Garmin MapSource for Mac Watch Thread

aka Monkey

I get tired of frequently checking Garmin's website looking for the Mac OS X version of MapSource. I thought I might go ahead and start this thread and subscribe to it, and others can do the same. That way, when Garmin finally releases MapSource for OS X if someone replies to this thread with the news, everyone can be notified at once.

Or just throw the RSS feed at http://www.garmin.com/rss/software.jsp in your favorite RSS reader and know within a few minutes of when they release it. If you watch even a couple of Garmin products (firmware for a model or two, Nroute, Mapsource, City Select, etc.) you'll probably find this worthwhile.

Unfortunately, the RSS page doesn't seem to list any of the MapSource products, only the individual units, so I don't think it will work.

Has any of you tried anything like running Mapsource inside VirtualPC or any other sort of windows emulation software?

I use Windows 98 in Virtual PC 3.0 on my old iBook (which still boots in Mac OS 9.2). MapSource runs OK and my 60CSx communicates fine via USB. Other programs (GPS Trackmaker, Mapdekode and GPSUtility, for instance) also work OK. I have even started making my own map and have successfully transferred it to the GPSr.

The only problem I have with MapSource on this setup is that I can't update it: when I run the updater I get the message: "Previous MapSource installation not found. Setup will terminate". Garmin Techsupport was totally unhelpful: after weeks of waiting I finally got this reply:

We are very interested in helping all current and potential GARMIN

customers, but due to resource limitations and protection of proprietary

information, we cannot assist in a Macintosh interface at this time.

So sucks to Garmin Techsupport, but the Virtual PC setup is certainly worth trying.

I looked into this before buying a program to run on my Mac. I don't recall the specific details, but it seems to me that I read that earlier versions of VPC could be used. I run VPC 7, and determined from the reading I had done that I could not use VPC 7 and USB to run Mapsource and actually have it connect to my 60C. However, I have not actually tried to do it. From the limited use I've given VPC, it does seem finicky about USB stuff.

I use "Paralells" on my Macbook. It works fine with Mapsourse, The biggest problem is I can only have one USB connection and that has to go to my 60 csx or it wont see the gpsr. I download updates on the MAC side to a shared folder then open up Windoze, go to the shared folder, and do the updates. Works for me untill Garmin comes up with something better.

I tried MapSource v8 with Virtual PC 7 with all the latest updates. I could not get the software to see my 60CSx via USB. I loaded the software fine, but could never get it to connect. I have used other software using the USB ports in VPC before, but the Garmin didn't want to talk.

Does anyone have a new Intel Mac and tried running Windoz natively?

I tried MapSource v8 with Virtual PC 7 with all the latest updates. I could not get the software to see my 60CSx via USB. I loaded the software fine, but could never get it to connect. I have used other software using the USB ports in VPC before, but the Garmin didn't want to talk.

Does anyone have a new Intel Mac and tried running Windoz natively?

Yes, I have a MacBook and a 60Cx. I have XP Pro installed on a partition of the MacBook by using Apple's free BootCamp utility. It works flawlessly and I have updated the 60's firmware and have Garmin's maps installed on the Windows partition.

I sure wish Garmin would make their Mac software available, but until that time this setup works fine.

Barrikady

Well Garmin has come through!!!!!!!!!! :D

Check out the Garmin blog for these links to the two programs needed to load Garmin Mapsource maps.

This link is for the PC program to convert your maps to a format for use in Mac

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3706

THEN

Load this program on the Mac to use the maps MapInstall:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3702

It may be helpful to read this Blog page to help:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/applemac/index.html

Edited by R-Men

I don't want to convert from windoze to My Mac. I don't have windoze. Let me know when Garmin says Mac they mean Mac. Not some silly windoze convert. I dunno, I almost feel insulted after all these next quarter, next quarter, next quarter promises from Garmin. I just bought NG TOPO! because I got tired of waiting

/Rant

Has anyone else had trouble getting the new City Navigator v9 update CD ... the one that's supposedly Mac compatible? I tried entering in my serial from my 60CSx, and it says no updates available. I also tried my CN v8 serial, still no joy :D

Garmin's website is most unhelpful :D

There was an issue with the update servers. I tried a lil while later and it worked.

Call the toll free Techsupport # on the site..

I don't want to convert from windoze to My Mac. I don't have windoze. Let me know when Garmin says Mac they mean Mac. Not some silly windoze convert. I dunno, I almost feel insulted after all these next quarter, next quarter, next quarter promises from Garmin. I just bought NG TOPO! because I got tired of waiting

/Rant

Whats NG topo???

/Rant

Whats NG topo???

National Geographic Topo: http://tinyurl.com/2tp9bq

I use mapsource via parallels (windows XP) on my macbook (with etrex legend csx) and it works flawlessly. The only bad thing is I only gave my Windows XP partion 10GB which isn't enough to load up all my maps so I have to swap map discs.

Hopefully this is the year garmin finally makes due on its promise for a OS X version.