Name that Turtle

pghlooking

While out one day last week, we came across a small turtle. When I say small, it is barely bigger than a quarter. We are unsure what kind it is. We have ruled out the 2 most known in the area, being a Eastern Box Turtle and the Snapping Turtle. Some have suggested either a Map Turtle or Woods Turtle. Anybody know for sure?

257476494_9f5397896d.jpg

257461559_07b93fb6de_m.jpg257461561_7fe40be575_m.jpg

257461562_2cba676388.jpg

Edited by pghlooking

The photos of the Bog Turtle didn't match. We looked at that but since the turtle has no colors on the head, and the Bog Turtle has distinct markings on either side of the head we ruled it out.

Also the shell is flater than it appears in the photos. It is not nearly as pronounced as a box turtle. It is much more flattened like a turle found in ponds would be.

After seeing the link Starbrand posted, it is a box turtle. It doesn't have the colors yet, and the shell wasn't hinged. We didn't know that it was that different from a young one to full grown.

Seeing where it was it was only standing the chance of becoming flat, we will try to get it to a better place for it to live.

That would be "Signal's Cousin".

I suggest putting him back ASAP. :rolleyes:

First off...Hi kealia!! Haven't seen you in a while.

Back on topic...the only way he can be Signal's cousins is to drive a nail in his head. :D

I also agree with kealia...put him back in the area you found him.

El Diablo

I used to keep those as pets as a kid. I'm keep them a week or two then release them back to the wild. They are quite tame when that young. I fed them earthworms, crickets, lettuce, and anything like that you can grub out from under rocks.

Like others have said, I agree it's a Box turtle.

It is important for him to be released in exactly the same spot that you took him from. Reptiles do not relocate very well and releasing him in an unfamiliar area will probably cause his death.

For most of the box turtles we have seen that would be the middle of the highway. So --- no.

BTW - after checking a few books my wife is more conviced then ever that the OPs turtle is a Spotted Box Turtle and not an Eastern Box Turtle.

While out one day last week, we came across a small turtle... <snipped boring details>... Anybody know for sure?

Well, as an expert part time turtleologist, I can tell you that most turtles/tortoises in their immature stage are difficult to positively identify by visual means alone. You could wait until the little feller matures, but since some species have lifespans exceeding 100 years, there's a fair chance you could croak before you get your answer. That's why I've developed an alternate method which I expect to have published soon in Nature or perhaps even Field and Stream.

In laymen's terms, it goes something like this: It's a known scientific fact that the various species of turtles and tortoises can be alternately classified according to their diet, i.e., herbivore, carnivore, omnivore, and admixtures thereof. Years of field research has shown me that each species' distinctive diet causes it to have a corresponding distinctive flavor when properly boiled and lightly seasoned. For the sake of brevity, I won't include the entire list here, but suffice to say that eastern box turtles taste much like chicken, common snapping turtles taste like cat, and bog turtles taste more like striped skunk. So my recommendation would be to boil your specimen up, chow down, and let us know the results. :anitongue:

While out one day last week, we came across a small turtle... <snipped boring details>... Anybody know for sure?

Well, as an expert part time turtleologist, I can tell you that most turtles/tortoises in their immature stage are difficult to positively identify by visual means alone. You could wait until the little feller matures, but since some species have lifespans exceeding 100 years, there's a fair chance you could croak before you get your answer. That's why I've developed an alternate method which I expect to have published soon in Nature or perhaps even Field and Stream.

In laymen's terms, it goes something like this: It's a known scientific fact that the various species of turtles and tortoises can be alternately classified according to their diet, i.e., herbivore, carnivore, omnivore, and admixtures thereof. Years of field research has shown me that each species' distinctive diet causes it to have a corresponding distinctive flavor when properly boiled and lightly seasoned. For the sake of brevity, I won't include the entire list here, but suffice to say that eastern box turtles taste much like chicken, common snapping turtles taste like cat, and bog turtles taste more like striped skunk. So my recommendation would be to boil your specimen up, chow down, and let us know the results. :anitongue:

Quite surprised by this posting. Really, really poor taste.

Deep frying really brings out the flavor. I like hot sauce with mine.

Seriously, we have two pet box turtles. Talk about low maintenance. We keep them outside year round in a pen. (Pennsylvania) They will eat just about anything. One loves hotdogs and the others goes crazy over watermellon. They'll both eat right out of our fingers. In the winter months, they dig in and hybernate. It's always a sure sign of spring to see them poking their heads above ground early in the new year. They were both rescued from the highway near our home.

Okay... Dinner time should be over in Finleyville, PA by now. Just what kind of turtle was it, anyway?

Maybe it was a 'soup' turtle?

Hey, we're talkin' serious science here. Didn't you read my earlier post? Any self-respecting turtleologist should know soup turtles have bright, shiny, tin-colored shells with "Campbell's" written in red on them. It was obvious from the pictures posted by the OP, that this was not your garden variety soup turtle. Edited by worldtraveler

It was released 2 days ago. I wasn't asking what kind it was to keep, just to know where to release it. Didn't want a water turtle in the woods and vice versa. Never wanted to keep him so relax some of ya. Releasing him exactly where he was found isn't an option since there is about a 3 X 10 grass area surrounded by about 20 acres of ashphalt and tractor trailers. I think he would much rather be reloacated than to be released back there.

Thanks for the identification, which is all I really wanted, so feel free to close this thread since we aren't allowed anymore.

Okay... Dinner time should be over in Finleyville, PA by now. Just what kind of turtle was it, anyway?

Maybe it was a 'soup' turtle?

Hey, we're talkin' serious science here. Didn't you read my earlier post? Any self-respecting turtleologist should know soup turtles have bright, shiny, tin-colored shells with "Campbell's" written in red on them. It was obvious from the pictures posted by the OP, that this was not your garden variety soup turtle.

Ok, I'll admit I am only an amateur at this turtleologist stuff ;)