Seeking World War 2 Group

I was in the process of creating a Group to manage World War 2 Memorials and did the logical and polite things first - I checked the "Groups listing" on Waymarking to see if there was a WW2 Memorials group with open enrollment: nope.

I next checked the Waymarking forums to see if anyone had posted a thread about it, recruiting anyone.

Nope.

So, I figured, no "open" group, no category, no recruitment threads (or any threads about it!), I'll go ahead and create the "World War 2 Memorial Managers" group. It's already in existence.

How can I find out more about this group? If it's a group that was created a year ago and hasn't done anything and isn't going anywhere, then I'd like to create my own group to actually manage the WW2 Memorials & Monuments category - but if it's just been created and is in the process of "Categorizing", then I certainly don't want to step on anyones toes!

So...can someone...anyone...give me more info about this group? Should I go ahead with "my" management group, or is this an active group?

Thanks!

:anitongue:

So, I figured, no "open" group, no category, no recruitment threads (or any threads about it!), I'll go ahead and create the "World War 2 Memorial Managers" group. It's already in existence.

How can I find out more about this group? If it's a group that was created a year ago and hasn't done anything and isn't going anywhere, then I'd like to create my own group to actually manage the WW2 Memorials & Monuments category - but if it's just been created and is in the process of "Categorizing", then I certainly don't want to step on anyones toes!

So...can someone...anyone...give me more info about this group? Should I go ahead with "my" management group, or is this an active group?

Thanks!

I'm not aware of a category or group specifically for WWII memorial sites. I've browsed throught the groups with open enrollment and don't see one there. True, there are a lot of defunct management groups with no categories being managed, but I don't see it.

How did you determine that there is such a group? If you found a listing for such a group, then you should be able to send and email to the leader and find out directly what is going on.

In general, though, I say that those who are ready to go should go! It is good to be respectful and not move in on something someone is doing, but if there is no action, then I think it should be open to those who are ready to do it!

I'd love to see this category, as well as one for Korean War Memorials. Most major wars are included, but I've seen them for the Spanish American War, War of 1912, Gulf War -- and I'm sure that internationally there are others as well.

Anyway, I hope this goes for you. Send me an invite if you need members.

Thanks!

I'm not aware of a category or group specifically for WWII memorial sites. I've browsed throught the groups with open enrollment and don't see one there. True, there are a lot of defunct management groups with no categories being managed, but I don't see it.

How did you determine that there is such a group? If you found a listing for such a group, then you should be able to send and email to the leader and find out directly what is going on.

In general, though, I say that those who are ready to go should go! It is good to be respectful and not move in on something someone is doing, but if there is no action, then I think it should be open to those who are ready to do it!

I'd love to see this category, as well as one for Korean War Memorials. Most major wars are included, but I've seen them for the Spanish American War, War of 1912, Gulf War -- and I'm sure that internationally there are others as well.

I know - I browsed the groups as well, before I tried to create my group. I found out that it already exists by trying to create a group called "World War 2 Memorials" and it returned an error, saying that group already existed.

Since it already exists, I want to make sure I'm not "poaching" someone else's newly-formed-and-almost-ready-to-make-a-category group. I DON'T want to step on toes.

I'm hoping that either someone at Groundspeak or someone in that group will let me know what's going on with this group. I believe I already have enough people to volunteer as officers for "my" WW2 group, but I want to make sure I'm not shoving another group aside.

Thank you for your offer to help out; if this goes through I'll definitely send you an invite. :laughing:

Edited by PAWSitraction

Would that not create a third 'Category'?

This first -

World War I Memorials and Monuments Managed by World War I Memorials

Detailed Description:

Locate a World War I memorial. Older ones might refer to the war as "The Great War" or "The World War". Monuments covering multiple wars may be submitted (for example combined WWI and WWII monuments), as long as the WWI part is featured in a photo (see below).

...and this second -
Non-Specific Veteran Memorials less detail.

The multi-war monuments must be of a kind that are not separatable into separate categories: a memorial "walk" with bricks for soliders from various wars would be acceptable, snipped

----the "World War 2 Memorial Managers" group. It's already in existence.<--- I scanned the 'Categories' but couldn't find it.

Would that not create a third 'Category'?

This first -

World War I Memorials and Monuments Managed by World War I Memorials

Detailed Description:

Locate a World War I memorial. Older ones might refer to the war as "The Great War" or "The World War". Monuments covering multiple wars may be submitted (for example combined WWI and WWII monuments), as long as the WWI part is featured in a photo (see below).

...and this second -
Non-Specific Veteran Memorials less detail.

The multi-war monuments must be of a kind that are not separatable into separate categories: a memorial "walk" with bricks for soliders from various wars would be acceptable, snipped

----the "World War 2 Memorial Managers" group. It's already in existence.<--- I scanned the 'Categories' but couldn't find it.

????

I'm sorry...I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

I would like to start a group with the aim of creating a Category to manage WW2 Memorials - specifically. Neither of the other two categories you named allow World War 2 Memorials, unless they're part of a larger display that is NOT targeted at WW2 specifically.

I don't really see the conflict here.

The WW2 Category does not exist. The group entitled "World War 2 Memorials" does exist. I know it exists because when I tried to create a group called "World War 2 Memorials" the form told me the group already existed. It is not a public group at all. You won't find it in the directory. You won't find it in the "open groups" listing. You won't find it - anywhere.

I would merely like to know if it is an active group in the process of creating a Category.

That's it. That's all I want to know.

Edited by PAWSitraction

BUMP...

I guess if I don't hear from anyone in the existing WW2 group by next week, I'll go ahead and create "my" group and hope that I'm not stepping on anyone.

A sensible approach.

The othe possibility is that the response you got is some sort of software glitch. Unless you chose a category name that is an exact match, it shouldn't do that, and certainly it should show up somewhere, and no one else seems to have heard of it. . . .

As to the duplicate category issue -- it is inherent ifor this category since so many memorials include many specific wars. The only way this could be avoided would have been to have created a master category for ALL war memorials in the beginning and used variables for the different wars.

There are many memorials that are for WWII only, and have no place to go. I think that in the case where there are multiple markers/memorials at one site, that you require a photo specifically of the WWII monument or portion of the listing so you don't have just shot of the area with a note, "By the way, this also includes WWII." I think a broad shot and a close-up should be required, to make this meaningful. Others may differ.

Hope you get flying with this. Thanks for the initiative.

the war memorial branch could use some trimming.

there are currently 3 live categories:

1)American Civil War Monuments and Memorials - "This category will accept most Civil War Monuments or Memorials as long as it is not a memorial to an individual."

- no mention is made about being part of a larger structure (including other wars)

2)World War I Memorials and Monuments - "This category seeks to waymark all World War I Memorials and Monuments, big and small, located throughout the world. This category applies to general memorials erected by cities, counties, towns, villages and nations to honor native soldiers as a group. (Monuments and memorials to individual soldiers of WWI are not permitted.)" "Monuments covering multiple wars may be submitted (for example combined WWI and WWII monuments), as long as the WWI part is featured in a photo (see below)." "If the monument covers multiple wars, two photos are required. One of the whole monument and another of the World War I section or inscription."

- if part of a larger structure, you must show the entire thing and the WWI section.

3)Non-Specific Veteran Memorials - "We are looking for monuments and memorials commemmorating veterans. These monuments and memorials will have either no specific war listed (such as a monument saying "For Those Who Serve" or "For Our Soldiers") or be multi-war in scope." "The multi-war monuments must be of a kind that are not separatable into separate categories: a memorial "walk" with bricks for soliders from various wars would be acceptable, for example, but a memorial park with a separate monument or engraving for each war would not."

- includes those marks not included in the above categories, but also excludes all those that do mention other wars (korea, vietnam, iraq, WW2, etc....)

it would be nice of it were like the historic marker branch of the tree, with an extensive listing of categories. these groups have not completed the process. it is good that you desire to fill one of these 'holes'. might the others follow soon....

the group situation does seem to be a setback.....you know there is one, you chose the same name. but cant find it in the groups--set to 'closed' membership. could the groups section not be set to display all groups in the database, allowing you to join if possible, or send them a message--'about an issue with the category' or 'i see you have this group to manage a category, i wanted to see what your progress is because i wanted to create this group/category myself'.......

the war memorial branch could use some trimming.

there are currently 3 live categories:

1)American Civil War Monuments and Memorials - "This category will accept most Civil War Monuments or Memorials as long as it is not a memorial to an individual."

- no mention is made about being part of a larger structure (including other wars)

2)World War I Memorials and Monuments - "This category seeks to waymark all World War I Memorials and Monuments, big and small, located throughout the world. This category applies to general memorials erected by cities, counties, towns, villages and nations to honor native soldiers as a group. (Monuments and memorials to individual soldiers of WWI are not permitted.)" "Monuments covering multiple wars may be submitted (for example combined WWI and WWII monuments), as long as the WWI part is featured in a photo (see below)." "If the monument covers multiple wars, two photos are required. One of the whole monument and another of the World War I section or inscription."

- if part of a larger structure, you must show the entire thing and the WWI section.

3)Non-Specific Veteran Memorials - "We are looking for monuments and memorials commemmorating veterans. These monuments and memorials will have either no specific war listed (such as a monument saying "For Those Who Serve" or "For Our Soldiers") or be multi-war in scope." "The multi-war monuments must be of a kind that are not separatable into separate categories: a memorial "walk" with bricks for soliders from various wars would be acceptable, for example, but a memorial park with a separate monument or engraving for each war would not."

- includes those marks not included in the above categories, but also excludes all those that do mention other wars (korea, vietnam, iraq, WW2, etc....)

I believe the [/url]Vietnam POW/MIA Monumentscategory is active.

It's title is misleading as the description says:

Detailed Description:

This is to honor and remember those listed as Prisoners of War or Missing in Action. The focus is on POW/MIA from the Vietnam War but any POW/MIA monument may be listed. I have had an avid interest in this period in our history for many years and continue to support the recovery efforts for those listed as POW/MIA from the Vietnam War. I thought this cache would be a good way to emphasize the motto "You are not forgotten."

In looking at the category, however, there are many waymarks that are for Viet Nam casualties or general in nature, NOT specifically for POW/MIA.

I thought there was one for the U.S. Revolutionary War, but it seems it is for grave markers of indiduals, not for monuments/memorials -- of which there are many here in New England. Now what do I do with all those waymarks in my Rev War folder? Hope someone starts a category for these; I'm maxed out.

I do agree that it would be nice if this were more logically organized, but I don't see a way to do it under the current philosophy of waymark creation.

Thanks!

<_<

Silverquill I am working on Korean war one now will need officers.

Paws count me in on your WW2 one