Confessions of an FTF Hound

I kinda like the race for FTF, and get quite a kick outta the clowns that get on the forums trying to "make things more fair" for all, and that kind of crap.

Anyhow, I don't have a whole lot of FTFs, partly because there's so few caches in my area, but I kinda got a "heads up" last night about an upcoming cache, and as expected, it popped up early this morning, and I ran out and scored the FTF.

Sooooooooo, here's a thought I had, and I'm actually acting on it a little bit, but had an even eviler thought and wondered what youall think of this. I haven't logged my find on the cache page, and don't intend to until later tonight, when, most likely, other people will have gone and found it by then.

My eviler thought is this: What if I were to go out and find the cache, NOT sign the log book, but take something such as a TB to prove that I was in fact there first, but not log it til later. If I don't sign the book, is that still a legitimate FTF?

IMO (and probably most), signing the logbook is a prerequisite for logging a find, so I doubt that removing a TB or something should count. If you don't sign the logbook, it's not a find.

As far as not logging it online, take as long as you want. I do that all the time (or at least when I get a FTF anyways). Let others think the FTF is still up for grabs until the STF or TFT logs it.

Edited by ThePropers

Yeah and maybe I'll take a Moun10bike coin from a cache in your area but leave it logged into the cache. Then when you go running to get the coin I'll laugh. Sounds fun right? :rolleyes:

I don't think there's that much need for angst...he said he was just waiting until later tonight to log the find. I do that all the time. There's no pre-requisite that you must log your find online within X hours. Heck, I'll go somewhere for a weekend and grab TBs and not log them for a few days until I get back to a computer.

I think the main questions were:

1) Is it ok to wait to log your find: Of course it is.

2) Is it ok to not sign the physical logbook and remove a TB to prove you were there (logging it online later of course)? No, it's not, since signing the physical logbook is a requirement of logging a find. I assume the reason for this thinking would be to let someone find the cache after him, see the blank logbook and think they had the FTF, only to find later that they were in fact beaten by someone else. I see the reasoning, but in addition to not being very funny, it wouldn't be a legitimate FTF.

Edited by ThePropers

That kind of behavior would just classify you as a jamoke in my book.

For some reason, the collective group has a bug stuck someplace that the logbook must be signed.

Although taking a travel bug that's in the cache, or posting a picture of your mug with the cache or the logbook pretty much proves the same thing.

Here's the thing I can't figure out. A large percentage (and in my opinion 75% of the game) is logging your adventure on-line. There for the true FTF'er is the person that visits the cache and then logs a find first to the cache page on the GC.com website.

Also, who says that the FTF'er has to sign the first page of the logbook?

Why don't you just sign someplace in the middle of the book, marking the time and date.

Or even better, flip the logbook over and sign the last page. Claim ignorance when you log in on the website and just say you're FTF. ;):D:rolleyes:

That kind of behavior would just classify you as a jamoke in my book.

For some reason, the collective group has a bug stuck someplace that the logbook must be signed.

Although taking a travel bug that's in the cache, or posting a picture of your mug with the cache or the logbook pretty much proves the same thing.

Here's the thing I can't figure out. A large percentage (and in my opinion 75% of the game) is logging your adventure on-line. There for the true FTF'er is the person that visits the cache and then logs a find first to the cache page on the GC.com website.

Also, who says that the FTF'er has to sign the first page of the logbook?

Why don't you just sign someplace in the middle of the book, marking the time and date.

Or even better, flip the logbook over and sign the last page. Claim ignorance when you log in on the website and just say you're FTF. ;):D:rolleyes:

Signing the last page sounds like a better idea.

As for the rest, I'll disagree. The true FTF'er is the person who signs the logbook first (hence, finding the cache), not the person who signs it online the fastest. Why you would think otherwise boggles my mind.

That's like saying if I get there and 5 people have already been there, but I happen to use my blackberry to log it online while sitting on the log beside the cache, I can claim FTF.

Edited by ThePropers

I think your "idea" is just plain crappy. The logging, well, no one can make you log it as fast as possible, but taking a TB with out logging it is wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I would log the TB at the same time I record my find online. ThePropers seem to understand my line of thinking the best. I'm just trying to mislead people into thinking that they scored the FTF when in fact, they haven't.

NOT sign the log book, but take something such as a TB to prove that I was in fact there first, but not log it til later. If I don't sign the book, is that still a legitimate FTF?

In some ways, that would be the owner's call. However, given the extremely short description of what constitutes a find here on the site

Step 4 – The Find

Huzzah! You found the cache! Congratulations! Now what?

* Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book.

I'd say you'd better sign the log. Anywhere on it, of course.

:rolleyes:

I think your "idea" is just plain crappy. The logging, well, no one can make you log it as fast as possible, but taking a TB with out logging it is wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I would log the TB at the same time I record my find online. ThePropers seem to understand my line of thinking the best. I'm just trying to mislead people into thinking that they scored the FTF when in fact, they haven't.

Well, then why not find the cache and Never log it? :D

Personally I think FTF are pointless unless you finished a really hard hike, or a difficult puzzle first... and even then a lot of it is timing.

But I'm getting of track, what I wanted to ask is, what is the point of trying to fool someone else?? Are you trying to encourge more FTF hunters because they think they can still get it? or trying to set them up to be disappointed so they'll stop competing with you for FTFs? or something else :rolleyes:

Personally I think FTF are pointless unless you finished a really hard hike, or a difficult puzzle first... and even then a lot of it is timing.

But I'm getting of track, what I wanted to ask is, what is the point of trying to fool someone else?? Are you trying to encourge more FTF hunters because they think they can still get it? or trying to set them up to be disappointed so they'll stop competing with you for FTFs? or something else :rolleyes:

I'm just tryin to disappoint them a little. I hope they'll still compete for em though. That's what makes it fun.

NOT sign the log book, but take something such as a TB to prove that I was in fact there first, but not log it til later. If I don't sign the book, is that still a legitimate FTF?

In some ways, that would be the owner's call. However, given the extremely short description of what constitutes a find here on the site

Step 4 – The Find

Huzzah! You found the cache! Congratulations! Now what?

* Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book.

I'd say you'd better sign the log. Anywhere on it, of course.

:rolleyes:

The key word there, though, is USUALLY. :D

I'd ask myself this question: Do I want to be nice or do I want to be mean? It it's mean, why?

FTFers who log the find right away are often thought to be evil. But, only my opiinion, but I think folks who get an FTF and wait to log it just to frustrate other cachers aren't evil, I think they're foolish and mean. Your actions wouldn't hurt me, I'd beat you to the cache if you were in my area. But your actions would hurt new cachers who go hunt a new cache thinking it hasn't been logged and who are thrilled that they are going to get their first FTF, only to discover that the FTF cacher wanted to play stupid mind games.

It's ok to wait to log a find for a great many reasons, but to do it to 'tease' others is childish and mean-spirited.

If you want to be regarded as evil go hide some evil caches. Don't resort to dirty tricks. The best that will come of that is that you'll be disliked or pitied, the worst will be that someone will give up caching because acts like this make it appear to be meaninglessly competitive.

Sorry if I come off yelling, I always do. I just think you'll be happier to be thought of as both 'evil' and 'classy.'

- T of TandS

If I go to a cache and no one has signed the log, I claim FTF. I often do not go through the cache contents. You SAY you were first because of the TB. If you don't sign the log...you were STF there or are claiming it without proof.

<shrug> Can't prove it by me. Who's to say the TB was or wasn't there...?

THAT'S the problem with not signing the log.

I'd ask myself this question: Do I want to be nice or do I want to be mean? It it's mean, why?

FTFers who log the find right away are often thought to be evil. But, only my opiinion, but I think folks who get an FTF and wait to log it just to frustrate other cachers aren't evil, I think they're foolish and mean. Your actions wouldn't hurt me, I'd beat you to the cache if you were in my area. But your actions would hurt new cachers who go hunt a new cache thinking it hasn't been logged and who are thrilled that they are going to get their first FTF, only to discover that the FTF cacher wanted to play stupid mind games.

It's ok to wait to log a find for a great many reasons, but to do it to 'tease' others is childish and mean-spirited.

If you want to be regarded as evil go hide some evil caches. Don't resort to dirty tricks. The best that will come of that is that you'll be disliked or pitied, the worst will be that someone will give up caching because acts like this make it appear to be meaninglessly competitive.

Sorry if I come off yelling, I always do. I just think you'll be happier to be thought of as both 'evil' and 'classy.'

- T of TandS

Odd, I don't think it's mean at all.

We even have a group of three cachers around here who go hunting together. If one of them finds the cache first, it's a game to see if they can sign the log and replace the cache without the others noticing. They find it funny when someone else in the group finds the cache, only to discover another member of the group signed the log two minutes ago without them noticing.

Maybe it's just a regional thing...

Anyways, I say go for it. Sign the log on the last page and wait 24 hours to log it online. If someone gets mad, point them to the rule that says you have to sign the first page of the logbook and log it online within an hour. If they insist that you didn't sign the log, tell them to go look on the last page.

I guess I don't find it hilarious, but see no reason to advertise asap that you found the cache.

Edited by ThePropers

... I'll disagree. The true FTF'er is the person who signs the logbook first (hence, finding the cache), not the person who signs it online the fastest. Why you would think otherwise boggles my mind.

That's like saying if I get there and 5 people have already been there, but I happen to use my blackberry to log it online while sitting on the log beside the cache, I can claim FTF.

Sounds good to me.

You used technology to get the cache coordinates in the first place, so why not use technology to complete the transactions. Isn't that's what it's all about?

It's not like you learned about the coordinates for a cache by giving some one a secret handshake or reading about the caching location in the classified section of the daily paper.

If logging into the website and bragging about being FTF or finding x number of caches is not part of the game, then what's the point of having a website at all where you can document you finds.

In which case, TheManInStripes has a valid point. Find the cache whenever, and then log you online adventure whenever.

So this is the plan: You get inside information to get an unfair advantage on your fellow hounds, and then you don't sign the logbook. Sounds great, have fun with that. Guess you'll be easy to spot at the next geo-event.

eta:

just wait til we cut Alaska in half and make Texas the THIRD largest state.
:rolleyes: Edited by denali7

I'm just tryin to disappoint them a little. I hope they'll still compete for em though. That's what makes it fun.

If anything, i'd say you would lose the competition. You start messing with people like that and they aren't going to want to play with you no more. I'm not talking about being disappointed. I''m talking about people who drive for miles, waste fuel and their time only to find that someone screwed with them. There are times when the cache can't be logged in a timely manner. This is going to happen and can't be helped, but to routinely and purposely do it is gonna definitely some cause angst!

We even have a group of three cachers around here who go hunting together. If one of them finds the cache first, it's a game to see if they can sign the log and replace the cache without the others noticing. They find it funny when someone else in the group finds the cache, only to discover another member of the group signed the log two minutes ago without them noticing.

Now that's friggin' funny. ;):D:rolleyes:

Personally, I don't hunt FTF's. I personally prefer to find the cache after the FTF hounds iron out all of the loose and bad coordinates in the process of ripping up the place eliminating all of bogus possible hiding spots.

... I'll disagree. The true FTF'er is the person who signs the logbook first (hence, finding the cache), not the person who signs it online the fastest. Why you would think otherwise boggles my mind.

Sounds good to me.

You used technology to get the cache coordinates in the first place, so why not use technology to complete the transactions. Isn't that's what it's all about?

It's not like you learned about the coordinates for a cache by giving some one a secret handshake or reading about the caching location in the classified section of the daily paper.

If logging into the website and bragging about being FTF or finding x number of caches is not part of the game, then what's the point of having a website at all where you can document you finds.

In which case, TheManInStripes has a valid point. Find the cache whenever, and then log you online adventure whenever.

I believe that is why there is the FTL (First To Log) acronym, which makes sense for what you are saying.

I can't wait until someone beats me to logging a cache online and demands I mail them the FTF prize I got for finding the cache first. :rolleyes:

Edited by ThePropers

I don't think it's mean-spirited at all. If you want to be FTF, then you'd better hop to it as soon as you notice the cache. Don't rely AT ALL on the cache page to tell you if it's "still up for grabs" -- if you're in it for the FTF hunt, then the risk that the cache page is out of date is a risk you'll have to take.

After all, whether I deliberately delay my online log to tease other FTF hounds, or whether my internet was down all weekend or I was away on a weekend trip -- the net result is still that I am delayed in writing my log. You wouldn't call me mean-spirited if I was FTF on a new cache but couldn't log until later for legitimate reasons. Yet the net effect on other potential FTF'ers is the same.

I've even done caches where there were no online logs when I left the house, but there sure were when I got back home! (Usually means I scored 2TF, ah well).

Check out the logs on this puzzle cache to see the (humorous) effects of being FTF and deliberately waiting to log it...

(Another thought: If there's only one person in your area well known for nabbing FTF's, place a picture of him/her into the cache when you find it. Or if he leaves a particular signature item, make sure one of them beats him to the cache...)

I believe that is why there is the FTL (First To Log) acronym, which makes sense for what you are saying.

I've never heard that one. I guess we have a higher FTF purity index here on the East Coast! :D

I can be FTL all day long. I'd just log notes or DNF's and claim my FTL prize!

I can't wait until someone beats me to logging a cache online and demands I mail them the FTF prize I got for finding the cache first. :rolleyes:

You mean that hasn't happened to you?

I've seen people brag that they are first to solve a puzzle cache and expect some kinds of props for that.

I can understand being FTF, signing the logbook, and waiting to log online - don't like it but can understand it. However not signing the logbook, or signing it in the midle or at the end just to make other people look foolish claiming FTF is, IMO, being a calss A jerk.

And for signing the logbook in the middle or last page - how does that prove you were FTF? If your name is on the first line of the first page its pretty obvious that you're first. Any other spot and you could have been second or third - who knows when it was signed. Just writing a date & time don't prove that you were there when you said you were.

Taking a TB doesn't prove anything either - as mentioned before some people don't even look through the swag, and some don't take TBs, or take them only if they know they can help on the mission. The only way to prove FTF is to have your name on the first line of the first page.

We are not FTF hounds, but will certainly race for them on occaision. Here are our thoughts:

- if we find a logbook unsigned, we claim the FTF

- if the log was pre-signed (i.e beta tester, tip from placer prior to posting) then we still claim the FTF

- FTF is not first to log on GC.com, but first to find the actual cache and sign the logbook (many cachers take great pride in being first to log - we don't get it?)

- we once delayed logging on GC.com, and the STF was very pissed at us because he went out at 1:00AM to find it, since then we've attempted to log shortly after the find

- we've also had people deliberately not log their FTF, and we were pissed, but we quickly got over it

These are the rules, live by them (just kidding, they're only our own guidlines)

- if the log was pre-signed (i.e beta tester, tip from placer prior to posting) then we still claim the FTF

- FTF is not first to log on GC.com, but first to find the actual cache and sign the logbook (many cachers take great pride in being first to log - we don't get it?)

Wait a minute! :anitongue: I've been replying mostly tongue-in-check here, but these two statements are somewhat contradictory.

If someone has signed the log as a result of finding the cache, why isn't that finder the legitmate FTF?

As someone said earlier; "Why you would think otherwise boggles my mind." :laughing:

Since this thread is suggesting that logging a find on-line is insignificant to FTF bragging rights. Why does it matter how the first finder came up with the coordinates.

Wait a minute! :anitongue: I've been replying mostly tongue-in-check here, but these two statements are somewhat contradictory.

If someone has signed the log as a result of finding the cache, why isn't that finder the legitmate FTF?

As someone said earlier; "Why you would think otherwise boggles my mind." :laughing:

Since this thread is suggesting that logging a find on-line is insignificant to FTF bragging rights. Why does it matter how the first finder came up with the coordinates.

Because anyone who is a "beta-tester" and did not get the coordinates from a published cache page can't be FTF. It's patently unfair and that has been agreed to here pretty much unanimously. How can you claim FTF in good conscience- when you are the only soul in the world who even knows the cache exists (other than the cache hider)?

That would be like me letting my GF get FTF on one of my caches. Not gonna happen.

Edited by disenchanted

My sentiments exactly. :anitongue:

I dunno. I get sortof a different feeling when I'm out attempting a FTF. I wouldn't say it's a "rush" but it's definitely a feeling of anticipation....moreso than another cache that's already been found.

I would even go so far as to say that if I see a new cache pop up, and I plan on doing the FTF attempt during lunch, that I feel a slight case of disappointment if it's logged before I leave and the journey/search is not quite as rewarding as it would have been if I didn't know that it had already been found.

Anyways, I don't mind if people choose to wait...I think I'd enjoy the search more not knowing that it had already been found.

That probably makes no sense. Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

Edited by ThePropers

I dunno. I get sortof a different feeling when I'm out attempting a FTF. I wouldn't say it's a "rush" but it's definitely a feeling of anticipation....moreso than another cache that's already been found.

I would even go so far as to say that if I see a new cache pop up, and I plan on doing the FTF attempt during lunch, that I feel a slight case of disappointment if it's logged before I leave and the journey/search is not quite as rewarding as it would have been if I didn't know that it had already been found.

Anyways, I don't mind if people choose to wait...I think I'd enjoy the search more not knowing that it had already been found.

That probably makes no sense. Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

I know exactly what your talking about. I remember one time, a cache was published, just before I left for work and I didn't have time to go hunt it on the way to work. It was also just far enough out of the way to think about doing it during lunch too. So, I headed out for it at 5 PM on my way home, after tracking activity on the cache at work throughout the day and it hadn't been logged. Byt the time I found the cache, there were already 3 signatures in there, and when I got home 5 minutes later, 2 of them had finally been logged, but both had occurred rather early in the day according to the logs.

On that note, I have enjoyed the discussion generated on the topic, and now that the Second To Find has logged in and paid thir due respects, I have also logged.

"That probably makes no sense. Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm talking about."

It makes sense to me. I feel the same way about the hunt. If it's been found before I get there I actually admire the cacher who beat me. And if it wasn't logged when I went out it's always been because the cacher hadn't had the chance. I love to get beat to a cache. It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a race. But if the outcome is already determined and hidden just to have a cheap laugh it pollutes geocaching. But if I were a new geocacher, and we all know plenty of new geocachers, I wouldn't have the perspective that allows me to know that someone playing games is just one of the very few bad apples among the great majority of fantastic people who make up the geocaching community.

I've never met a cacher who'd intentionally not log a find just to mess with other cachers. If this were done on one of the caches we own I'd delete the delayed log, over and over and over. I wouldn't hesitate to use this arbitrary right as a cache owner. I can't speak for anyone but myself, however, I think a cacher behaving this way would have trouble logging any find in our area.

I just can't imagine doing this to other cachers. My best friends are fellow cachers with whom I've met and shared a respect and love of geocaching.

This is all just my opinion, and I've probably spoke my mind too much. Geocaching is what each of us makes it and of it, and I am quick to keep it as free from the troubles of the world (as I see them, bad bad judgemental me!) as I can.

- T of TandS

My sentiments exactly. :laughing:

Still, it seems to me mean spirited for someone to deliberately delay logging a FTF to spoil another finder's fun.

Still, it seems to me mean spirited for someone to deliberately delay logging a FTF to spoil another finder's fun.

Am I really spoiling their fun though? Or am I making it MORE FUN for them, by letting them go out and search thinking that they may still have a shot at the FTF?

EDIT for spelling.

Edited by TheManInStripes

Yes, disappointment is fun. Taking pleasure in the misery of others is an excellent idea. How about while waiting to log the FTF, we kill that time by pushing old ladies off their walkers, and kicking puppies. Oohh, or how about you take the cache WITH you for most of the day, so that everyone ELSE has to log a DNF, and then you put it back in the evening. That'd be an EXCELLENT idea :anitongue:

Oohh, or how about you take the cache WITH you for most of the day, so that everyone ELSE has to log a DNF, and then you put it back in the evening. That'd be an EXCELLENT idea :anitongue:

Ya know, I've heard of people suspecting that on puzzle multi caches before, where someone suspected that the first person to get to the first point took the cache with the puzzle in it to prevent anyone else from getting there, getting the puzzle, and solving it first, then returning point #1 to it's spot.

Yes, disappointment is fun. Taking pleasure in the misery of others is an excellent idea. How about while waiting to log the FTF, we kill that time by pushing old ladies off their walkers, and kicking puppies. Oohh, or how about you take the cache WITH you for most of the day, so that everyone ELSE has to log a DNF, and then you put it back in the evening. That'd be an EXCELLENT idea :laughing:

Kabuthunk - Now THAT is funny! I totally agree! :cool:

Why on Earth would you get off on trying to be "evil" or "disappoint them a little"? I guess I just don't get the fun in that - haven't you got something more positive to do? How about letting someone else have the fun of finding it first? :anitongue:

Yeah and maybe I'll take a Moun10bike coin from a cache in your area but leave it logged into the cache. Then when you go running to get the coin I'll laugh. Sounds fun right? :anitongue:

Man, if you're this bitter now, just wait til we cut Alaska in half and make Texas the THIRD largest state.

Having been born in Texas graduated high school there and in between those two lived in Alaska for three years, this is the funniest thing I've yet to read on these forums.... It took me hours to stop laughing...

I don't know about the rest, but I think the concensus is that you have to log it in the book before you can claim a FTF. Not that it really matters... Otherwise I could wait for them to pop up on the website, log in and log it as a find. Then take my time to get to it days or months later and sign the logbook, if even then. Honestly I think the thing is playing the game and, as with every game, there are rules, written and implied.

But as with everything else, I could be wrong...

Texas the third largest state, that is some funny stuff. Of course then with global warming the two new Alaskas will melt up and then they'll be the 7th and 9th largest states....

"That probably makes no sense. Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm talking about."

It makes sense to me. I feel the same way about the hunt. If it's been found before I get there I actually admire the cacher who beat me. And if it wasn't logged when I went out it's always been because the cacher hadn't had the chance. I love to get beat to a cache. It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a race. But if the outcome is already determined and hidden just to have a cheap laugh it pollutes geocaching. But if I were a new geocacher, and we all know plenty of new geocachers, I wouldn't have the perspective that allows me to know that someone playing games is just one of the very few bad apples among the great majority of fantastic people who make up the geocaching community.

I've never met a cacher who'd intentionally not log a find just to mess with other cachers. If this were done on one of the caches we own I'd delete the delayed log, over and over and over. I wouldn't hesitate to use this arbitrary right as a cache owner. I can't speak for anyone but myself, however, I think a cacher behaving this way would have trouble logging any find in our area.

I just can't imagine doing this to other cachers. My best friends are fellow cachers with whom I've met and shared a respect and love of geocaching.

This is all just my opinion, and I've probably spoke my mind too much. Geocaching is what each of us makes it and of it, and I am quick to keep it as free from the troubles of the world (as I see them, bad bad judgemental me!) as I can.

- T of TandS

And that makes you better then them, how? And then you will continue to "punish" them by making it hard/impossible to log other caches - which if it's another FTF is componding the problem. How morally superior.

Yeah and maybe I'll take a Moun10bike coin from a cache in your area but leave it logged into the cache. Then when you go running to get the coin I'll laugh. Sounds fun right? :laughing:

Man, if you're this bitter now, just wait til we cut Alaska in half and make Texas the THIRD largest state.

Having been born in Texas graduated high school there and in between those two lived in Alaska for three years, this is the funniest thing I've yet to read on these forums.... It took me hours to stop laughing...

I don't know about the rest, but I think the concensus is that you have to log it in the book before you can claim a FTF. Not that it really matters... Otherwise I could wait for them to pop up on the website, log in and log it as a find. Then take my time to get to it days or months later and sign the logbook, if even then. Honestly I think the thing is playing the game and, as with every game, there are rules, written and implied.

But as with everything else, I could be wrong...

Texas the third largest state, that is some funny stuff. Of course then with global warming the two new Alaskas will melt up and then they'll be the 7th and 9th largest states....

I aim to please.....Everyone needs a good laugh here and there. :cool::(:anitongue:

My sentiments exactly. :(

Am I really spoiling their fun though? Or am I making it MORE FUN for them, by letting them go out and search thinking that they may still have a shot at the FTF?

*shrug* This still confuses me. I tend to think that people do a lot of the things they do in geocaching for themselves. Not exclusive of course, but in part at least. Finding a cache because they want to see a nice view, or do a nice puzzle, or to have found all caches in town, or to get their stats to end in zeros, or because they want to be the first one to finish. You on the other hand want the FTF not for yourself (for whatever reason), but so you can intentionally screw with other FTF hounds :cool: I guess if you all know the rules, and enjoy it, knock yourself out. Though I think you're likely to upset some nonplayer that blunders into the way.

Hey, maybe next time I hide a cache I should put two logbooks in, one fake one real. or put a fake one in the cache, and a real one somewhere else with directions to the real on the bottom of the cache? :laughing:

- T of TandS

So, if I were in your area and did this, and you deleted my log, then who's gonna claim the FTF? And if I were the first to find someone else knows my log was deleted and why, and they in turn claim the FTF, is this a legitimate FTF claim on their part? I have a feeling if I lived in your area and you and I were racing for FTFs, we'd have a good time with each other. I also think that if the opposite were true, and my logs started to disappear, so would some caches. :anitongue::laughing:

*shrug* This still confuses me. I tend to think that people do a lot of the things they do in geocaching for themselves. Not exclusive of course, but in part at least. Finding a cache because they want to see a nice view, or do a nice puzzle, or to have found all caches in town, or to get their stats to end in zeros, or because they want to be the first one to finish. You on the other hand want the FTF not for yourself (for whatever reason), but so you can intentionally screw with other FTF hounds :( I guess if you all know the rules, and enjoy it, knock yourself out. Though I think you're likely to upset some nonplayer that blunders into the way.

Hey, maybe next time I hide a cache I should put two logbooks in, one fake one real. or put a fake one in the cache, and a real one somewhere else with directions to the real on the bottom of the cache? :cool:

I think that's called a multi!! :(

YAAAY! Admitting to premeditated theft online is fun! :anitongue:

But that aside, it might just be me, but threatening to steal caches when a cache owner doesn't agree with you seems kinda... not quite right. You could always... y'know... NOT go after caches placed by them. That's another option.

YAAAY! Admitting to premeditated theft online is fun! :anitongue:

But that aside, it might just be me, but threatening to steal caches when a cache owner doesn't agree with you seems kinda... not quite right. You could always... y'know... NOT go after caches placed by them. That's another option.

And how is them deleting my legitimate logs simply because they disagree with the timing of my log any better? And is it really "theft" if someone simply left it in the middle of the woods?

And how is them deleting my legitimate logs simply because they disagree with the timing of my log any better? And is it really "theft" if someone simply left it in the middle of the woods?

Because they're given the power to decide what is a legit find and what is not, sometimes that gets abused, but thats another discussion.

YES. If I can get the cops to arrest you, or sue you about is again another discussion. But 'theft of a geocache is ok when...' is complete BS. :anitongue: If don't get that, then you really should reconsider geocaching as a hobby for you.

Because they're given the power to decide what is a legit find and what is not, sometimes that gets abused, but thats another discussion.

YES. If I can get the cops to arrest you, or sue you about is again another discussion. But 'theft of a geocache is ok when...' is complete BS. :laughing: If don't get that, then you really should reconsider geocaching as a hobby for you.

He never questioned the legitimacy of the find. And you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a cop that is going to arrest somone for picking up trash. :anitongue:

YES. If I can get the cops to arrest you, or sue you about is again another discussion. But 'theft of a geocache is ok when...' is complete BS. :laughing: If don't get that, then you really should reconsider geocaching as a hobby for you.

He never questioned the legitimacy of the find. And you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a cop that is going to arrest somone for picking up trash. :anitongue:

Exactly, if you can't tell the difference between litter and a geocache you shouldn't be caching. Do you happen to steal TBs and coins too?

Exactly, if you can't tell the difference between litter and a geocache you shouldn't be caching. Do you happen to steal TBs and coins too?

Can't say that I do. Matter of fact, the one TB that I have released disappeared after it's first cache.