? Yes, they're both categories. Is the relevance the same? NO.

I've sent a private message to Opinionate asking him about information about this issue, about a week ago. Got no answer.

I've spoken to the leader and he got no answer, too. I've only raised the tone because this was forgotten and we're lacking answers.

Should we be quiet, even after they promised something some months ago? Something that might take... 5? 10 minutes at the most? After all, it's only 3 letters.

And if you would have checked before posting, you got you new icon before posting your last message.

Yes I did read that other thread... it was rather like a copy of this one, so I posted my reply in this one. In fact, I also posted in that other thread yesterday, just before you did.

My post was intended to suggest a path to follow.

Here's another.... instead of saying to Groundspeak "Finally, after months of waiting." you could say "Thank you, it means a lot to me"

Customer Service works better when the customer is polite too. Gets them better service in the long run. Trust me, I fix photocopiers :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy your new icon for the benchmarks you are active with. I had nothing to do with it, I'm not a Groundspeak Lackey.

;) The Blue Quasar

Here's another.... instead of saying to Groundspeak "Finally, after months of waiting." you could say "Thank you, it means a lot to me"

Customer Service works better when the customer is polite too. Gets them better service in the long run. Trust me, I fix photocopiers :anicute:

Hope you enjoy your new icon for the benchmarks you are active with. I had nothing to do with it, I'm not a Groundspeak Lackey.

:anicute: The Blue Quasar

Why should I be the only one polite here? They didn't even bother to reply to any of my messages or threads.

So:

- If you'd left a customer waiting for 3 months for his copier to get fixed

- he tries to call you asking when will you do it and you don't bother to answer

- you notice he's not pleased with the waiting

- and finally you get his copier fixed after that waiting

are you really waiting for a warm "thank you, thank you so much, you're very kind, this means a lot to me", even tough he's paying you for fixing it? (yes, I'm PM).

I'd be the first to yell a big Thank you if things would get fixed when they told us.

There are limits. We should not bend that much.