Questions about Garmin GPSIII

I have a friend who really wants to get started in Geocaching but is a little financially challenged at present. They have a chance to get a Garmin GPSIII very cheap and asked me if this would do for Geocaching.

Unfortunately, I use Magellan and I don't know anything about Garmin units.

So, my questions are these...

1. Is the GPSIII unit WAAS enabled?

2. Does it use WGS84?

3. Overall, is it a decent unit for caching?

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated.

1. No. Doesn't really matter though. Canada basically doesn't have WAAS and caching does quite well up here.

2. Yes. ALL GPS receivers use WGS84. It is THE datum for GPS. The ONLY time you have to worry about datum is if you've got an old paper map which is in a different datum, or old data which is in a different datum, and even then your best bet is to convert that data to WGS84 rather than change your unit.

3. I don't see why not. I don't personally know anything about it beyond what I canread in the manual from Garmin's website. The big thing that I can think of that makes a unit "good" for geocaching is the ability to downlaod waypoints to it. This one does have a PC hookup, so it'll be able to do that. This eliminates the possibility of punching in coordinates wrong.

Looks like a fine unit to me.

The Garmin GPSIII should work well for geocaching!

I own a Garmin GPSII & GPSV, and they both have worked great for ME!

If your friend finds that they ever want to upgrade from that unit once they start caching, let me know. I would be interested in posibly purchasing the unit for parts, or as another spare in my collection of GPS units! <_<

The Garmin GPSIII should work well for geocaching!

I own a Garmin GPSII & GPSV, and they both have worked great for ME!

If your friend finds that they ever want to upgrade from that unit once they start caching, let me know. I would be interested in posibly purchasing the unit for parts, or as another spare in my collection of GPS units! :unsure:

Does anyone know how to enter lat./long manually into their Garmin V?

Also can you do the same to Mapsource?

Thanks