Is there a PDA coin?

rasj & Stacey

I have seen the GPS shaped coins out there, so has anyone made a PDA shaped coin for the paperless cachers? :laughing:

Not yet. You volunteering?

I wish, but I'm broke. :unsure:

I may can scrape up enough to buy a couple though. :D

The way a lot coins are produced these days, you don't have to spend a dime, just get everyone else to spend their money for you.

I have seen the GPS shaped coins out there, so has anyone made a PDA shaped coin for the paperless cachers? :laughing:

Not yet. You volunteering?

I wish, but I'm broke. :unsure:

I may can scrape up enough to buy a couple though. :D

The way a lot coins are produced these days, you don't have to spend a dime, just get everyone else to spend their money for you.

In fact, now that it has been mentioned I am sure that artwork will appear within weeks. All it takes is mentioning it and someone will take your idea and make it realty.

My recommendation to you would be to contact Oakcoins,Crake or any other coin minter. Give them the idea and see if they will run with the design. Many times they will give a kick back for giving the suggestion. At least you can take pride in getting your idea minted instead of someone else stealing your idea and taking credit for it.

Andy and Lori from 6 Feet More sent me this sketch of their idea for just such a coin back in late August.

6fmpda.jpg

I thought it was very clever and encouraged them to contact a minting company to discuss it because I was just too swamped to take on the project.

I know how things work on the forums, and there's no real "claim" that can be had on who comes up with these ideas and who gets to do them. But I figured I'd post this little gem for them in hopes they'd like to be involved in such a coin's production.

Oh, I'm not going to have one made. I'll leave that up to the pros. I was just curious if one existed already. It would be a neat coin though. I thought about it last night and imagined a coin very similar to what was just posted. The screen could be glow in the dark with epoxy covering just the screen area. It would look pretty cool I think, especially at night. Hopefully someone out there will produce one someday. Till then I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

:laughing:

Great news, everyone! The coin idea has been adopted by Coins and Pins! Aaron is working to refine the rough draft I submitted.

Rasj, the glow-in-the-dark screen was what I was thinking, too.

I will keep you posted on the progress . . .

I think you'll be delighted with their work. They've done 90% of the coins we've made.

Hello,

We usually like to take our time with stock projects (4 to 6 months) to ensure quality over quantity. Rushed projects usually have some kind of issues. In this case we are going to try something unique with this coin that has never been done with coins before (and I don't mean just geocoins). It is a feature that we have wanted to do for over two years, and the subject of this coin is perfect for it. After the design is worked out, we will make experimental coins to ensure it will all work out. If it does not work, then we will have to go a different direction. It actualy may be much more work to add this feature than it is worth in time and stress, but it is worth a try.

So, due to the logistics of this special feature, it will take time and production sampling to ensure it is market worthy. I hope to have it ready by March or April; earlier if things go right the first time.

...and no we will not reveal this feature until testing is complete :D . Hmmmm...mystery and speculation time!

Thank you

Wow... all of this by just askin' a question? AWE_SOME!!

Okay, I have a few months to prepare. If I start rolling my loose change now, I should have enough to buy several when the time comes. Next I have to work on my timing.. i *almost* lost out on the Magic 8-ball coins for being slow. I figure if I practice left clicking the mouse with one hand, hittng Ctrl-R with the other I just may have a shot at this! Man there's so much to do though. So much to do. I have to learn to type really fast too. Getting hung up on that pesky "type in your address" screen could cost me valuable time. Maybe i should move to the midwest and train with the pro collectors. I hear they have a hard core training facility out there, and they have put out some world champions. But then I'll lose my job, which is okay I suppose because it just gets in they way of ordering coins ANYway. All I hear is "Are you ever going to do anything except look at those coins?" and they distract me from concentrating. Yeah to heck with the job, they're just holding me back.

Okay CoinsAndPins, you go ahead and make those coins.... and when you're ready to sell, I'll be waitin'.

I'm gonna be all over that website like stink on a bull's.. well you know. Ill be ready and I aint' playin' neither!

:D

Wow... all of this by just askin' a question? AWE_SOME!!

Okay, I have a few months to prepare. If I start rolling my loose change now, I should have enough to buy several when the time comes. Next I have to work on my timing.. i *almost* lost out on the Magic 8-ball coins for being slow. I figure if I practice left clicking the mouse with one hand, hittng Ctrl-R with the other I just may have a shot at this! Man there's so much to do though. So much to do. I have to learn to type really fast too. Getting hung up on that pesky "type in your address" screen could cost me valuable time. Maybe i should move to the midwest and train with the pro collectors. I hear they have a hard core training facility out there, and they have put out some world champions. But then I'll lose my job, which is okay I suppose because it just gets in they way of ordering coins ANYway. All I hear is "Are you ever going to do anything except look at those coins?" and they distract me from concentrating. Yeah to heck with the job, they're just holding me back.

Okay CoinsAndPins, you go ahead and make those coins.... and when you're ready to sell, I'll be waitin'.

I'm gonna be all over that website like stink on a bull's.. well you know. Ill be ready and I aint' playin' neither!

Hello,

I just wanted to give an update about this coin:

We have worked out the hardest part of the coin design, but there are still some details to put together so it will work well. We are hoping to have samples ready in time for the GecoinFest if all goes according to plan. It could still fail, and my production manager isn't so sure about it :ph34r:. However, it won't be the first time we have pushed the limits.

Thank you.

Will it be a working PDA????? i mean one we can store waypoints on and everything that would be soooo coool. save some for me don't sell out like the magic coins. or compass coins. or every other nice coin that youve made that ive wanted :yikes:

<_<

We have had some issues with getting wireless capability from some providers, but I think we may have finalized a deal with Palm technology. HP has also helped some with blue-tooth, but they want too much money.

It will be the only geocoin with a tech support team. We are now accepting applications for tech support personnel and started a toll-free number so people can resolve bugs in the operating system. You will be able to get protective cases, ear-phones, and link the coin to your laptop GPS antenna to easily detect other coins in caches.

No…not really.

Udate again:

It has taken longer than expected working out engineering, and the dies will end up costing over $900.00. So we won't be able to have a prototype out until the first part of March. I wanted to have them ready for show at the Geocoinfest, but at least they will be ready well before GW5.

Thank you.

Udate again:

It has taken longer than expected working out engineering, and the dies will end up costing over $900.00. So we won't be able to have a prototype out until the first part of March. I wanted to have them ready for show at the Geocoinfest, but at least they will be ready well before GW5.

Thank you.

Wow! That's an expensive set of dies.

Thanks for the update........Anthus

Udate again:

Thank you.

Wow! That's an expensive set of dies.

Thanks for the update........Anthus

With that price for dies can you imagine the price for the coin :cool: .

Wash-n-wear tungsten!

About 2 weeks ago my tungsten went through the wash with my sheets. Here I was getting ready for an out of town trip for a week, looking forward to caching and no palm. I was sad, very sad. Came back after a week, crossed my fingers and toes hoping that it would power up now that it was dry. No luck. Stuck it in the cradle. OMG, it powered up. I was even able to sync it. But when I took it off the cradle, it died. Bought a replacement battery, installed it (very easy!) and voila, my Tungsten is almost as good as new. In honor of this trusty stead, I would like to get one of these coins and release it. So please put me on your list.

Cheers,

nooks

All my training seems to be paying off. I can now refresh my screen, and add items to my "training cart" in less than .2 milliseconds. I will be camping at work until the coin is released, so that I can take advantage of the T1 connection. Yes, I no longer have any friends, and all of my co-workers whisper about me behind my back..... but it's all about the coin baby!

If I miss out on this coin, I will probably sink deep into depression, shave my head and start weraing lipstick, all the while chanting "it put's the lotion on it's skin"

And yeah, I'll probably install a dark room in my house, and start developing weird pictures of geocoins taken from funny angles, and hanging them on my walls...... you all know the scene... so please coins and pins... you wouldn't want to see me fall off of the deep end would ya? Help save me! Save a coin for me!

:huh:

Udate again:

Thank you.

Any updates on this?

Udate again:

Thank you.

Any updates on this?

Yea, curious minds Need to know!!!

:angry: Pssst, nobody heard this from me, okay? :D

I was emailed a picture of the prototype PDA geocoin. It looked good in the sample pics that I was shown, but I understand from the minter that the coin was sort of an under-perfomer out of the box. I don't understand all the technical jargon but there was something about a second prototype being made due to short circuits, excessive battery drain, and software problems. Besides that, there may be a need for a total redesign of the casing and circuitry to prevent the aforementioned shortcomings. I also hear there is talk in the redesign of possibly eliminating the stylus and using speech recognition.

But . . . remember . . . you didn't hear it from me :angry:

Edited by 6 Feet More

Did I miss out on these? :lol:

They were for sale several weeks ago at Coins and Pins. I don't see them in their inventory, but they'll probably reappear since most of their coins do.

The PDA coins have been on the Coins and Pins sight twice now. The last time it was just the nickel version and that was for just a day I think. They were gone pretty fast.

The PDA coins have been on the Coins and Pins sight twice now. The last time it was just the nickel version and that was for just a day I think. They were gone pretty fast.

I've seen them again right now (nickel only).

Edited by wutzebear

Just recently started caching and instantly fell in love with geocoins and this one sounds excellent. Tried to just catch a glimpse of one at Coins and Pins but couldn't find a picture.

Anyone have a picture available? I'd love to be able to pick one of these up, but that seems pretty unlikely so would really appreciate being able to see a picture if possible.

thanks!

-c