Remembering which Caches have been found.

How do you record and remember which caches you have found. Now, I've only found 59 caches and am new to this caper and I know some people have found thousands. How do you remember which caches you have found and therefore which ones you need to find??

Does this mean more paper or is there a better and easier way to record and remember. The brain is not as good as it used to be. :laughing::rolleyes:

If you are a premium member you can set up a pocket query that will give you all of your finds. You can have them sent to your e-mail account in either gpx or loc file types. These can then be loaded onto your gps. You may also have your pocket queries set up so that it will give you only those caches that you havn't found. Then you will only have caches you are interested in showing up as waypoints. These files need to be loaded onto your gps as seperate files so that you can either display one or the other. Does this make sense? If you can let us know what type of gps you have you may get some responses that are specific to your unit. I have a Magellan eXplorist 210. It is pretty much made for caching, with the ability to display both a waypoint file and a geocache file. I'm not sure how others work.

If there are more experienced cachers that can add to this, please do....

If you are a premium member you can set up a pocket query that will give you all of your finds. You can have them sent to your e-mail account in either gpx or loc file types. These can then be loaded onto your gps. You may also have your pocket queries set up so that it will give you only those caches that you havn't found. Then you will only have caches you are interested in showing up as waypoints. These files need to be loaded onto your gps as seperate files so that you can either display one or the other. Does this make sense? If you can let us know what type of gps you have you may get some responses that are specific to your unit. I have a Magellan eXplorist 210. It is pretty much made for caching, with the ability to display both a waypoint file and a geocache file. I'm not sure how others work.

If there are more experienced cachers that can add to this, please do....

I'm actually using a Magellan 315 GPS but I would rather keep the listing on my computer rather than on the GPS.

> I'm actually using a Magellan 315 GPS but I would rather keep the listing on my computer

> rather than on the GPS.

Understand. Do you have the Magellan geocache manager. It came with my gps, I don't know how many others have this software as well. If you receive your pocket queries in gpx format they can be viewed easily. The software also loads the geocache files directly to your gps when it is connected to the computer. You can either do this or simply leave it on the computer to view whenever you choose. I load mine on my gps just so I have them, and so I can see what is close to other caches that I've already visited.

The great thing about gpx files is that they have more information included then the loc files do. You can use both. If you have mapsend you can also view them in mapsend. For this you must have the loc files. Use GPS Babel and convert them to a Mapsend format. Then load them into mapsend as a waypoint file.

Does any of this makes sense?

> I'm actually using a Magellan 315 GPS but I would rather keep the listing on my computer

> rather than on the GPS.

Understand. Do you have the Magellan geocache manager. It came with my gps, I don't know how many others have this software as well. If you receive your pocket queries in gpx format they can be viewed easily. The software also loads the geocache files directly to your gps when it is connected to the computer. You can either do this or simply leave it on the computer to view whenever you choose. I load mine on my gps just so I have them, and so I can see what is close to other caches that I've already visited.

The great thing about gpx files is that they have more information included then the loc files do. You can use both. If you have mapsend you can also view them in mapsend. For this you must have the loc files. Use GPS Babel and convert them to a Mapsend format. Then load them into mapsend as a waypoint file.

Does any of this makes sense?

Thanks "biosearch" and others for your answers. I can do all this within Pocket Queries and use GSAK to view the .gpx files. Got it!! :unsure::laughing:

I also use GSAK to filter found caches (and archive and temporarily disabled caches) out of my not found caches that I load onto the GPS. I also use GSAK to create a .gpx files that I load on the GPS using POI Loader so that I have a listing of all the caches in the area. That is extremely useful when planting a new cache and wondering about proximity to other caches.