The Geocaching Zone - a four piece set

nscaler

As an impartial person from the UK I think all the suggestions of ways to include the other two states really spoil what was a really nice, clean design.

Personally, I don't see what's wrong with saying this is about these four time-zones. I mean, nothing on the coin (unless I missed it) said anything about it representing the whole of the USA and if people are being offended because their time-zone isn't included, what about those of us on the other side of "the pond"? We cache too you know! :D

Maybe this should be the first of several mini-series of coins about time zones... :D

Seriously, I'd go with it as it is and keep the lovely design you have.

B.

Don't give in to everyone complaining and just leave Alaska & Hawaii off it. Adding them in looks utterly awful and I wouldn't be interested in the coin.

Aw man...now I need to go talk to my pastor...he has me convinced I live in paradise due to my ability to walk on water more than half the year :D. I doubt "The Man" himself would advocate leaving paradise off the coin, so now the seeds of doubt have been sown :D.

Don't give in to everyone complaining and just leave Alaska & Hawaii off it. Adding them in looks utterly awful and I wouldn't be interested in the coin.

Aw man...now I need to go talk to my pastor...he has me convinced I live in paradise due to my ability to walk on water more than half the year :D. I doubt "The Man" himself would advocate leaving paradise off the coin, so now the seeds of doubt have been sown :D.

Is that including the sub-zero temperatures in the winter or the "skeeters" in the summer? :D

If it were only the four coins, then the backside ought to be radically changed. Why not have the superimposed Alaska colored in with enamel and the Hawaiian Islands tucked in there with another color enamel and fit the writing in smaller on each section of the 4-coin spread.

Or did someone say this already?

Is that including the sub-zero temperatures in the winter or the "skeeters" in the summer? :D

Trying...to...resist...urge...to...slide...off...topic... Gaaahhhhh!!!

Sledding or skijoring behind our dogs at zero degrees under the aurora is pretty close to paradise :D. I'll defer comment about the skeeters to a skeeter since I can't speak for them...only about them :D.

Back on topic (sorry) :D

If it were only the four coins, then the backside ought to be radically changed. Why not have the superimposed Alaska colored in with enamel and the Hawaiian Islands tucked in there with another color enamel and fit the writing in smaller on each section of the 4-coin spread.

I think just the outline of the two states on the back (front :D )would work. The color of the outline could show the other time zones (clocks in the same color). No names. No zones named. Reformat the lettering around the outlines.

Simple.

And if anyone else wants to start up the other time zones of the world to complement this design or take off with their own design - go for it. :D

Trying...to...resist...urge...to...slide...off...topic... Gaaahhhhh!!!

Sledding or skijoring behind our dogs at zero degrees under the aurora is pretty close to paradise :D. I'll defer comment about the skeeters to a skeeter since I can't speak for them...only about them :D.

Can I come visit you...???

3.jpg

We like snow!!! :D

Oh, wait...that's off-topic, too...

Ummm...Five coins would still be cool...!

Edited by ATMouse

Oh, wait...that's off-topic, too...

Ummm...Five coins would still be cool...!

Trying to keep cost down and keep the design clean.

4 coins only please. :D

Gotcha! (It was a lame attempt to pretend to stay on topic! :D )

I'd like set #11 if possible. My home state, New York, was the 11th state admitted to the Union....

:D

Edited by ATMouse

Back on topic (sorry) :D

I think just the outline of the two states on the back (front :D )would work. The color of the outline could show the other time zones (clocks in the same color). No names. No zones named. Reformat the lettering around the outlines.

Simple.

And if anyone else wants to start up the other time zones of the world to complement this design or take off with their own design - go for it. :D

I like this idea. Perhaps you could split the back half of the Central coin, and put the outline of Alaska and Hawaii on the bottom half?

Gotcha! (It was a lame attempt to pretend to stay on topic! :D )

I'd like set #11 if possible. My home state, New York, was the 11th state admitted to the Union....

:D

This is just a discussion of the design.

Someone else (Oakcoins) will make the coin - eventually.

I think we have something that should keep (just) about everyone happ(ier)y.

Off topic - I am home "ill" recovering. :D

Nothing serious...

Probably going back (sigh) to work tomorrow. :D

A coin of the US without AK&HI is like a BLT without the bacon or for the Texans, a steak sandwich without the bull!

We could always go ahead with the secret plan to secede and then you could do a new country coin: The United State of Alaska.

[tomyself] Probably shouldn't have mentioned the secret plan [/tomyself]

I like a 5th coin. I've already stolen from every piggy bank, gotten a 4th mortgage on the house, sold the car, and the 2 bicycles not to mention the cow; all just to feed my geocoin habit :-P

There are separate state coins available to fit into a map of the U.S.:

CH Quality Coins

Texas sells for only $2.95 while New Jersey sells for only $1.85.

Non trackable coins. Only five coins available now. Only one coin becoming available a month. 4 years for all the coins to become available at that rate. :D

Apparently you get each state you have cached in and drop it into the map.

A coin of the US without AK&HI is like a BLT without the bacon or for the Texans, a steak sandwich without the bull!

We could always go ahead with the secret plan to secede and then you could do a new country coin: The United State of Alaska.

[tomyself] Probably shouldn't have mentioned the secret plan [/tomyself]

I like a 5th coin. I've already stolen from every piggy bank, gotten a 4th mortgage on the house, sold the car, and the 2 bicycles not to mention the cow; all just to feed my geocoin habit :-P

Great, scobey... :D now everyone knows why we're gonna need passports to enter or leave Alaska after Dec 31 2006.

*sigh* I suppose now we'll never see Alaska shown as part of the USA...

Still on topic: I really do like the idea of AK/HI way out in left field, as part of the western US...

you know, the colonial states, where the federal government owns more of the land than anyone else! :D

Not that it matters, until the land is transformed into a National Refuge or National Park or other national reservation

(usually at the urging of non-Alaskans),

where caching is then considered (by administrative code) a criminal activity...

Of course, there IS the option of making an all-Alaska/Hawaii coin;

Alaska happens to span the International Date Line,

so it would in one fell swoop 'scoop' the four time zones of the contiguous 48 states... :D

and let's face it, in a month or two many Alaskans will be headed south to the Aloha State anyhow! :D

nscaler - this is too good an idea to let a few of us rowdy Alaskans derail the concept...

don't hesitate to move forward with an expeditious version!

We simply can't resist reminding the rest of Amerikay that we exist too.

Hope you're feeling better soon as well - even though that means a return to work...

Best regards from NorthWes @ GeocacheAlaska

Hmmmph :rolleyes: - if California suddenly dropped off the map you wouldn't find it so funny... :laughing:

Seriously - isn't it terrific to have a discussion like this & have a 'funniest thread' vote at the conclusion, nscaler?

An unintended but worthy consequence - good job! Thanks again for putting up politely with us rowdy Alaskans...

Got your passports yet?

We like snow!!! :laughing:

C'mon up!!! Just be sure you REALLY want what you asked for...this is a photo of our yard on Saturday morning. Ingrid actually seemed a bit miffed I wasn't carrying a harness for her.

DSCN8457sm.jpg

This was fun! Who'd a thunk geography could be so much fun? And, I'll never look at Tulsa/Kodiak the same way again!

Good luck, guys, with finalizing the coin design and clearing all the production hurdles.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

San Diego Padres?

A game called baseball?

A (0-2) Padres team :ph34r:

And why is this the funniest thread? :o:):(:rolleyes:

The "why is (insert your favorite place, name, diaper brand here) always left out?" part? <_<

And this from someone from California too.

And we will slip off the map eventually too! :laughing::huh::)

Edited by nscaler

And this from someone from California too.

And we will slip off the map eventually too! :rolleyes:<_<:laughing:

The absolute best bumper sticker I ever saw was one on a car in the LA area when I was visiting

"Someday everything east of the San Andreas fault will fall into the Atlantic Ocean"

:ph34r:

Back on topic...

1. I like the 4 time zones idea. Why stop at the US borders, though? Aren't most of Canada, Mexico and even part of South America in "our" time zones. I wonder how those people in Lima, Peru like being in the 'Eastern Time' zone.

timezones.gif

2. So, stopping at the US borders *does* imply that this is a USA centered geocoin. But as was said before, without AK an HI, we're not the USA... only the 'Lower 48'.

I particularly like this GIS result for 'time zones map'

timezones.gif

So AK and HI are shown and even colored, but which zone are they in? Who knows...

3. There was an idea that AK should get included as an 'underlay' outline on the *back* side of the entire coin set. I think this is a great idea! Either like the earlier image posted in this thread or like this one:

akmapdraw.gif

And throw HI on there, too, maybe as a few specks of enamel on the Pacific zone coin. Heck, I think to even label it with the letters 'HI' would be bigger than the state itself. :huh:

4. I'm restating my suggestion to find out what were the very first Geocaches placed in each timezone and mark those on the front with a "*". No extra information necessary about what that * means ... just let it travel by word of mouth.

San Diego Padres?

A game called baseball?

A (0-2) Padres team :laughing:

Oh, this game? Gotta' love summer up here...no one has to ever look at a pitch thrown under the lights.

My apologies if any West of the San Andreas Fault sensibilities were offended by the image of Yankee Stadium.

On topic...note that if AK and HI go to the back of the coin, the overlain images will be most like the image posted by nscaler yesterday at 8:01 a.m.

Edited by Ladybug Kids
I did think that Arizona and Indiana should be different colors, being that they either

well though I am still on the fence with the change, Indiana is not a DST observing state as of spring this year. We, Indiana, are on Eastern DST, until someone decides to change us back to not changing! :laughing:

clay

If someone found just one in a cache, would they understand what they were seeing? Or would a picture of the whole be included? What do you think? I would think the coin I found was one punched with a defect.

Tracy

Since the state outlines are still there.

And the time zone is on the piece.

And most people know (except for AZ and IL :lol: )what time zones are.

:P

Most people will figure it out.

Maybe the person who puts this one coin out in a cache would have in the log something about the other 3 pieces of this puzzle. Each coin is loggable by itself anyway, right?

My two cent worth:

I think the coins should be left exactly as is at the begining of the post.

I think the coins are wonderful as is.

I think that a series of coins can be made from the first set.

Why would you want to put additional zones on the back of the coins? It would only serve to confuse anyone that has their hands on only one coin.

Please do not take me the wrong way, I do not have any issues with any ther time zones. There is no political agenda here. I simply beleave the coins are fine just like thay started out. It is a very clean design. Adding to it , in my opinion, will ruin the design.

Leave it as on four coin set to start. If oakcoins wants to do a series, great. If not, I'm sure someone would pickup the idea and run with it.

Ok, so that might be a little more that 2 cents worth.

C_H

1. The front stays the same.

2. Add AK and HI outlines on the back.

No extra words or symbols.

If you don't like the back - don't look at it. :D

b5d344ef-e0c6-4c19-96b8-e69446936a31.jpg

:D:D

<<Playing "Devil's Advocate" here for a moment.>>

•Placing Alaska across all the coins gives the illusion that it is divided into 4 time zones (Pacific, Mountain, Central, Eastern) :o

•Just dropping the Hawaiian islands into what is illustrated here with no seperation or designation as to what they are will make them lost. Someone viewing the coins without knowledge of the thread here or an explanation will probably think they are just some more of the islands of Alaska.

•You could drop the "Time Zones" titles from the backs, BUT then you are getting away from your orginal theme of the set.

Like you said earlier "You can't please everyone".

It may have been tongue in cheek, but it's the truth.

You have a nice clean attractive design here. Trying to "force" AK & HI into it to please folks in those states is going to detract from it. (Sorry guys & gals, not meant to be a knock)

If you absolutely must include AK & HI, then I would definately add a 5th coin.

If your concern as to whether people will buy them if you add the 5th coin is what is holding you back; If the price is kept resonable, it WILL sell.

D-man ;)

Mmm - it looks so clean as the lower 48 states... leave it. *sigh*

Hugo Chavez is sending oil to needy rural subsistence Alaskans...

I wonder if he'll make us geocoins? B)

(way-ON topic Patriotic Note: Not taking any of V's oil, not fueling at C***o, and I agree with the Prez' dad...)

Not really... it makes AK & HI look like the butt of the US B)

Leave it as a 4 coin set, and i think it will look great!

Yeah - and AK & HI have been the butt of enough comments in this thread too! :)

Aloha Cachers will just have to make their own coin... :D and I'll snap up a few if they do!

We Alaskans already have our own lovely coin, which ignores elementary-school shape-obsessive geography in favor of the natural beauty of the land (Wolves, Denali, the northern taiga forest, the Aurora Borealis, the Big Dipper and the North Star, and of course a prospector searching for a cache...). There's still a very few Alaska 2006 coins available at Geocache Alaska's website for those interested, so I vote to make these Geocaching Zone coins a four-piece set (and I want a set, nscaler!). Anyone who wants a piece of the 49th state can order an Alaska coin or geopin, and if they want a piece of Hawaii I guess they'll just have to fly there and find it themselves! :D

For those wanting to visit Alaska - you should've cruised up in 2006. Next year it'll cost

you $50 more thanks to a new head tax orchestrated by 'green' coalition political action

groups based outside of Alaska - seems the 'Keep Alaska a colony' campaign continues...

In case you missed the Alaska Division of Tourism's edgy 2006 advertising promotion,

I'll leave you with this thumbnail photo of the campaign's giant billboard in Seattle...

it's a great theme!

licenseplate.jpg

(by the way - we don't allow ugly billboards in Alaska - unlike most of the lower contiguous states... :) )

Agree with the previous 3 posts. Keep it a four-coin set.

ditto, what they said.

:)

IMHO, no disrespect to our Hawaiian and Alaskan cachers, but the original idea really only

works with the contiguous lower 48 and you should stick to that. It's clever and will make an

attractive coin set.