(PA) Be careful out there

Team_LPD

Are hunters allowed to hunt basically anywhere they want? I've seen some sightings of hunters hunting in what seemed to be far too cloee to civilization areas. I dont have a clue about the rules of hunting but are there certain types of land areas we should be more careful in if out caching this time of year? Thanks

If you're hunting or caching Columbia County, I've hid 4 ammo boxes in SGL's 55, 58 and 226. The caches combine road tours visiting covered bridges in the county to get clues of the final cache coordinates in the SGL's where the ammo boxes are hidden. GCP53H GCP55G GCP493 GCP4TM I've highlighted the requirement for "orange".

Funny thing is my daughter and I hid the caches on the last day of turkey season. We had on orange hats only. Fortunately, we didn't even hear any shots although we did see a bunch or turkeys including one hopping around on one foot! He should have been wearing an orange hat too!

We had on orange hats only. Fortunately, we didn't even hear any shots although we did see a bunch or turkeys including one hopping around on one foot! He should have been wearing an orange hat too!

The only problem is that 'IF' you were to get shot, you wouldn't have heard the shot being fired. So hearing shots fired is probably a good thing. :anitongue:

pssss - stop by SGL 109 on the 14th (late afternoon) and get them moving for me <_<

It's amazing how many hunters don't feel this way. They would rather let the deer sleep a hundred yards away and never see them. A little traffic in the woods to keep the deer moving is great for hunters, but they usually get upset if anyone walks through.

pssss - stop by SGL 109 on the 14th (late afternoon) and get them moving for me :huh:

It's amazing how many hunters don't feel this way. They would rather let the deer sleep a hundred yards away and never see them. A little traffic in the woods to keep the deer moving is great for hunters, but they usually get upset if anyone walks through.

Actually a lot of the reason hunters feel this way is many of them spend months spotting big bucks, they research deer runs, their patterns, buck rubs...etc. They set up tree stands on these runs and use methods like doe urine or banging antlers to help ensure the deer use these runs during the season. Many of them even go so far as to research the lay of the land and set up multiple deer stands for how the deer may move if the wind is blowing or if it's raining, or to keep themselves downwind of the runs so the deer don't smell them.

Then hunting season comes, they get up at 4 in the morning and tromp out and get set up in their deer stand....and along comes some geocacher tromping through the woods and scare all the deer in a completely different pattern than they've naturally moved in the past few months (and possibly completely scare them out of the area for the day), and all of your months of planning are shot to hell.

I'd be pi$$ed too. There is a lot more to hunting than "go sit in the woods and hope a deer happens to walk by"

Of course, I hunt on private land so I don't run into the problems that hunters have on public gamelands. What I do know though is it's probably best to not tick off hunters who will complain to the game commission who might reevaluate their geocaching policy.

Edited by ThePropers

__it happens that's part of life.

Now if you have done your homework properly anyone wandering around wont be a problem as I see it, plus you can place caches to work to your advantage - yea it's a bit more than someone just wandering around the woods. Don't even think about all the other amatures out there who are trying to bag their big game critter as well. Anyone and anything can ruin your fun.

Yea be safe, wear your orange

The fall hunting season started this past Saturday with the opening of archery season. As well as being a geocacher, I'm also a hunter and we wouldn't want any accidents out there. If your out in the woods Monday-Saturday, remember to where your orange.

This is the reason I save my urban caching to this time of year. I did go out in the woods on Sunday and found one. We wore orange just to be sure....... :laughing:

I'm in WV and gun season starts here on Monday. The weather hasnt been very cooperative on my days off lately anyway, but now i'm extra hesitant because i really dont want to get shot at. Do you guys know if a cacher has ever been shot before? Maybe I'm just paranoid... I just moved here and I have visions of my previously nice friendly woods turning into a war zone. :anicute:

Are hunters allowed to hunt basically anywhere they want? I've seen some sightings of hunters hunting in what seemed to be far too cloee to civilization areas. I dont have a clue about the rules of hunting but are there certain types of land areas we should be more careful in if out caching this time of year? Thanks

In PA, the gamelands (owned by the Game Commission) are open to hunting all year long, and to all licensed hunters. Private property can be hunted only after recieving permission from the owner (although some hunters don't bother asking). There is also a "Safety Zone" exrending for 150 yards from any occupied building. In order to hunt within that zone, you must have written permission from the occupant. This even includes land that is not owned by the occupant. In other words, you have a "Safety Zone" extending 150 yards around your house, barn, or any outbuildings. Hope this answers your question.