Stolen Geocoins

carolinadreamer

It would be helpful to know how some of these coins are released. I drill, engrave my name, attach a laminated, grommeted instruction tag with a steel cable. This helps, but is not 100% effective.

I think you have to expect the 20% rule. This means that 20% of your outstanding coins will go missing each year. If you do better, great....

signaljul06tbclargekm2.th.jpg

It would be helpful to know how some of these coins are released. I drill, engrave my name, attach a laminated, grommeted instruction tag with a steel cable. This helps, but is not 100% effective.

I think you have to expect the 20% rule. This means that 20% of your outstanding coins will go missing each year. If you do better, great....

That's an excellent idea, and I like the laminated tag. Snoogans has a TB Longevity Clinic thread over in the TB Forum and I think that a lot of those ideas would be good for geocoins too. Maybe we should have our own pinned "Geocoin Longevity Clinic" thread?

It appears that geocoins travel very well overseas. One of my coins has been touring the UK for over a year. Almost all of my coins released in the US have disappeared and one disappeared in the hands of a police office or so his profile says. I have emailed them numerous times and no response. In one case, some guy told me the bug was in his daughter's drawer and he would release it when he felt like it. Perhaps the key is to send the coins overseas to tour.

Amen to that my friend. I've found some coins in the beginning that I though were beautiful and thought I want them for myself, but the more I thought about it I realized they meant something to someone and that someone wants to see them travel. My motto is get the coins, admire for a day or two, think of a special place you want to see them go and you will have that same feeling of letting that coin venture out into the wild.

moral here: Let them discovere all of the world that we cant. :lol:

Sorry if i come off really pissed. I am just peeved. When you log in my coins it will state that the coin is to travel from cache to cache. I dont now how it is in other states but here in NC you will find a bunch of geocoins in the wild. IF you spend a day caching, chances are you will come across a geocoin. We look at em and admire em and then move em on to the next cache. We go home and enter tracking code and then we get another little pic for our stats page. If every coin is suppose to be stolen by the first person that comes to the cache then what is the purpose of haveing tackable coins?

cute idea here. I found tiny state license plate keychains with personalized names on them at a gas station, and I mean tiny little licenses, and I drilled a whole into the coin and looped that key chain to it. Now it travels all over with my little nephews name plate hanging off the side. :lol:

That's an excellent idea, and I like the laminated tag. Snoogans has a TB Longevity Clinic thread over in the TB Forum and I think that a lot of those ideas would be good for geocoins too. Maybe we should have our own pinned "Geocoin Longevity Clinic" thread?

I have had this problem in the Bangor area here in Maine. Someone is taking coins left and right. I have lost 4 or more out of 10 coins released. I have stopped releasing coins for the time being. I like the idea of the proxy laminated picture of the coin, but like others have said, what fun is that? What really irks me is emailing the people that supposedly have your coin and they never email you back. WTF? People need to understand this game a little better before jumping in and causing havoc by playing ignorant. People need to understand the rules and what is expected. If that is not the case then they are just a low life thief, and I think this is more prevalent than what most of us would like to admit. Who wants to think that their fellow cachers are just thieving scum?

I like take Geocoin out of cache, it reward for work hard. I buy geocoin but no like them, i like free geocoin that i must find. I thank you you for give me geocoins..i give them to little bro and sister in africa, they no see gps, let alone geocoin, they veri happy, they take coin buy sweet.

It's not April 1 yet, is it?

Strange. :lol:

Unfortunately it is not, just read his logs to the caches he found...

He steals coins from caches and if there are no coins in there, then he destroys the caches... :)

I'm with darnjoeSNARG; it's either a joke or someone deliberately out to yank our chains. Interesting that someone with such an apparent lack of facility with English would know enough about English to title itself "Geocoin Trolls". And a burst of apparently violent activity after a year and a half of inactivity (before which whoever it was who was using the "fifafu" account posted like a normal geocacher). I'll be interested to see future posts from the cache owners to see if anything actually happened to the caches -- I'm more liable to believe that "fifafu" logged the cache that way to frighten the owner.

I wonder if "fifafu's" parents know that their kid or kids are playing with their account?

(I highly doubt that an actual thief would be so monumentally stupid as to post something bragging about it here. Especially someone in Singapore. As I understand it, the penalty for thievery is somewhat strict there.)

Well, I wrote them an e-mail through their account, here is the answer, as well as the mail I wrote, It is just ridiculous... :) :

----- Original Message ----- From: "Geocaching" <noreply@geocaching.com>

To: <@hotmail.com>

Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 9:02 PM

Subject: [GEO] Tschakko contacting fifafu from Geocaching.com

Hello,

I just read u collect the coins u find in caches.

Please note that such a habit is considered stealing, as activated coins are supposed to travvel the world and be place in another cache soon after you found it.

The coins beong to the people who bought them. If you want to collect geocoins you will have to buy them on your own.

Please do not keep a coin that does not belong to you.

Happy Caching

Tschakko

von @hotmail.com>

an Tschakko

Datum 5. Januar 2009 17:02

Betreff Re: [GEO] Tschakko contacting fifafu from Geocaching.com

Gesendet von hotmail.com

I like take geocoin, you put thing in public place, it is rubbish, cleaner see, cleaner throw away, at least, I take, I keep. I am happy .

von @hotmail.com>

an Tschakko

Datum 5. Januar 2009 17:06

Betreff Re: [GEO] Tschakko contacting fifafu from Geocaching.com

Gesendet von hotmail.com

It is no stealing, there no stealing if thing placed in public place, cleaner see, cleaner throw, at least, I take, i keep, no throw out..

i now need 3 coins to close book....you got suggestion the cache to go to where I take 3 coin at 1 go?

you all goody 2 shoes geocachers..you all go nature reserve find geocache, go drink bottle water, no throw in bin...you smoke ciggarette, go throw trail. you dirty places, you bash jungle and kill vegetation! i take geocoin for keep and teach you all lesson.

The three TBs and coins I had someone put in a Singapore cache for me disappeared over a month ago, no logged visit, nothing in the log book, no trace at all. A few people hinted me at fifafu's notes and logs so I spent couple of evenings going through all the cache listings and forum messages. Though he clearly doesn't log trackables, only once a TB he says he took is reported missing a few visits later. He claims to have destroyed caches a couple of times but they appear intact afterwards and at least one log is entirely fake. So far no cache has gone missing after he logged a visit. Don't know what to make of his extremely poor (and recently, abusive) English, all SG kids learn proper English at a young age; he does use local slang here and there. If he's not a SG national he should be twice as careful, authorities don't take theft lightly even if it is associated with a game they may not be particularly fond of.

So in all he's most likely just a pitiful character desparate for attention. I better keep this msg short... :) Guess it's wise not to bring any TBs to Singapore for a while, perhaps even save a few by taking them elsewhere...

70???

That is atrocious! I have just started dropping coins. Two were picked up in early Feb. and have not been dropped. Someone came through my hometown yesterday and cleaned out the caches of trackables. They did not leave trackables behind and have not logged their retrievals. I'm worried about my coins. I know, I know.. don't leave anything that can't afford to lose. I have faith that people will do the right thing. I guess they don't do the right thing though, do they?

70???

That is atrocious! I have just started dropping coins. Two were picked up in early Feb. and have not been dropped. Someone came through my hometown yesterday and cleaned out the caches of trackables. They did not leave trackables behind and have not logged their retrievals. I'm worried about my coins. I know, I know.. don't leave anything that can't afford to lose. I have faith that people will do the right thing. I guess they don't do the right thing though, do they?

i have 4 travelers, 3 coins 1 tb, 2 coins are still moving,, 1 shows in a cache but its not there, and someone took sylvester off my tb tag and just left the tag , just 2 days ago. :):ph34r: needless to say i wont be sending any more coins out,, but will send some tbs instead.

70 is about $700 worth, i dunno how you have the gut to let any more go. the theft is getting outragious. and im seeing alot of newbies accuse us collectors of theft , so they must think its ok to start a stolen collection with our coins.

that fifafu guy needs a good lesson as he admits to theft, shows how many coins he's stolen(around 30 ) and what can we do?? dosent seem right that gc.com allows this shmuck a profile. so he pays to steal?? and gets away with it?

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

that fifafu guy needs a good lesson as he admits to theft, shows how many coins he's stolen(around 30 ) and what can we do?? dosent seem right that gc.com allows this shmuck a profile. so he pays to steal?? and gets away with it?

I agree. When a person is so blatant about his taking coins to keep, his account should be terminated.

i have 11 coins who are lost for sure. :huh:

I have 4 coins where i hope they will pop up sometime :blink:

Just found out a coin who was traveling almost 3 year is muggeld from a cache. :(

i am sad :(

Sad because why does people that, keeping coins , broke caches. :(

By my is a cache who was screwdrive at a tree, replaced at a other place. :blink:

Is this a new game, teasing geocachers. :blink:

Bit i will go on setting coins free, nobody takes my pleasure from reading the logs and getting photos away. ;)

So Duh

70???

Yep 70 was a rough guess cause I included some that are already placed in graveyard caches long ago (cause I know they're gone for good). It's pretty bad. So bad in fact that I use an archived cache of mine to house them hoping that some will someday pop back up on the radar. Some do come back after a year or two hiatus.

I try to keep the cache regularly updated, you can view the current inventory here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1d-dfdf0141ac89 Though I am due now to add some more to the inventory.

And people here wonder why I sell extras I purchase on eBay. Now you know part of what that selling funds.

The only two of all of these that really bother me are Fruitcakes (my second TB placed) and Breast Cancer Pink Ribbon engraved with my aunts name (she died in January). I've pleaded with these cachers numerous times in email and both still have the travellers in their possession. They're just too inconsiderate to put them back into any cache for me.

I have only lost a couple so far and am greatful at the honesty of some cachers I had a guy email me to tell me a coin was stolen from his car along with his cache bag. Perhaps I have not released enough yet to understand the discouragment that some of you have. I have lost someone elses coin at an event and replaced it. Small things get lost easy. I found a coin in the woods once on the way to a cache. I am not sure how you would figure lost to theft verses negligence but I figure both probably exist.

I just wish that a cache owner would keep track of their logs and after a few "no trackables found" logs go and check for themselves then remove the trackable from the inventory....

by checking my stats you can obviously see that I just hunt for caches that are in my path... But I also pay special attention to one that have trackables in them. I personally like seeing trackables and take joy into moving them along to their goal.

But nothing aggravates me more than to find a "stuck" trackable. and go out of my way 4-5 (bird's eye view) miles to help a trackable thats been stuck for a month or so, only to find that it is no longer there. I have even went as far as to contact the cache owner and of course nothing is done about it and they never reply back.

I have had 2 caches go missing in the past 3 days. Both caches were on private property owned by my family. The caches had trackables in them. In one cache, there were two laminated card geocoin substitutes. I don't care for these cards but now that I have lost several personal coins, I am beginning to see their value.

I am thinking of making some up for my coins and attaching several (3) of the cards to a key ring to set free. I'll call it a traveling geocoin ring or something. I win because I don't lose my coins. Cachers win because they get 3 codes instead of one.

Does anyone have a document program for formatting the coin cards?

For two years now this geocoin is being held hostage :D

I'am sure about that because the "keeper" hasn't move here cache butt since anymore!

But she's still looking on her profile,

So who nows ID1SCOTT or her new account? I'am like a pitbull about this geocoin, because I don't accept her answer: I dropped your coin and forget my administration. Yeah right..and after that she stopped geocaching ;) Disappointing people............

Edit: and another coin is in her hands

Edited by Team Professor X

i have 11 coins who are lost for sure. :D

I have 4 coins where i hope they will pop up sometime :huh:

Just found out a coin who was traveling almost 3 year is muggeld from a cache. :D

i am sad :D

Sad because why does people that, keeping coins , broke caches. :(

By my is a cache who was screwdrive at a tree, replaced at a other place. :D

Is this a new game, teasing geocachers. :laughing:

Bit i will go on setting coins free, nobody takes my pleasure from reading the logs and getting photos away. ;)

So Duh

edit : this coin was my second coin i set free , so 3 year is 2 years :D

I was confused with the date is started geocaching.

i set free my first coin after a year geocaching. :D

Oh.. I undrstand you!

I have lost about 5 coins at least! 3 were coming to me so I could adopted them, (that was the mission), so they were not totaly mine but... and the others were mine and coming to me!

I lost them and never even had the chance to see them from close!

One coin was taken from a new "cacher", who only found 2 caches, only took my coin and then he disapeared!!!

He was registered on November 29th and he hasn't enter in geocachng.com from December 3rd!!

the coin looks like it is in the cache, but his log says he took it! I communicated with the last one who found the cache and the coin is not there! I sended him an email, a polite one but nothing! What else to do??

He was only registered to stole my coin?? Was this coin so rare and expensive to do all that???

I haven't turned the coin into unknown posision and write STOLEN yet, but I am really thinking of it!

I wouldn't like to find fake coins instead of the real ones in caches, but I am starting thinking to do it in my travellers too!

From the 5 coins, the 4 were stolen in a period of a month! :laughing:

ok it's good friday but i feel like a MOAN tonight blue mood shading to black. Can't recall exactly how many we have lost - less than half. but the one we lost that hurt was the pink balloon racer - I let it go when i was starry eyed and trusting because it was my favourite coin and rare as a traveller and we shared the set with a friend who missed out on the orders. Think hers is still travelling.

hint south australia is TOPS - NSW sucks. Anyway we lost it just before we could have picked it up at christmas at the end of the race- missed it by a whisker.

Actually i think any urban area sucks - there are too many coins missing from Tassie lately - one from just down the road :laughing:

Roll on Sunday and chocolate - maybe I'll get high on easter eggs and go release a coin!

I have lost so many coins I cant tell. Most get lost in New England,where someone is on a big spree! Not to say they dont go missing from anywhere ,as I think i have one missing in every state. The worst part for me is when I give a coin to event and the event holder keeps it and give out a different coin. My flip phone and the pirate maps go missing before Iam home to log.... How is this I took a bowling ball {10 pin) and drilled it using chain and lock...it weights alot.. not sure but getting ready to mark missing.The 10 pin went missing first cache.. The world is a funny place..

just venting:

my caching partner benderbrodriquez put out his first geocoin which has already been taken out of the cache he placed it in. the cacher who took it thought it was a collectible coin for him to keep (he didn't see the code on the side of the coin). when we emailed him, he said he didn't know and would put it out right away. it's been a month and we are still waiting. i have recently purchased many new geocoins and other trackables which i may or may not send out. for my favorite coins i am working on making some good looking proxies, which i hope others will enjoy cause i'm spending a lot of time on them. i figure if my coins are going to end up gathering dust in someone's collection, it might as well be my collection! too many coin thieves in this area. :unsure:

thanks for letting me vent

I have a question. I placed a coin in a cache and it went missing. Only three people have logged the cache. Is it appropriate for me to contact then via there geocaching email and politely ask if they have "seen" it? It was activated with a mission.

Ann

I've done that from time to time. Just be prepared to hear that they don't remember, especially if they are prolific cachers.

Sometimes people just forget to log their trackables, so an email can be a reminder to do so. Just be polite. I find most cachers are very generous and try to help others when they can.

I have also noticed a lot of missing geocoins here in my area. I am somewhat new to this, but over the last 40 caches that said there were geocoins in them I have found NO coins, but a photo copy of the coin with handwritten tracking number wrote on the piece of paper. Seems sortof odd to me that there is no actual geocoin, but only a photo of the actual coin. I wonder if someone is stealing the coins around here and placing a piece of paper for everyone to track????

An other lost coin! 2 days after the coin went to a new cache, the whole cache was stollen!!! I do not even know how many of my racer coins for bike awareness are out there!

In one guy who took one of my coins (not a racer ths time), I sended him an email a month ago but there was no answer! He was registered, he found 2 caches, he took my coin only and he dissappeared! :rolleyes:

Today I wrote that this coin is stollen! I do not know what else to do!!!

Coins that I didn't even had the chance to see them from close, even if they were mine, are gone! :anicute:

I think I will start sending out cardboard copies of my coins! I know that this will be bad for the good cachers, but I really hope they will understand!!! I was one of them who didn't like copies, but now.... ;)

I read what GL08JK posted.... so some bad cachers (I do not know if we can call them cachers!) are changing the coins into copies too??? JESUS!!!!! ;)

I haven't seen a copy coin yet, but I believe that if it is a cardboard made copy, it will have the photo of the coin the tracking number... everything, right???

EScout, what's the red tag?

Good idea Jackalgirl

Synchronicity as I discovered late yesterday my coin was not in my cache, and I came home from work today to see this thread at the top. It was the 1st traveler I have sent out and was a gift from a Mission here on the forum. I placed it May 2, and already it's disappeared by May 10. It never got to travel to even one other cache; no one logged it as retrieved. I emailed all to who went to my cache since I placed it, all who've answered say they don't remember seeing it. Still haven't heard from 2 cachers. I know coins were being STOLEN, but it seems it's really a problem.

Edited by nefesh

I read what GL08JK posted.... so some bad cachers (I do not know if we can call them cachers!) are changing the coins into copies too??? JESUS!!!!! :rolleyes:

I haven't seen a copy coin yet, but I believe that if it is a cardboard made copy, it will have the photo of the coin the tracking number... everything, right???

The ones that I have been encountering looks like they scanned a digital image of the coin on plain white paper, then handwriting the tracking number on the paper, cutting the image out and putting it in the plastic coin holder. I really enjoy the seeing trackable geocoins when found, but really makes me not want to buy any and send them out to only be stolen.

It appears that geocoins travel very well overseas. One of my coins has been touring the UK for over a year. Almost all of my coins released in the US have disappeared and one disappeared in the hands of a police office or so his profile says. I have emailed them numerous times and no response. In one case, some guy told me the bug was in his daughter's drawer and he would release it when he felt like it. Perhaps the key is to send the coins overseas to tour.

Almost all of the ones we have overseas are still circulating. We hear from our Big Screw coin very often. There's not as good a record here in the good ol' US.

Do you laminate and insert the grommet yourself? Where would one get grommets? How do you secure the wire?

Edited by nefesh

Synchronicity as I discovered late yesterday my coin was not in my cache, and I came home from work today to see this thread at the top. It was the 1st traveler I have sent out and was a gift from a Mission here on the forum. I placed it May 2, and already it's disappeared by May 10. It never got to travel to even one other cache; no one logged it as retrieved. I emailed all to who went to my cache since I placed it, all who've answered say they don't remember seeing it. Still haven't heard from 2 cachers. I know coins were being STOLEN, but it seems it's really a problem.

I'm happy to say the cacher who retrieved my coin just contacted me and said he'd drop it in a cache soon; and he did. Safe for now. I'm just getting ready to have a coin dropped in Norway for me, my 2nd traveler. It has a LONG trip across the Atlantic to some very northern locations and finally home to California! I added a Geocoin Assistant, thanks to EScouts post.

See TB # ACYTVK. My one and only geocoin. I know it has been less than 2 months but do you think this one will move?

I keep updating the coin mission and description hoping the kidnapper will see it and release the coin.

I am afraid to send a direct e-mail asking for the coin to be released after seenig a post in another thread where the kidnappers cut the coin in half and released it.

I just released my 1st traveler May2. By May 10 it was missing. I emailed all the cachers who visited after I dropped my coin. They all replied. It took a week for the last reply, but that cacher did have it and said he'd drop it in a cache soon. later that day i received a log at it's new cache.

I have also noticed a lot of missing geocoins here in my area. I am somewhat new to this, but over the last 40 caches that said there were geocoins in them I have found NO coins, but a photo copy of the coin with handwritten tracking number wrote on the piece of paper. Seems sortof odd to me that there is no actual geocoin, but only a photo of the actual coin. I wonder if someone is stealing the coins around here and placing a piece of paper for everyone to track????

:) I have noticed the same in my area in at least two caches: 1 geocoin dissapeared more than a year ago and the cache info was still showing a "trackable". I did not pay much attention until I recently dropped a geocoin in a cache that just vanished between my last visit and the next geocacher. We got back just to check after this more experienced geocacher failled to fing the cache and we were unable to spot the cache again :rolleyes: . Even if the cache spot is often invested with lot's of mini-muggles, the cache was 7-8 feet from the ground. I wonder if we have a "geocoin evil collector" in our area... Maybe the coin should be labelled as "missing item". I still hope that this nice geocoin will eventually return on the radar (it's on our watch list).

Patpolar :laughing:

Almost all of the ones we have overseas are still circulating. We hear from our Big Screw coin very often. There's not as good a record here in the good ol' US.

This post motivated me to release coins overseas. I had 1 dropped in Norway and 1 soon to be dropped in Ireland. However, in Norway a cacher registered as a member for only one day retrieved my coin and said he gave it to another cacher. This cacher has not logged that he is in possession of my coin. Maybe overseas isn't safer?! :)

This post motivated me to release coins overseas. I had 1 dropped in Norway and 1 soon to be dropped in Ireland. However, in Norway a cacher registered as a member for only one day retrieved my coin and said he gave it to another cacher. This cacher has not logged that he is in possession of my coin. Maybe overseas isn't safer?! :mad:

Norway is not really considered a country where coins go missing very often.

Maybe this is just a stroke of bad luck.

I am sorry for you anyway

My son's first coin Cache Gods only visited 2 caches before going off radar ;) He's no longer interested in caching...

You might explain to your son that geocaching and coin collecting are two different things. Trackable items are a game within a game, and one should not keep you from enjoying the other. There's nothing like a hike with the family with a picnic in the pack, maybe with the dog alongside, to make wonderful memories. Our shiny trinkets shouldn't dissuade him from enjoying the great outdoors and spending quality time with his Dad.

;) A Bit disheartening, It reminds me of a prison chain gang, that I'm looking at through barred windows and doors. Unfortunately these measures need to taken, but I have several great ideas to help ensure[a lil bit anyhow] that my next TB and coin may be safe. TY All