How theft proof is your 60Cxx mounting method?

andman

This thread is inspired by the Nuvi thread at NuviPassion forum: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67667

I was wondering how you mounted your GPSMAP 60Cxx in your car? Pictures are great if you have them.

For myself, I was thinking about a simple approach, basically a little clip stuck to the front of the dash so I could hang the 60 by the belt hook nipple and have the unit lay against the dash panel in a verticle position. It would be easy to see and easy to take off without leaving anything for a thief to notice.

This is exactly what I intend to do to mount my MAP60CSx, once I have worked out how to do it! I need to create and attach a vertical tab somehow. But I have also worked out that it will need to have a small forwards-facing lip (ie pointing to the front of the car) so that the belt clip cannot slip off vertically if I go over a big bump in the road.

I splurged and bought the Garmin auto mount stick-on mount plus the sandbag weighted mount, about $30 each. The sandbag is what I use, as it's portable, but you have to buy the suction cup or stick on mount to get the bracket that holds the unit onto whichever mount you choose. :anitongue:

I then park my car and place the sandbag mount, GPS already attached, on the floor and cover it. Or, if the weather is not hot, in the trunk.

I then park my car and place the sandbag mount, GPS already attached, on the floor and cover it. Or, if the weather is not hot, in the trunk.

you may want to check out page 8 of 116 of the manual here:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP60CSx_OwnersManual.pdf

Under the storage section it says DO NOT leave in high temperatures especially in the trunk of your car(the trunk gets hotter quicker than the inside of your car, and maintains that temp longer).

No mount you can buy is ever going to be completely secure, like I said before the only option is to take you gps receiver with you if you don't want it stole.

Edited by hogrod

No mount you can buy is ever going to be completely secure, like I said before the only option is to take you gps receiver with you if you don't want it stole.

No one said completely secure. We all read what you said, and we knew it before you said it twice.

Radio Shack

I think they only have one.

It's for CB radios and such.

I have one in the minivan, tie wrapped to a AC vent, and it works great.

PP

OHHHHH, I see what you mean, that's a great idea!

It's actually perfect for what I want to do, I appreciate it!

Radio Shack

I think they only have one.

It's for CB radios and such.

I have one in the minivan, tie wrapped to a AC vent, and it works great.

PP

OHHHHH, I see what you mean, that's a great idea!

It's actually perfect for what I want to do, I appreciate it!

If your talking about hanging your gpsr in a CB mic mount off the little nub on back that is a very bad idea unless you have some other way to support the weight of the gpsr. I couldn't find any pictures online right now though I'm sure someone else can find some to show you how weak the plastic is in the back of the gps around the threaded nub. I've seen pictures where to whole back is broke open from mounting that way.

If your talking about hanging your gpsr in a CB mic mount off the little nub on back that is a very bad idea unless you have some other way to support the weight of the gpsr. I couldn't find any pictures online right now though I'm sure someone else can find some to show you how weak the plastic is in the back of the gps around the threaded nub. I've seen pictures where to whole back is broke open from mounting that way.

How is it any different mounting it to a car dash by the nub than putting it on your belt by the nub?

The only difference is that there will be a lot less danger when it's on your car dash. When it's on your belt it's subjected to more hazardous conditions. A simple fall or getting it caught on something and walking away fast enough might break the plastic.

I'll definitely be waiting for pictures and evidence of the unit being more prone to damage on a car dash than on your belt, thanks.

How is it any different mounting it to a car dash by the nub than putting it on your belt by the nub?

The only difference is that there will be a lot less danger when it's on your car dash. When it's on your belt it's subjected to more hazardous conditions. A simple fall or getting it caught on something and walking away fast enough might break the plastic.

I'll definitely be waiting for pictures and evidence of the unit being more prone to damage on a car dash than on your belt, thanks.

There is a lot more constant vibration transferred from the dash than from your belt.

I use the suction cup mount for both my 60Cx and V. Remember to remove the mount from the window as well as the GPS as it is just as good a flag for theives as the GPS. They will assume the GPS is under the seat.

There is a lot more constant vibration transferred from the dash than from your belt.

I beg to differ, on the belt of a hiker the vibrations (or downwards momentum every other second) will be higher on the belt.

Boy I wish someone would pop in here and show you some pictures of the damage you can do mounting your gps like that....

Your right when having your gpsr on your side while hiking there is constant movement of the gps.... the difference being it is hanging perfectly vertical and allowed to swing with your motion. There is no way that the jarring/vibration effect is worse when your hiking at a couple miles an hour compared to hwy speeds in a car/truck.

In your car even with it mounted perfectly vertical what happens when you drive up a steep hill and hit a few good bumps? basically you will be slowly prying the knob mount off the gpsr. so go ahead and mount it that way, just don't say no one didn't try and warn you.

I beg to differ, on the belt of a hiker the vibrations (or downwards momentum every other second) will be higher on the belt.

No need to beg. It's your GPS. Good luck with it.

Something to think about - a hiker travels about 3 miles per hour. Yes, there will be the occassional bump and jolt while tripping over roots, rocks and whatnot. Compare that to a vehicle travelling 60 miles per hour and hitting a seam in the pavement, or a pot hole. The vehicle will "jump" a relatively shorter distance (perhaps a half an inch?) compared to the hiker (an inch or so?) but at a much, much higher velocity = many times more force transferred from the vehicle.

Besides the big amplitude events, vehicles transmit constant high frequency, low amplitude vibration. Kind of like constantly flexing a paper clip up and down several times a second. It may take awhile, but even little bits of energy constantly transferred to a single point will eventually add up to a lot more wear and tear than any hiker can muster (unless you drop the dang thing :laughing: ... or it falls off the dash :unsure: )

Just somthing to consider with your new mount.