Garmin navigation: Venture Cx - Legend Cx

ArtMan

I thought the only difference between the Venture and Legend Cx etrex models was that latter came with a 64 MB microSD card, and the former had just an empty slot.

The two units share the same owner manual.

But I notice the description on Garmin's website for the Venture CX says

"Provides automatic, turn-by-turn directions with optional preprogrammed City Navigator™ cards to navigate you safely to your destination"

To me, this implies that the turn-by-turn navigation is only available with City Navigator cards.

In contract, the page for the Legend Cx, says

"Automatic route generation, off-route recalculation, turn-by-turn directions with alert tones, and icon-driven menus for finding points of interest (when combined with Garmin’s optional MapSource® CDs) navigate you safely to your destination"

To me, this says that turn-by-turn navigation is available for CD-based maps.

Do I have this distinction correct? And is any turn-by-turn navigation available for the basemap?

TIA,

-ArtMan-

But I notice the description on Garmin's website for the Venture CX says

"Provides automatic, turn-by-turn directions with optional preprogrammed City Navigator™ cards to navigate you safely to your destination"

To me, this implies that the turn-by-turn navigation is only available with City Navigator cards.

In contract, the page for the Legend Cx, says

"Automatic route generation, off-route recalculation, turn-by-turn directions with alert tones, and icon-driven menus for finding points of interest (when combined with Garmin’s optional MapSource® CDs) navigate you safely to your destination"

Do I have this distinction correct? And is any turn-by-turn navigation available for the basemap?

TIA,

-ArtMan-

I don't know about the base maps turn by turn navigation, but the Venture Cx does have turn by turn if you get a memory card and upload maps to it that support turn by turn. I have use the Metro Guide v4 (I think that is it) and it works just fine. You tune a couple of things on Mapsource, but other than that, it works how you think it would work.

Also, my Venture Cx does all that stuff that it says it does for Legend Cx. All I did was buy a memory card and a USB cable, which was a whole lot less thant he price difference between the Legend and the Venture.

TIA,

-ArtMan-

I believe Garmin is just pushing their preloaded memory cards in the advertising copy for the Venture cx. If memory serves, (my memory, that is) these preloaded cards weren't available when the Legend and Vista cx's came to market so their advertising copy didn't mention them. I bought my Legend cx when it first came out and the cards were promised but not available for a few months.

If you load maps with autorouting features (such as City Navigator 8) on a memory card, the Venture cx should autoroute. It doesn't who loads it on the card (you or Garmin) – it should work.

If the Venture cx ships with the same base map as the Legend cx (I believe it does) it will autoroute from the base map. The only problem is the base map only has major hiways and the interstate system. I was surprised by how many important roads in my area were not on the base map. However, it was good enough to autoroute me from Central Florida, to Bryson City, NC via Dublin, GA. I've since loaded City Nav 8 and love it. There's way more useful POI info and street detail is exceptional.

Hope that helps some,

Scott