Did I miss something?

fox-and-the-hound

Just looking around for a moment and noticed two new coins with altered Groundspeak logos that were approved. I'm curious because we wanted to do a single color image using the logo and were told it was a no-no. Now I see the new United We Cache with altered colors and the Gas Can coin (very cool btw) with the cross over the logo. I have no problem at all with either coin, just wondered if something has changed in what allowed. :anitongue:

I have never seen the "Gas Can coin" but the "United We Cache" coin I have seen has the correct colors of green, orange, yellow & blue.

Do you have a link or photos to show the issue?

GasCans Geocoin

Thanks for the link...

Again, the colors are correct & the logo isn't structurally altered... an X is placed on the cleavage lines which does not alter the logo....

EDIT: The above posting had me research this coin "US & Canada United We Stand" coin...

I do not know if it is/was in production since this thread is/was still investigating the coin itself.

I called Brian & he was not available to speak with... Maybe he is talking to the creator...???

Edited by Mandollyn

In general I've found Bryan to be very cool about approving the use of the square logo as long as you stick to the design colors and include the registration mark. On 12 days the logo is actually split across 4 coins and he allowed that use.

However I've also heard of people who went with preproduction without Groundspeak approval. This is risky as you may have to eat the cost of a die if you don't get approval. You should always send the artwork to Bryan to get approval before ordering dies.

I can't see how a single colour logo would not be allowed. It already appears on lots of coins were the logo is the colour of the metal only.

That's what we thought, but when we approached it back when we were having our personal made, we ended up doing the four color to make approval. Our original intent was to have the logo as the base metal color on a field of black or a single enamel color, but was told that would not be approved. The base metal probably would have scraped by, but the single color was denied right away. Have to say they were very, very fast to respond and really cool about explaining all the whys of it though.

I have never seen the "Gas Can coin" but the "United We Cache" coin I have seen has the correct colors of green, orange, yellow & blue.

Do you have a link or photos to show the issue?

GasCans Geocoin

Thanks for the link...

Again, the colors are correct & the logo isn't structurally altered... an X is placed on the cleavage lines which does not alter the logo....

EDIT: The above posting had me research this coin "US & Canada United We Stand" coin...

I do not know if it is/was in production since this thread is/was still investigating the coin itself.

I called Brian & he was not available to speak with... Maybe he is talking to the creator...???

Putting an X though a logo is definitely "structurally altering" the logo. It may not be physically covering any part of the logo, but you couldn't get away with that on any commercially produced item carrying a registed trademark logo without express permission. Let me say again though that I like the coin and the way the x goes through the logo, but as a designer I'd love to have a little of this flexibility that seems to be going through now. ;)

I was informed that I left a question unanswered before closing this thread.

The Gascan geocoin IS approved as it does conform to the guidelines as specified:

1) The logo is not altered - it is overlaid on a gascan that has ridges on it

2) It has the ® mark

3) It has the URL for tracking (geocaching.com)

I'll leave the thread open for discussion, although I'm not sure what's left to say.

Note that I am not the person approving things - just a messenger to the Frog.

Thie thread should NOT be a Q&A for what is and isn't acceptable - nothing has changed.

For questions about logo usage, I refer you to either the contact info in the pinned threads up top here, or the logo usage guidelines at the bottom of the pages on gc.com.

- FSM

Bryan has made a clarification on the guidlelines posted here.

The clarification:

A new notable change (as of 10/3).

1. If the geocaching.com logo is used, it must contain the circle r trademark symbol but does not need to include the geocaching.com url beneath the logo.

The coins must still say "Trackable at Geocaching.com".

Again, not really a change, just a clarification since it would be duplication to have the URL on there as well.

Good for you wsgaskins! Thanks Noodly one for answering my question. It might not seem like much of a change to some, but it is significant to coin designers because without the text at the bottom it changes the format of the logo to a perfect symetric which is huge. I hope I didn't cause too much undo stress for anyone. I just needed clarification for the sake of some current design ideas. :laughing:

I withdraw my previous statement about the structurally altering the logo. The logo being placed over the gas can that happens to have an x shape is completely different from adding the x over the logo. Just went through a big headache last year working for the Make-A-Wish foundation over similar logo issues and wanted to make sure we're all together on the same page with this.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound