USA Photomaps & Garmin GPS

I was just tinkering around with USA photomaps, trying to download a route from my GPS on to the map. This used to work with the standard Garmin serial cable. However, I have since upgraded my computer, and it now only has USB ports. I have a serial to USB cable, and it works fine with GSAK. I closed GSAK and tried to load a route from the GPS into USA Photomaps using the exact same port (didn't unplug anything), and USA Photoamps won't recognise that Com 12 (where the connector is plugged in) even exists!

Has anyone else had this issue? The only thing I can think of is that USA Photomaps doesn't like the use of the serial to USB connector cable :)

- Jen.

Hmm, it still won't work ;) I have the latest version of USA PhotoMaps too.

When I select GPS/Comm Port/No Serial GPS, and GPS/Protocol/Garmin USB, it tells me "Your USB Garmin doesn't seem to be attached". When I try GPS/Comm Port/Comm 12, and GPS/Protocol/Garmin, it tells me "Couldn't open comm port" and "The comm port doesn't seem to be valid".

When I go to Device Manager, the GPS doesn't show up as a GPS, it shows as a "Serial to USB Bridge". Might that be the problem?

Thanks

- Jen.

Edited by mahgnillig

Mahgnillig, just to clarify a bit, I'm assuming you are using the USB cable that came with your Garmin? Are you still trying to use a serial to USB cable? By the way, which Garmin GPSr do you have? If it is USB capable just use that. If you're using the serial converter KC8NCI is most likely correct. I've seen this same problem with my old Garmin V.

It could be that Com Port 12 is being shared between the USB/Serial cable and something else in your computer. USAPhotoMaps can't work with shared ports. Try changing the port the USB/Serial cable uses (in the Device Manager (which you're apparently familiar with since you know which port your USB/Serial cable uses)). USAPhotoMaps also has the (kludgy) requirement that you have to re-start it after you change serial ports - which you'll have to do to match what you've chosen for your USB/Serial cable serial port. Everything else should be set up as a serial Garmin/USAPhotoMaps connection.