How to create usb virtual com port

I am using a Garmin eTrex Legend and want to be able to transfer way point files from EasyGPS to this handheld GPS unit.

I am using EasyGPS software and need to create a "virtual com port" on my computer using a USB port (my computer does not have serial ports).

Quote from EasyGPS sotware:

"If you use a USB to Serial Port adapter to connect your GPS, the adapter will include software which creates a virtual COM port on your computer. Select this COM port in EasyGPS."

Does anyone know of such an adapter which includes this type of software? I have only been able to locate a USB to Serial port adapter cable (used for PDA's), but it does not come with any software to create the 'virtual com port'.

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

Davida

ANY Serial/USB adapter SHOULD come with support disk that loads drives and what nots for USB/serial port operation... Always loads drivers first from disk before plugging in adapter.

IF you need to know specific com port number (virtual port) to "plug into" your software you need to work down through the SYSTEM tab in Control Panel till you get to "ports" When you plug in USB/SERIAL adapter a new port should appear and by looking at that data it should give you the number of the com port it created.

Dale

Does anyone know of such an adapter which includes this type of software? I have only been able to locate a USB to Serial port adapter cable (used for PDA's), but it does not come with any software to create the 'virtual com port'.

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

Davida

You just need to find the right "drivers" for your adapter. I got a serial -> USB cable from my dad. he didn't have any of the drivers, a CD or anything with it. I took it home and looked on the back of the serial part of it. It had the manufactures info on there, so I went to their site and looked it up. Sure enough they had the drivers there for DL. As soon as I DLed and installed the drivers it worked a lot better (I tried to transfer w/o the drivers with no luck for ~30 minutes...) As mentioned any cable should work provided you have the driver FOR THE CABLE... w/o that the CPU won't "see" the port.