Identifying users

ThePropers

What is GC.com's policy on identifying a user? I am curious based on some recent angst-filled threads that have now been removed, but involved personal attacks, as well as what could be considered threatening of someone's child.

If I was that kid's father, I would be contacting GC.com to get the guy's IP address, email address, and the person's real identity (assuming they used it when they signed up) and notifying my lawyers. What would GC.com's policy be on giving up this information to me or my lawyers in this particular case?

Also, since the threads (or the relevant posts) have been removed, are they completely gone, or can they be recovered for legal uses?

Edited by ThePropers

Not unless there is criminal involvment of a serious nature and then with a search warrant - then it really gets complicated.

From what I have seen they have done a very good job of keeping things under control and I trust that everything that is on the server is saved :rolleyes:

Other than someone getting all hot and typing something they may regret later I would not get all worked up over it - now if they show up at my front door - that is another story.

Not unless there is criminal involvment of a serious nature and then with a search warrant - then it really gets complicated.

From what I have seen they have done a very good job of keeping things under control and I trust that everything that is on the server is saved :rolleyes:

Other than someone getting all hot and typing something they may regret later I would not get all worked up over it - now if they show up at my front door - that is another story.

Thanks, and I agree that the TPTB do a good job here.

I typically would just blow it off, but when people start posting pictures of members' kids with...uhm....offensive/sexual comments about them, I do get tend to get upset. I do know if if it had been my kid, I would be looking at pursuing something more than just having the post removed.

Edited by ThePropers

IP address does not mean much. There is a new version (spin-off) of Firefox. It randomizes your IP address to other areas of the world etc. I have heard of wireless users go around the city using other internet waves from different sources. So unless they are actually using a desktop computer, and are not very smart, it would be very hard to find them

I have a desktop computer, but I Torpark browser, I can change my IP address with one click.

IP address does not mean much. There is a new version (spin-off) of Firefox. It randomizes your IP address to other areas of the world etc. I have heard of wireless users go around the city using other internet waves from different sources. So unless they are actually using a desktop computer, and are not very smart, it would be very hard to find them

I have a desktop computer, but I Torpark browser, I can change my IP address with one click.

Unless you use a proxy anonymizer, your IP address is still logged at the server, regardless of what you think that you've changed it to. Within your home network, your router may assign you a different IP, but your router always keeps the one assigned to it, and that will be logged on the web server. Firefox (or your browser) might represent it to be something else, but without the correct IP, you wouldn't get anything back from the web server.

It's like your home address. You can tell everyone it's two houses down, but then you're not going to be getting your mail.

Using an anonymizer (which has the effect of you->anonymizer_service->internet / internet->anonymizer_service->you) would accomplish what you think you're doing, but few non-felons know enough to use one.

(Just joking on the felons bit. Terrorists with clean records use them, too. ;) )

...Using an anonymizer (which has the effect of you->anonymizer_service->internet / internet->anonymizer_service->you) would accomplish what you think you're doing, but few non-felons know enough to use one.

(Just joking on the felons bit. Terrorists with clean records use them, too. ;) )

Paranoid people, also.

All that is required to be a basic member is to have a valid e-mail address. It would probably be for the better to have all users (or perhaps new users) to provide I.D. of who they are (name, address) to Groundspeak. I can imagine that this process would not be free and would make basic membership cost something, so I highly doubt it would be implemented.

The geocide, malarky, and blatant jackassery rate among charter/premium members is probably quite low compared to regular members - I would think that this is because some people just don't take the game seriously enough when all you have to do to join is just provide an e-mail address. But I'd also like to say that taking the game TOO seriously is almost as bad as being a total jackass. ;)

All that is required to be a basic member is to have a valid e-mail address. It would probably be for the better to have all users (or perhaps new users) to provide I.D. of who they are (name, address) to Groundspeak. I can imagine that this process would not be free and would make basic membership cost something, so I highly doubt it would be implemented.

The geocide, malarky, and blatant jackassery rate among charter/premium members is probably quite low compared to regular members - I would think that this is because some people just don't take the game seriously enough when all you have to do to join is just provide an e-mail address. But I'd also like to say that taking the game TOO seriously is almost as bad as being a total jackass. ;)

You are required to give a name when you sign up, also. People can give fake ones, but I doubt that this particular bent individual would have thought of that so far in advance.

... as well as what could be considered threatening of someone's child.

If I was that kid's father, I would be contacting GC.com to get the guy's IP address, email address, and the person's real identity...

And with that in mind, when I first saw the picture and note from the offending person, I did a "print screen" and saved the image for the future just in case. I am sure that TPTB can regenerate the image if or when needed, but would rather be safe than sorry.

...Using an anonymizer (which has the effect of you->anonymizer_service->internet / internet->anonymizer_service->you) would accomplish what you think you're doing, but few non-felons know enough to use one.

Paranoid people, also.

Paranoid. It's good policy anymore.

Paranoid people, also.

Paranoid. It's good policy anymore.

Agreed.

Using an anonymizer (which has the effect of you->anonymizer_service->internet / internet->anonymizer_service->you) would accomplish what you think you're doing, but few non-felons know enough to use one.

Your info is out of date. As the user posted above, they use the Torpark browser, which makes it simple for even Grandma to use a anonymizer.

This only came out about 2 weeks ago, so you are forgiven.

-B

Your info is out of date. As the user posted above, they use the Torpark browser, which makes it simple for even Grandma to use a anonymizer.

I stand corrected, though unless Grandma reads slashdot or digg, she's probably just as unaware :laughing:

I don't use Windows, though, to browse the Internet, so I guess all my trips to geocaching.com and ebay are piling up at the local Echelon choke point :rolleyes:

From what I have seen they have done a very good job of keeping things under control and I trust that everything that is on the server is saved :laughing:

Thanks, and I agree that the TPTB do a good job here.

I typically would just blow it off, but when people start posting pictures of members' kids with...uhm....offensive/sexual comments about them, I do get tend to get upset. I do know if if it had been my kid, I would be looking at pursuing something more than just having the post removed.

I didn't see the picture but with the current climate we have today due to all the killing of kids before and/or after sexually molesting them this last couple of weeks, I am pretty certain that any picture of that nature would be investigated if given to the proper authorities.

Father? Ever seen a mad momma bear?