Category Proposal: Football Stadiums

To create a sub-category called "Football Stadiums", under the category "Sports and Recreation".

The idea is to waymark fooball stadiums across the world, but only those who hosted the final stages of the major international competitions between countries. Those are:

World Cup Finals

European Championship Finals

Olympic Tournament

Copa América Finals

African Cup of Nations Finals

Asian Cup Finals

CONCACAF Gold Cup Finals

OFC Nations Cup Finals

How does that sound to you?

Sounds ok, but it would not be a sub-Category. You would need to create a group and manage the Category. When you create the Category you can suggest that you think it fits in the directory under Sports & Recreation. We cannot create sub categories only Categories and the index sub-category is only the nomenclature TPTB use to place the Categories within the directory. You start by creating a group and inviting others and then work out the details.

Edited by chstress53

Go for it! :-)

Major international football competitions are very important to whom likes football and countries from all over the world disputes the chance to organize this major competions since they draw the attention of million persons and, thus, the media.

Countries that organize this events invest a lot in their infrastructures. So, this WM category could led waymarkers to see beauty stadiums (real pieces af art in terms of architecture) in well conserved areas of enjoyment, sports and pleasure.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to broaden this idea. "Professional Sports Stadiums" with a variable for each of the sports.

Football (Soccer)

Football (American)

Hockey

Baseball

Basketball

...etc...

you could add more choices as things develop

You could require that they include the Professional team that plays there. For example "Anfield - Home of Liverpool Soccer"

Tossing in my two pense.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Sounds ok, but it would not be a sub-Category. You would need to create a group and manage the Category. When you create the Category you can suggest that you think it fits in the directory under Sports & Recreation. We cannot create sub categories only Categories and the index sub-category is only the nomenclature TPTB use to place the Categories within the directory. You start by creating a group and inviting others and then work out the details.

Thanks for the reply, chstress53. I read the FAQ and thought this would be the procedure. This all started when I tried to waymark my team's stadium, which was also a venue for the Euro 2004 finals. I thought that this could be under sports and recreation.

check out Modern Olympic Venues, it is a similar category.

the title might be difficult--as most americans might not understand the difference between 'football' and 'football americano'.

sounds like a good idea for a category. i hope to seek/log some of them......

Thanks for reference, ChapterhouseInc. The name could be issue... altough, football for the rest of the world is what is known to you (americans) as soccer. Since geocaching is a world wide activity, I'll try to stick to the name "football". :laughing:

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to broaden this idea. "Professional Sports Stadiums" with a variable for each of the sports.

Football (Soccer)

Football (American)

Hockey

Baseball

Basketball

...etc...

You could require that they include the Professional team that plays there. For example "Anfield - Home of Liverpool Soccer"

Tossing in my two pense.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

Hi Blue Quasar, I've thought of that, too. It could be also a good way to go. Let's see.

Thanks for the support, MAntunes. :lol:

I agree there should be a category for outdoor/open-air stadiums for those sports mentioned above (football, American football, lacrosse, and even major league baseball). However, just my personal opinion here, I'd rather see arenas in a separate category. I noticed last week that the arenas locationless cache never transferred over and had thought about creating a management group for it. But now I'll wait to see how this one pans out before proceeding.

Football (Soccer)

Football (American)

Hockey

Baseball

Basketball

...etc...

Tossing in my two pense.

:D The Blue Quasar

I like this idea. But it makes me wonder -- in a drop down variable menu, is it possible to choose more than one variable? Like if a stadium was used for both Football and Baseball, could you select both from the drop down? Just curious.

It seems to me that makes sense to enlarge the original idea to a wider approach of "Professional Sports Stadiums" category with several subcategories that could be added as needed.

But I'd keep the rule of "only those who hosted the final stages of the major international competitions between countries." The prove should be present by referring the tournament that took place in the stadium waymarked.

Or we could end up in a category that only serves to increase numbers in everyone's personal stats and with some WMs of doubtful interest.

Professional Hockey (NHL) Teams = 30

Professional Football (NFL) Teams = 32

Professional Football (CFL) Teams = 8

Professional Baseball (MLB) Teams = 30

Professional Basketball (NBA) Teams = 30

If a category was created to list just "Professional Sports Venues", it hardly appears that there needs to be a requirement for "as long as they hosted a playoff or tournament".

Now I realize that the above is just the North American listings, and there are other sports like soccer, lacrosse, arena football, horse racing, auto racing... but even still.

There would probably be more listings in every "Historic Marker" category, "Firehouses", "McDonald's", "Waterfalls" and countless other categories.

:cry: The Blue Quasar

But I'd keep the rule of "only those who hosted the final stages of the major international competitions between countries." The prove should be present by referring the tournament that took place in the stadium waymarked.

I think this would be very limiting. Most major professional sports stadiums in the U.S. would not qualify. Most have never had an international competition in them.

I like this idea. But it makes me wonder -- in a drop down variable menu, is it possible to choose more than one variable? Like if a stadium was used for both Football and Baseball, could you select both from the drop down? Just curious.

Nope! At least not now. This had been a frequently requested feature, so it may be coming in the immenent release. Having a multiple-choice drop-down option for the variables would be useful in many categories and help reduce the clutter, because the only option currently is to have a long list of check boxes.

This is the persistent debate of broad categories with variables vs many small, restrictive individual categories. In some cases we seem to have both!

Here I tend to favor the original proposal since it focuses on a particular sport. I'm not sure if I'd make it that restrictive though, thinking that including all futbol, soccer stadiums would be a better way to go, using variables to highlight world-class ones.

As to the nomenclature, I agree that football, or futbol, or other spellings is the most universal term, but for clarity it should bare both an international and the U.S. term, something like, Football/Soccer Stadiums.

Another possible issue, for the U.S. at least, is that most soccer, even at the professional level, is played in multi-use stadiums, and there are very few dedicated soccer stadiums.

silverquill Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM

JimmyEv @ Oct 4 2006, 05:07 PM) *

Nope! At least not now. This had been a frequently requested feature, so it may be coming in the immenent release. Having a multiple-choice drop-down option for the variables would be useful in many categories and help reduce the clutter, because the only option currently is to have a long list of check boxes.

This is the persistent debate of broad categories with variables vs many small, restrictive individual categories. In some cases we seem to have both!

You could allow two separate listings, one for the Football and one for the Baseball portion. I would think this same issue will come up in the Radio Stations category. Often there is an AM station and FM station in the same building.

:o The Blue Quasar

Football (Soccer)

Football (American)

Hockey

Baseball

Basketball

...etc...

Tossing in my two pense.

<_< The Blue Quasar

as BQ posted, this might be a dropdown option in the future, but, in the meantime, you can do this with checkboxes. more than one option is selectable, only the selections appear in the description (see National Parks of the World)

I agree with the suggestion of "Professional Sports Venues". Having multiple choice for defining which professional sports are played there would be great. If not, it would be preferable to have a question like "which is the most played pro sport in this venue?".

I'd like to stick with Football and not soccer, altough the term could be explained with the long description of the waymark. Only in the US football is known as soccer. :D

Any more comments?

I'd like to stick with Football and not soccer, altough the term could be explained with the long description of the waymark. Only in the US football is known as soccer. :unsure:

Any more comments?

What if we called it "fooccer" instead. Do you think that would go over well? :laughing:

I third (fourth, fifth?) the recommendation to go with "Professional Sports Venues" and include checkbox variables for each potential sport played in the stadiums.

I'd like to stick with Football and not soccer, altough the term could be explained with the long description of the waymark. Only in the US football is known as soccer. :)

Any more comments?

What if we called it "fooccer" instead. Do you think that would go over well? :P

I third (fourth, fifth?) the recommendation to go with "Professional Sports Venues" and include checkbox variables for each potential sport played in the stadiums.

fooccer? That's a new one :P:P:):)

"Professional Sports Venues" is fine by me, too. The checkboxes would help, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for all the support.

I agree with the suggestion of "Professional Sports Venues". Having multiple choice for defining which professional sports are played there would be great. If not, it would be preferable to have a question like "which is the most played pro sport in this venue?".

I'd like to stick with Football and not soccer, altough the term could be explained with the long description of the waymark. Only in the US football is known as soccer. :P

Any more comments?

I also agree with "Professional Sports Venues" and I think that is an interesting Waymark.

It have all my approval.

It should be approved and be in the air ASAP.

I think we are waiting for you to form a group to run it, and then many of us will join the group.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Oh... My bad, then. :wub:

Well, the initial lineup (since we're talking about sports) is probaly:

- Us

- NFreitas

- manchanegra (probably, but he's not a PM)

Anyone willing to give in some free time to help this category?

Thank you

Within a few hours of group creation and it's already possible to create the category! I'm trying to sum all the inputs received here. Let me know if you have something to add. Thank you!

Name: "Professional Sports Venue"

Description: "The goal is to waymark all the venues worldwide (stadiums, arenas, etc) used by professional teams of all sorts of sports (Football - soccer, american and australian, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Rugby, etc). If you're a fan of one of these teams, you'll probably do your best to waymark the venue!

Subcategory: Sports and Recreation

Expanded description: Must of us have a passion for sports, usually professional teams that play football, baseball, ice hockey, etc. As a result, stadiums, arenas and sports halls are a special place for the fans. Let's get them all here!

Requirements:

1) Name of the waymark shoud be: "<Name of the venue>, Home of <name of the team>, city, country/state"

2) Pictures:

> They should be taken by YOU.

> No internet pictures are allowed.

> Upload a couple of photos, at least. One of the venue and one with you on the photo.

> No need of photos with the GPSr.

> Extra credits for photos inside, with the teams playing.

3) Tell us something about the team that plays there and something about the venue

4) Coordinates should be near the main entrance of the venue. (there's always one)

5) If you went to a game, tells us something about it.

Variables:

Which professional sport is most played in this venue?

Capacity: number

Guided Tours? y/n

---

I thinking of this, how's that?

There are some venues that are used by one or more teams in the same or different sports (e.g. the San Siro and Guiseppe Meazza stadiums are the same. San Siro is the home of the Internazionale Milan and Guiseppe Meazza for AC Milan). In this case, it would be allowed to enter two waymarks for the same stadium if the waymarker shows photos of a game of each team. OK?

You're probably right. I just hope people won't submit internet photos...

I'm going to add the category!

EDIT:

Just tried to add the category. I fill everything and click on the "Add New Category" button. Right after that, the homepage of Waymarking shows up and that's it. Bug? :unsure:

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella

I don't think you should list the same venue as seperate waymarks if multiple teams play there.

You should only list it once, and then allow it to be listed in a field at the bottom what team(s) play there with optional web links to the team(s) official website.

I suggest you list examples of acceptable titles. Outlaw all caps (just tacky in my opinion).

valid title examples:

Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX, USA

Santa Ana Star Center, Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Wedemark Icehouse, Hannover, Germany

You might also want to include an optional field to list the street address as well as list an optional link to the official website.

The part about there being a main entrance is not needed. Most venues that I know of do not have a main entrance. It would be an arbitrary choice which entrance is the main one.

I do like the requirement about a photo being required with either the person themselves or even of their GPSr if they were alone. It should never be the default photo unless there isn't a better one.