Resetting GPSr to look at new WAAS birds

I fired my Legend Cx up in my computer room this morning (window faces West) and was receiving #48 and #51, but not at the same time. i did get them both on my screen for about 5 seconds together, but I think it was losing #48 as it picked up #51. I didn't have to reset anything for them to show up though.

#48 couldn't produce a solid bar on my GPSr today.

2lmberp.jpg

4dxnjg7.jpg

Also, I live in North Eastern MD.

I know this is off topic but, how'd you get those screen shots?

This is to itchytweed

I tried again following ALL of your instructions and I'm still not sure if I did anything but erase all my previous settings. I don't mean to be a pest but you seem so knowledgeable and I was hoping you’d take pity on me because I know I’m in way over my head. Here are my results.

When I have the satellite acquisition page up, I have two lines of numbers, top line is 3,7,8,13,16,19 and bottom line is 20,23,25,35,36. QUESTION ONE: Are these the satellites I’m supposed to see from my location? After following your instructions, I get 3 strength lines on 3, 1 line on 7, 4 lines on 13, 1.5 lines on 16, 4 lines on 19, and 4 lines on 23 and all of them are solid black. Nothing for 35 registered like you told me to prevent. QUESTION TWO: If I had acquired either 48 or 51 would they show up on this screen? QUESTION THREE: While I don’t see any, what do the D’s mean? QUESTION FOUR/FIVE: Did this process work or did I do something wrong?

This is to itchytweed

I tried again following ALL of your instructions and I'm still not sure if I did anything but erase all my previous settings. I don't mean to be a pest but you seem so knowledgeable and I was hoping you’d take pity on me because I know I’m in way over my head. Here are my results.

When I have the satellite acquisition page up, I have two lines of numbers, top line is 3,7,8,13,16,19 and bottom line is 20,23,25,35,36. QUESTION ONE: Are these the satellites I’m supposed to see from my location? After following your instructions, I get 3 strength lines on 3, 1 line on 7, 4 lines on 13, 1.5 lines on 16, 4 lines on 19, and 4 lines on 23 and all of them are solid black. Nothing for 35 registered like you told me to prevent. QUESTION TWO: If I had acquired either 48 or 51 would they show up on this screen? QUESTION THREE: While I don’t see any, what do the D’s mean? QUESTION FOUR/FIVE: Did this process work or did I do something wrong?

You should be able to see three birds from your location, 35, 48. and 51. After resetting the GPSr, you have to leave it still for about 45 minutes to an hour to let it crunch. AFAIK, 36 is not an assigned satellite. This may be showing up because the software is doing an ID scan checking for new satellites broadcasting the correct code. It may be possible that you did not leave it long enough on to cycle through all the WAAS numbers. IIRC, 35 is not broadcasting an almanac for 48 and 51 until they get commissioned. 51 is sending data but 48 isn't - that was this morning into work.

If acquired, 48 and 51 would show up. On my GPS V, I get a strong gray bar on 48 (no usable data but signal) and a black bar on 51 (usable data).

The D's mean that the GPSr has received valid compensation data from the WAAS birds for that particular satellite in your constellation and is applying the corrections to the received data. The D will disappear when the data gets too old and no new correction data has been received and applied.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I would think that you just did not give the unit enough time to cycle through all the numbers to find out what it can hear. That number 36 should scroll upwards every few minutes and the unit should record what it hears.

Good Luck!

Howdy All,

Well, just through "fiddling" with the buttons I was able to come up with the keystroke sequence for the Foretrex 101 (102 should be the same). Depress and hold in the GoTo button while turning the unit on.

Now, if anyone can help out with the RINO sequence...I'd really appreciate it :)

Regards,

Bill

This is to itchytweed

You should be able to see three birds from your location, 35, 48. and 51. After resetting the GPSr, you have to leave it still for about 45 minutes to an hour to let it crunch. AFAIK, 36 is not an assigned satellite. This may be showing up because the software is doing an ID scan checking for new satellites broadcasting the correct code. It may be possible that you did not leave it long enough on to cycle through all the WAAS numbers. IIRC, 35 is not broadcasting an almanac for 48 and 51 until they get commissioned. 51 is sending data but 48 isn't - that was this morning into work.

If acquired, 48 and 51 would show up. On my GPS V, I get a strong gray bar on 48 (no usable data but signal) and a black bar on 51 (usable data).

The D's mean that the GPSr has received valid compensation data from the WAAS birds for that particular satellite in your constellation and is applying the corrections to the received data. The D will disappear when the data gets too old and no new correction data has been received and applied.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I would think that you just did not give the unit enough time to cycle through all the numbers to find out what it can hear. That number 36 should scroll upwards every few minutes and the unit should record what it hears.

Good Luck!

Thanks. Just went out and started the process again. Will let it work until bedtime or until the battery goes away. About 4 hours.

r

Howdy Again,

Sitting here grinning and smiling, and I promise this will be my last post on the subject.

I "outfoxed" my RINO 120s and 130, didn't need to do a "Hard Reset". Here's the procedure:

1. Turn on the unit

2. Turn radio off (just saving battery power)

3. Go to SetUp and make sure WAAS is enabled

4. Go to Satellite

5. Click stick over & open page Menu

6. Select "New Location"

7. Select "Automatic"

Set the unit down with a clear view of the sky and let it acquire...it went through all the satellites and finally picked up 51 (took about 35 minutes)...with the outstanding subsequent drop in EPE

Regards,

Bill

Procedure for Garmin GPS V (v. 2.5 software):

Backup your routes/waypoints/tracks before doing this - they will be wiped out.

1) Cover or disconnect antenna

2) Hold MENU button down during power up

3) Answer "yes" to user reset

4) Go to Setup and turn back on WAAS Processing

5) Uncover or plug in antenna and let it locate satellites. Make sure that satellite #35 is blocked from reception..

6) Leave on for at least 1/2 hour to get new almanac and adjust itself

If all is fine, satellites #48 & 51 should show up in the WAAS section and be used. My testing was displaying 9 ft accuracy readings on the display moving today and on a waypoint averaging session of 45 minutes, accuracy was displayed as 3 ft.

I was getting 48 & 51 at full scale today here in So. Wisconsin.

This is a good thing....enjoy

73 from 807,

Itchytweed

I have a CS with firmware version 4.1. When I hold down the enter at start I get the test page. How do I reset the unit?

Thanks

This is to itchytweed

Good Luck!

Thanks. Just went out and started the process again. Will let it work until bedtime or until the battery goes away. About 4 hours.

r

Things still not good. I let the process run for 3.5 hours and things did change but I'm not sure why. But, still don't see 48 or 51 on my acquisition screen. However, when I powered up the unit this morning , the two rows of numbers had changed. On the top row, I had 1,11,14,16,20,22 all with nice tall black bars and all with D's. On the botton row, I had 23,25,30,35,36,blank(23 had nothing, 25, 30 had black bars with D's, 36 was a grayish bar, 36 had nothing and then the blank). Since many of the bars had D's, can I assume I got updated info from a WAAS bird? Before I turned off the unit last night, I watched the screen and observed that there was no activity on 35. But, after I picked it up off the dash and just before hitting the off button, I think I saw something flash above 35 then the unit was off. Since I didn't have either 48 or 51 on the screen this morning, I've started the process again from another location. Could I be blocking 48 and 51 when I'm blocking 35? I think this is becoming a quest.

Things still not good. I let the process run for 3.5 hours and things did change but I'm not sure why. But, still don't see 48 or 51 on my acquisition screen. However, when I powered up the unit this morning , the two rows of numbers had changed. On the top row, I had 1,11,14,16,20,22 all with nice tall black bars and all with D's. On the botton row, I had 23,25,30,35,36,blank(23 had nothing, 25, 30 had black bars with D's, 36 was a grayish bar, 36 had nothing and then the blank). Since many of the bars had D's, can I assume I got updated info from a WAAS bird? Before I turned off the unit last night, I watched the screen and observed that there was no activity on 35. But, after I picked it up off the dash and just before hitting the off button, I think I saw something flash above 35 then the unit was off. Since I didn't have either 48 or 51 on the screen this morning, I've started the process again from another location. Could I be blocking 48 and 51 when I'm blocking 35? I think this is becoming a quest.

You are getting WAAS from 35. The problem is that you let it find 35 after the reset. If it finds 35 FIRST, it will never look for 48 and 51 as the almanac from 35 does not contain 48 and 51.

As explained above. After the reset, you MUST block the antenna when it is trying to find 35 and expose it when it is trying to find 48 or 51.

You are getting WAAS from 35. The problem is that you let it find 35 after the reset. If it finds 35 FIRST, it will never look for 48 and 51 as the almanac from 35 does not contain 48 and 51.

As explained above. After the reset, you MUST block the antenna when it is trying to find 35 and expose it when it is trying to find 48 or 51.

Ok, ok. UNCLE I give up! Just let this process run for the 5th time for over 2 hours. No 35 showing and also no 48 or 51. Something not working like it's supposed to and it's probably me. Anyway, I think there is a term for someone doing the same thing the same way and getting the same results. That's me.

Success on the GPS 60 in Lexington, MA!

Here's what I did:

1. First I reset the unit, then I hit the menu button on the satellite screen and hit New Location.

2. I made sure WAAS was turned on.

3. I stood in the parking lot facing to the S.E. and used my body to shield reception from 35.

4. It took about 5 - 10 minutes for the GPSr to cycle through all the WAAS birds. It started on 35 and it would hop up two satellites trying to find the WAAS birds, eventually it incremented its way up to 50 and 51 and finally it locked onto 51

UPDATE: I was able to get 51 lound and clear on the GPSr tonight. I had 7' of accuracy. 48 had good strength but it was blinking in and out and wouldn't lock on. I assume by the end of the month we'll be able to get 51 and 48 lound and clear on the East Coast.

OK.

1) What is the model of the GPSr?

2) Type out exactly, step by step what you are doing.

3) Are you have a fully open view to the south west?

I hope this is for me. I sure don't like to fail and thank you for having faith in me and attempting to assist me. Here are the answers to your questions.

#1. Garmin GPS V, software 2.5 v as required

#2. Before answering this one, I need to ask you another question attached to answer 3 below.

#3. Nope, the south west is blocked. In my feeble attempts at doing this process, it seemed that that was the only way I could get 35 blocked. Where is 35 coming from? With so many birds displayed, I can't distinguish 35. Suggestions?

r

After a hard reset, the GPS will cycle through the channels in acsending order. The WAAS channels are the ones higher than 31??? and take up the highest (farthest ot the right) two channels. Block the antenna until the sequence gets past 35. Then you MUST let the antenna have a full view to the south and south west until it finds and holds 48 or 51 for a good 15 minutes.

After a hard reset, the GPS will cycle through the channels in acsending order. The WAAS channels are the ones higher than 31??? and take up the highest (farthest ot the right) two channels. Block the antenna until the sequence gets past 35. Then you MUST let the antenna have a full view to the south and south west until it finds and holds 48 or 51 for a good 15 minutes.

Interesting. How do I determine when it's past 35 so I can unblock the south and SW? It doesn't appear that the sats are being found in any order. Some on the top row show up, then some on the bottom and then another on top until things become static. The rightmost place holders on the bottom are 35 and 36 and 36 never lights up and the one immediately to the left of 35 shows up almost immediately when I turn on the machine. So, I don't know how to determine then the sequence is past 35 since nothing higher than that lights up. Am I correct in assuming that if I find 48 and 51 then those two numbers will appear in the rightmost positions? Won't this thing find any and all sats it can? So, if I get it past 35, when I uncover the S and SW areas to get 48 and 51, won't the machine again find 35 and begin taking info from it?

A note about accuracy:

I did the math and found that, at the equator, the resolution of 1/1000th of a minute that you can enter for longitude and latitude results in a truncation error of almost exactly 6 feet. That's the best you can do with the DD MM.MMM format. You only have so many decimals. So your minimum error to start with is 6 feet East/West and 6 feet North/South.

Here's the calculation:

25,000 mi x 5280 ft/mi / (360 deg) / (60 min/deg) / (1000 parts/min) = 6.111 feet

Now, the farther north or south you are from the equator the smaller the truncation error is for longitude. For example at 45 degrees north the truncation error is:

cos(45 deg) x (equator value from above: 6.111)= 4.321 feet

At the poles it's zero.

Note: the latitude error is always about 6 feet - it does not dimish as either latitude or longitude change.

The lower rightmost two channels are the WAAS channels. the other channel are GPS satellites. It will slowly progress through all of the numbers if it does not receive a signal after a period of time. If at any time, while 35 is displayed, it receives a signal from 35, it will not progress.

Cover the antenna and patiently wait until the numbers progress to 48, then uncover it.

edit: You MUST hard reset it before doing all of this.

Edited by Red90

A note about accuracy:

I did the math and found that, at the equator, the resolution of 1/1000th of a minute that you can enter for longitude and latitude results in a truncation error of almost exactly 6 feet. That's the best you can do with the DD MM.MMM format. You only have so many decimals. So your minimum error to start with is 6 feet East/West and 6 feet North/South.

Here's the calculation:

25,000 mi x 5280 ft/mi / (360 deg) / (60 min/deg) / (1000 parts/min) = 6.111 feet

Now, the farther north or south you are from the equator the smaller the truncation error is for longitude. For example at 45 degrees north the truncation error is:

At the poles it's zero.

Note: the latitude error is always about 6 feet - it does not dimish as either latitude or longitude change.

Yes, of course, but it is only 3 feet radial error. i.e. you can only be a maximum of 3 feet from the actual position as they are 6 feet apart.

The GPS does, however, record waypoints using a higher accuracy method. I beleiev the Garmin units record in DD.DDDDD format which gets you to around 3.6' between points or 1.8' worst case error.

A note about accuracy:

Here's the calculation:

At the poles it's zero.

Yes, of course, but it is only 3 feet radial error. i.e. you can only be a maximum of 3 feet from the actual position as they are 6 feet apart.

The GPS does, however, record waypoints using a higher accuracy method. I beleiev the Garmin units record in DD.DDDDD format which gets you to around 3.6' between points or 1.8' worst case error.

Not "to put too fine a point on it" <_< this is truncation error not rounding error. Truncation error results in a loss of the entire digit (6 feet) rounding error results in the loss of 1/2 a digit (3 feet). I guess this means that your are at most 6 feet away in longitude and 6 feet in latitude.

I don't think it's possible to get any more digits from Geocaching.com for waypoints, right?

Edited by WyattEarp

This is a really interesting thread. Frustration with trying to get my Legend to find 48 or 51 drew me out of lurking mode. I have a Legend that has the latest version of software on it - 3.7. I am also in TX and can't make the thing to find anything higher than 35. I have done the hard reset and covered the antenna waiting on the gpsr to locate a number higher than 31 and it won't do it. It shuffles through numbers very slowly but never does the 12th number on the satellite screen exceed 31 UNTIL I take it outside and uncover the antenna. Then it starts locating satellites, still never showing above 31 until it grabs hold of 35. By then it's too late and it has the data from 35, gets a fix and I perform a hard reset and start the process all over again. I am sitting in a metal office building right now which has the same effect as covering the antenna. The Legend has been searching for satellites for almost an hour with the right hand number on the satellite screen never climbing above 31. Each time I do a hard reset I immediately go to setup and enable WAAS. Any clues as to what I am doing wrong?

Sorry, OK, it is a bit unclear.

You need to ONLY block it to the south east. It will not start to look for WAAS satellites until it has a position fix from the regular satellites.

So..... It needs to see enough sky to hold a position lock but not see WAAS 35.

I guess I got lucky in the sequence. A couple of days ago I flashed the Vista Cx with OS 2.60 and it corrected not only the accuracy flaw in the GPS but catches all of the WAAS. Satellites 48 and 51 boom in and stays off scale most of the time.

Accuracy is hanging in at +-7 feet too.

We are located in Texas right between Houston and Galveston. If all is well, we are going to like this receiver a lot more this weekend.

Thanks for the tips and verifications.

This was asked before, but I need to know too. It seems like everyone forgot to answer. One of my units is an explorist 600. How do I reset the unit to look for new birds? I don't want to hard reset, I have had bad expiriences with that. ;)

I believe that the way that you do a "soft" reset, for lack of a better term, is to tell the unit via the menus that you are in a new location. Others with Explorist's have done that and reported some success in other message threads here. Just tell it that you are in a new location and hopefully this will do it.

This does not preclude the possibility that your software may not be programmed to allow for reception of the new birds.

Anyone want to explain this for a Garmin 60CX?

I'm at 39' 58 82' 00 (Ohio) and should see #35.

I've enabled WAAS, disabled WAAS, set for new location - at times I see 1 or 2 blank number slots just above 31, but I never lock on anything higher than 31.

I have an old Magellan 330 that shows 1 or 2 W's on it's screen.

Any other suggestions ?

Interesting. How do I determine when it's past 35 so I can unblock the south and SW? It doesn't appear that the sats are being found in any order. Some on the top row show up, then some on the bottom and then another on top until things become static. The rightmost place holders on the bottom are 35 and 36 and 36 never lights up and the one immediately to the left of 35 shows up almost immediately when I turn on the machine. So, I don't know how to determine then the sequence is past 35 since nothing higher than that lights up. Am I correct in assuming that if I find 48 and 51 then those two numbers will appear in the rightmost positions? Won't this thing find any and all sats it can? So, if I get it past 35, when I uncover the S and SW areas to get 48 and 51, won't the machine again find 35 and begin taking info from it?

After reading this thread, I tried it with my GPS V. What I did was the reset(power and menu buttons together) then menued in to enable WAAS. I then put my hand over the antenna and watched all the satellites come on. When 35 showed an indication of being picked up I moved my hand til it went bank. Then in 1 minute increments, the receiver starting picking up the satellites one by one. each one showing in the space immediately right of 35. Eventually I got to 48, ( 12 minutes) and after 1 minute it jumped to 51 and locked on. It now indicates both 35 and 51 but only is getting data from 51..

Takes a lot of patience and I'm not a patient person.. Actually took me 3 tries to make it work.

October 14, 2006 - Using a Glisson External antenna, picking up WAAS 51 indoors (solarium) on a foggy morning (Seattle WA.) This is the first WAAS I've locked onto, and the highest accuracy.

Also, this is an oddity of a 60CS receiver, the faceplate has 60C on it, however it's actually a 60CS model.

http://webpages.charter.net/markh12001/MyPhotos/WAAS.jpg

Edited by markhp

We have an iFinder H20. I checked which WAAS satellite we were using and found it was 122 (35) [satellite status page, down 3 times]. I don’t know if we had to go though this, but here’s how we got 138 (51). I turned the unit off then restarted it covering the antenna so it couldn’t see any satellite and waited until it said it couldn’t get a lock and asked if I wanted to continue searching. I said “yes” and watched the WASS satellite until it moved off of 122, then I uncovered it. It started cycling through a number of different sats – 134, 124, 129, etc. so I just left it outside. When I came back it had locked on 138 (51). We’ve had pretty good luck with 122 out here, but 138 is higher in the sky.

OK, on an Explorist, I don't see a satellite number for WAAS. It just has a 'W'. How do you know which bird it is seeing.

I don't think it really matters which WAAS satellite you are seeing or if you are even receiving WAAS corrections. WAAS on my eXplorist 400 doesn't seem to improve my accuracy at all, just stability. I have no trouble finding caches without WAAS. I don't care either way. If my GPSr is getting corrections, all the better. If not, no biggie. If you are seeing plenty of regular GPS satellites you will be just fine.

Check out this reply from Peter in another topic about Garmin's satellite numbers versus Magellan's Ws.

Got to agree with you. I have the 76csx and always have at least 5 birds showing Ds. Don't see the reason of obsessing over connecting to 51. Sometimes mine does sometimes it doesn't. I don't need pinpoint accurcy. 15ft of accuracy seems good enough for me. I'm not knocking anyone here btw, just trying to understand it.

Edited by flfirefighter

OK, on an Explorist, I don't see a satellite number for WAAS. It just has a 'W'. How do you know which bird it is seeing.

I don't think it really matters which WAAS satellite you are seeing or if you are even receiving WAAS corrections. WAAS on my eXplorist 400 doesn't seem to improve my accuracy at all, just stability. I have no trouble finding caches without WAAS. I don't care either way. If my GPSr is getting corrections, all the better. If not, no biggie. If you are seeing plenty of regular GPS satellites you will be just fine.

Check out this reply from Peter in another topic about Garmin's satellite numbers versus Magellan's Ws.

Got to agree with you. I have the 76csx and always have at least 5 birds showing Ds. Don't see the reason of obsessing over connecting to 51. Sometimes mine does sometimes it doesn't. I don't need pinpoint accurcy. 15ft of accuracy seems good enough for me. I'm not knocking anyone here btw, just trying to understand it.

I don't think that you are knocking accuracy. On some systems, they will not scan for the new WAAS birds unless the almanac is wiped and reloaded. Of course, on the east coast and midwest, getting the new birds that are higher up than 35 is a benefit (easier and more reliable reception) for people to use WAAS. The more birds you can use, the better the reliability, especially under the defoliating trees.

Now to clean up the remains of dinner. For all of us who are in the south, midwest and east, stay dry and warm.

I have a 76CSx and live on the west coast. There was no need for me to reset in order to get 48 or 51.

Go to Nasa!

As stated earlier in this post, the 60/76 "X" series receivers do not need to be reset. They need the latest firmware.

I HAD the latest - had ran webupdater when I got this one (60cx). Tried resetting. Etc. etc.

Saw your post and that - try again.

Webupdater said I needed nothing, but asked if I wanted to update voice - well it doesn't have voice - but I let it re-install.

Bingo - as soon as it reset I got 51 and all d's.

So if your Garmin does not get Waas - try webupdater and re-install the firmware.

Just got my Legend Cx. First thing I did was update it to the new 2.6 Firmware. set it outside for 30 minutes and it found 51 without a problem. My accuracy went from +/- 14 ft to +/- 7 ft. I live in South Central PA. I'm guessing either 48 is down do to updates or not available in my area. But 51 seems to work just fine. Thanks for the info.

UPDATE- I now have the WAAS 48 bird as well. (updated automatically without resetting).

Edited by TheMaxxMann

Its a program offered by Garmin called ximage ( I think) or something likr that. Go to Garmin> support> downloads/ updates> find your unit's model number , click on that, and if your unit supports it there will be an option there for ximage. Save it to your computer. Run it, and you can save screen shots from your unit as jpegs or bitmaps.

:) I did the reset on my Legend Cx running V 2.6, blocked it from getting 33 and 35 and as it scrolls through the sats it hits 46 then jumps to 49, then 50 and right back to 35 without even trying to find 48 or 51. The reset I did is as per Garmins instructions. Hold down page and enter while powering up, answer yes to "are you sure" , enable waas before uncovering antenna, block 35 (which I don't get often anyway) and still nothing. Am I missing something? Anyone else with a Legend Cx having any luck?

:yikes: I did the reset on my Legend Cx running V 2.6, blocked it from getting 33 and 35 and as it scrolls through the sats it hits 46 then jumps to 49, then 50 and right back to 35 without even trying to find 48 or 51. The reset I did is as per Garmins instructions. Hold down page and enter while powering up, answer yes to "are you sure" , enable waas before uncovering antenna, block 35 (which I don't get often anyway) and still nothing. Am I missing something? Anyone else with a Legend Cx having any luck?

48 and 51 have been cycling on and off lately. Cutover to 48 going active is supposed to start 2006-OCT-23. Of course, this is a tentative date and is subject to rearrangement. There still is no word on when 51 will go live at this time either.

Give it a couple of days and try again.

I am in So Cal and seem to be getting a solid lock on 48 and D's on the screen (no 7ft accuracy though, more like 11ft), on my 60CSx (without any hard reset). I am not seeing 51 from my backyard which is facing east/south east.

Should I see 51 from here, if so, is a hard reset the only way? (I have the latest rev software loaded already)

Thanks!

~CMT