eXplorist 600 or GPSMAP 60CX Which One to Buy?

:blink:

Hello all!!! Well after much reading and research I have finally narrowed it down to one of these 2 units... The Magellon eXplorist 600 or the Garmin GPSMSP 60 CX. All feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated also with your suggestion I would also aappredcate which mapping sftware to additionally purchase. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get started!!!!

Edited by GreyPurrson

First thing I would reconsider is that the GPSMAP 60CX lacks the compass and barometric altimeter contained in the explorist 600. I think you want to compare against the GPSMAP 60CSX which does have these important features.

Frankly, I've been doing this same research and I am really interested in some real world experience with both of these units from forum users.

Thanks for starting this topic! :blink:

From a hardware standpoint, both units work about the same and they are both quality units. The big difference is that Garmin's software, customer service and dealer network wins hands down. Garmin is a much more stable and progressive company. They have far more software and accessories available. Magellan has changed hands a few times and they seem a bit risky at this point.

From a hardware standpoint, both units work about the same and they are both quality units. The big difference is that Garmin's software, customer service and dealer network wins hands down. Garmin is a much more stable and progressive company. They have far more software and accessories available. Magellan has changed hands a few times and they seem a bit risky at this point.

Thanks for your input...Also from some of the reading I have been doing Garmin is supposed to soon support Macintosh users, one of which I am...

Thanks again

Also from some of the reading I have been doing Garmin is supposed to soon support Macintosh users, one of which I am...

I've been hearing that for quite some time, without seeing any actual software come out of the Garmin labs :laughing:

I was just given an eXplorist 600 by my wife as a replacement for our Meridian Gold that's going south, so I can't give you any helpful feedback beyond "I found one cache with it, and it worked fine" and "I took the 600, Meridian Gold and our Garmin iQue (what can I say, we own a lot of GPSr :anitongue: ) out to hide a cache and, under tree cover, all three gave pretty much the same readings." It's a notch above the old Gold, and I have more faith in its battery life, durability and reception than I do for the iQue.

I've got 30 days to decide whether I want to keep this, so I'll be putting it through its paces.

As far as using it with my Mac, I downloaded Bootcamp, bought a copy of XP, and now I can connect up to it.

One advantage to the Explorist 600 over the Garmin is the ability to store several sets of maps on the SD card as well as several sets of geocache and POI coordinates.

As has been stated, the Explorist does have a Magnetic triaxial compass Garmis does offer a magnetic compass in the 60CXS but it is not a triaxial compass. This means with the magellan you do not have to hold the gps level for the compass to be accurate, with the Garmin, if the gps is not level the compass will not be accurate. For my taste a magnetic compass in a GPS is not all the usefull for geocaching. I have used a Magellan with the magnetic compass and I really saw not advantage to having one built into a GPS.

Very few people have both the eXplorist 500 or 600 and the Garmin 60Cx/s. I have had the 500 since they were introduced last year, and have only played with the 60Cx a short time. The Garmin has great screens, that give you losts of information in nice formats. The 500/600 gives you simpler screens, but has a file format structure/USB interface that is best of any GPSr. Those of us that have them and use this feature to create/save/transfer waypoint/geocache/track/route files, would not go back to any other GPSr.

Both of them have very good receivers. The 500/600 use a Li-ion batery that charges like your phone and PDA (using USB, cig lighter, AC.) Replacement batteries are about $10 and most like this feature a lot.

Since all information is transferred to and from the eXplorists in files, you only need to create a file and save it in the GPSr's internal memory or SD card. You can do this now with Macintosh using the program: GPSBabel

I can not speak for or against the Magellan, however I am very happy with my 60CSx. Even though I have a problem with the compass and need to send it in. All of a sudden the "Hold Level" stays on all the time. My old Vista saved the day last Sat. when the 60 stopped. I do wish I could carge the batts in mine. Of everything mentiond, thats the one I wish I had.

PP