need a gps comparison

JJAult

REI's website has several useful pages of information.

Offroute.com's website has a nice table that compares about twenty models side by side in more than twenty categories.

We bought a refurbished Magellan SporTrak Map two years ago off EBay and have been very happy with it. Looking for refurbished models lets you get "more" GPS for your money.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Well you're talking several different price points. The GO is under $80, the Legend around $120 and the 210 around $160.

The 201 is the best of that bunch. The GO won't hook up to the PC so you can dowload waypoints and maps, so I would write that off. The Legend is a fine unit, very popular, but the 210 has newer technology and more memory, so its a better unit.

Two more to throw in the mix for you to consider. The Lowrance iFinder H20, which is around $135 (or $210 for the H20 Plus package with mapping software, memory card and card reader thrown in) and the Garmin Venture CX which has expandible memory, color display and supports autorouting. With the $50 rebate from Garmin you can find the Venture CX for around $150 if you shop around. Thats only a bit more than the Legend and you get a LOT more GPS.

I gave my daughter and son-in-law a Magellen 210 . It really is nice. It picks up satellites in thier house as good as my 60csx. But it did take some time to get way points to down load right. Now they even can load cache's with the treasure chest icon. We even found a leather phone case at a dollar store that fit fairly well. Only had to puch a hole in the clear front for the joy stick. The 210 can be found for under $200 with case, USB and 12volt cables and a topo CD. For the money I feel it is best in that price range.

A grandson has a Lowrance GO. It works OK. But, is slow getting and up dating satellites, and doesn't easly conectect to a computer. It does come with the best preloaded maps that I have seen. I have had no experience with any other Lowrance's.

Thanks for the info. Have any of you had experience with either Garmin or Magellen customer service?

I ended up purchasing the Legend bundle for $229+tax at Dick's Sporting Goods. They had the Magellen 210 for $149. Maybe I should switch?

Help!

I've had nothing but outstanding experiences with Garmin's customer support, including out of warranty repairs made free (and fast). Magellan has a rep for abysmal customer support. Thread after thread of complaints here in the GPS Units and Software forum.

Overall, the 210 is a better unit than the Legend. Its newer and has more map memory, but you got a decent deal with the bundle at Dicks, assuming you got Mapsource Topo with it and the auto adaptor. Adding similar accessories to the 210 will probably bring the price up to at least $260.

The Legend is a good unit and will do the job well. Just remember that it's sensitive to positioning and needs to be held flat, face up to the sky for best reception.

Sounds like I will keep what I purchased.

It includes:

Legend

car adapter

case

Mapsource Topo

car mount thingie :blink:

info dvd

What type of cord will I need to convert it to my USB port? Can I buy one "locally"? (Circuit city, WalMart, etc.)

What type of cord will I need to convert it to my USB port? Can I buy one "locally"? (Circuit city, WalMart, etc.)

Wal-mart won't have it. You will find it at an actual computer store-with actual geeks working there-or no one will have any idea what you are talking about. I had to get one, as well. It's called a USB Serial Port Adaptor. It costs about $25-$35 and will need to come with a CD for the drivers. Weird, that a cable needs drivers. But anyway, I got mine, and after changing a couple of minor settings on GSAK, it works like a champ.