can we reset GPS like 'zero'ing a scale? - accuracy issues

bfoust

I've got a Garmin ForeTrex 101 low-end backpacking GPS and have lately been having difficulty finding caches and think that my unit is somehow not calibrated correctly. I didnt find any menu options for that however.

Is it possible to re-calibrate a GPS? is it necessary at times? or this just the poor performace that you see from a low-end device?

Thanks

Bill

No they can not and don't need calibration.

The Foretrex should be as accurate as any other GPSr out there. Being low end does not affect accuracy. Its reception under poor conditions may not be as good as some newer models, but accuracy levels should be fine.

I've got a Garmin ForeTrex 101 low-end backpacking GPS and have lately been having difficulty finding caches and think that my unit is somehow not calibrated correctly. I didnt find any menu options for that however.

Is it possible to re-calibrate a GPS? is it necessary at times? or this just the poor performace that you see from a low-end device?

Thanks

Bill

Check that it's set to the proper datum: WGS-84.

Thanks

Bill

Check that it's set to the proper datum: WGS-84.

There should be an option to do a new search for the satellites. Try doing that and letting the gps reset the satellite almanacs. Check your owners manual

There should be an option to do a new search for the satellites. Try doing that and letting the gps reset the satellite almanacs. Check your owners manual

I find that mine starts from a new location each time it powers on.

Maybe leave it in an open area for a long time to get its bearing again or something?