Cable and Setting to Connect Garmin 60csx and Cachmate on PocketPC

KTrentLR

Cable and Setting to Connect Garmin 60csx and Cachemate on PocketPC

I have a Garmin 60csx and a Pocket PC (Audiovox PPC6700 running windows mobile 5). I'm running Cachemate on the PocketPC.

The cable to upload/download information from my PC to my Garmin 60csx is the exact same cable I use for my PocketPC. (mini USB).

I purchased a USB cable with Mini USB ports on both ends, hoping to connect the Pocket PC with my Garmin 60csx. Hoping to be able to use GPS software on my PocketPC which would obtain information from the GPSr.

Currently the only GPS type software on my PocketPC is Cachemate. I can't seem to get Cachemate to see the GPSr unit.

Do I need a different cable? My PC is able to get GPS information from the Garmin using the Mini USB cable - why can't the pocket PC?

Are there specific setting I need to set in Cachemate to have it communicate with the GPSr using the USB cable with mini connectors at both ends?

Thanks!

I don't think you can use the USB cable. Cachemate (PDA) to GPS communication is a 2 way conversation and that's not supported by USB. I purchased an old PDA on ebay for paperless caching and I made sure I bought one with a serial connection. It works just fine with both the Magellan and Garmin plugins. I had to purchase a null modem connector to join my serial cables ($4) and I can now transfer points from the PDA to my GPS and Cachemate can receive coords from the GPS to do searches (no typing!). It's not really been a great saving for my Garmin because I can load unlimited caches as POIs anyway but GPS's that are limited to 500 waypoints (like our old serial Magellans) can benefit from the PDA upload. I really only tried it because I thought it would be cool.

Ok, I did a search and actually found this topic on google. I am wondering if after a year and a half now, there is a way to connect a GPS and PocketPC PDA. I have the 60csx GPS and a new iPaq 111.

Is there anyway to do this with a USB cable? (my first choice)

Or, are there any gadgets out there that can connect to a GPS and transmit its info by bluetooth? (I figure that's a stretch, but I should ask)

I know there are cheap bluetooth GPSrs which I could use for the PDA to get a signal, but I would also like to be able to download caches into the GPS from the PDA.

thanks for any help.

I may not be answering the correct question...but... I use GSAK and export to the mapsource program for the GPS, AND export to cachemate for the PDA. I use the standard usb port for both.

The main thing I would like to be able to do is upload waypoints to my GPS from my PDA. Having the GPS function as a receiver for the PDA would be great as well, but I obviously don't need that if I have the GPS with me. I have come across old 2005 discussions about a program call G7toWinCE which did what I want, but it looks like it hasn't been updated recently. So I was wondering if there was any modern PocketPC applications that transferred GPX file info to the GPS?

Very few PDAs can act as USB hosts (which is what you need to connect to the GPSr). Even for those that can, there are no drivers available.

So the Z22 I bought recently when my old Palm Zire went flaky won't be able to send waypoints to a GPSr? The Zire had a serial port, but the Z22 is mini-USB. In the future, to send waypoints from Cachemate, I'll need a GPSr and a PDA that have Bluetooth?

Patty

So the Z22 I bought recently when my old Palm Zire went flaky won't be able to send waypoints to a GPSr? The Zire had a serial port, but the Z22 is mini-USB.

Correct.

In the future, to send waypoints from Cachemate, I'll need a GPSr and a PDA that have Bluetooth?

If that will work. I've never personally tried waypoint transfer with that kind of setup, but if someone wants to chime in who has...

In the future, to send waypoints from Cachemate, I'll need a GPSr and a PDA that have Bluetooth?

If that will work. I've never personally tried waypoint transfer with that kind of setup, but if someone wants to chime in who has...

Is there some other GPSr to PDA connection you have used with Cachemate? Or it just isn't a combination that you've personally tried?

Patty

Is there some other GPSr to PDA connection you have used with Cachemate? Or it just isn't a combination that you've personally tried?

The only combinations I've personally tried have involved serial sync cables connected to serial GPS cables via null modem adapters, because that's what I have. There are special serial cables to connect PDAs to GPS receivers, but for the most part they're electrically identical to that combination.

I haven't personally tried anything else. I do know that there is no Palm OS device out there with USB host capabilities, which is what you need to connect it to another USB non-host device (such as a GPS receiver). As for waypoint transfer over a Bluetooth connection, I don't have the hardware for that. The only Bluetooth hardware I have are a few PDAs and a Bluetooth GPS receiver that doesn't store waypoints anyway.

To send/acquire data to/from GPS unit:

1. PDA with host USB

2. G7ToCE : http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

programme for WM5: http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7toce_ppc_2003_armv4.zip

3. GPS with serial connection

4. Cable . I recommend : http://pc-mobile.net/grdc.htm

(4a. for FS Loox N560 : GRFLX - simpliest way, you can use GFLX + serial cable from unit manufacturer too)

Some screenshots and photos:

taking screenshot at frozen lake:

aaimg2052mf6.jpg

screenshot from ETrexLegend - same position:

aacapture043anu4.jpg

taking waypoints:

aaimg1815tf9.jpg

screenshot from GPSMap60CS done at home:

bcapture015dm8.jpg

Nice programme. Possibility to work ( and play ) everywhere.

Christopher

1. PDA with host USB

It appears from the screen shots that you have some sort of PocketPC PDA. Since the person who started this thread and the person who restarted it recently both have PocketPCs, they'd probably appreciate knowing what kind you have that offers USB host mode.

For myself, I have Palms, and as Maeglin confirmed, they don't do host mode through a USB connection.

Patty

1. PDA with host USB

2. G7ToCE : http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

programme for WM5: http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7toce_ppc_2003_armv4.zip

3. GPS with serial connection

4. Cable . I recommend : http://pc-mobile.net/grdc.htm

(4a. for FS Loox N560 : GRFLX - simpliest way, you can use GFLX + serial cable from unit manufacturer too)

Some screenshots and photos:

taking screenshot at frozen lake:

aaimg2052mf6.jpg

screenshot from ETrexLegend - same position:

aacapture043anu4.jpg

taking waypoints:

aaimg1815tf9.jpg

screenshot from GPSMap60CS done at home:

bcapture015dm8.jpg

Nice programme. Possibility to work ( and play ) everywhere.

Christopher

So basically, I am out of luck if my PDA doesn't support USB Host Mode? I researched it and it looks like the iPAQ 110/111 does not support it.

I tried the whole POI option as suggested above, but as far as I could get out of anyone, I couldn't show the geocache POI without also showing the internal map POI. I would like to be able to see the caches zoomed way out just as with the waypoints, but not have the map POIs show at all at any zoom level. I guess, I am stuck with the 1000 waypoint limit to work with.

1. PDA with host USB

It appears from the screen shots that you have some sort of PocketPC PDA. Since the person who started this thread and the person who restarted it recently both have PocketPCs, they'd probably appreciate knowing what kind you have that offers USB host mode.

For myself, I have Palms, and as Maeglin confirmed, they don't do host mode through a USB connection.

Patty

It is Fujitsu Siemens Loox N560 , it's written above - "FS N560" . :(

Custom Poi's can be set to show up at a higher level then the internal poi's(from Garmin). When you select one you have the choice in the 60/76 series to save it as a waypoint, plus you can choice the geocache symbol and use it like a regular geocache point for navigation and marking found.

There is a serial/Irda interface available. Personally, played around with it but in the end, using custom poi's, i didn't find connecting the two devices together to be much use. I haver a iPaq 2190with a serial port. Which I believe is not available in the classic series. SAdly, they haven't add usb host mode.

Ok, I did a search and actually found this topic on google. I am wondering if after a year and a half now, there is a way to connect a GPS and PocketPC PDA. I have the 60csx GPS and a new iPaq 111.

Is there anyway to do this with a USB cable? (my first choice)

Or, are there any gadgets out there that can connect to a GPS and transmit its info by bluetooth? (I figure that's a stretch, but I should ask)

I know there are cheap bluetooth GPSrs which I could use for the PDA to get a signal, but I would also like to be able to download caches into the GPS from the PDA.

thanks for any help.

Check this out and see if it might help you out. http://www.semsons.com/bluetcarchar3.html