Caching Card Etiquette?

KiwiHopeful

I've been thinking of something like a card, but not exactly that. Staples and Office Depot sell return address stamps. They are self inking and you can get whatever you want put on them. We have one with our home address. I have been thinking of getting one small enough to do micro logs and still use it on regular caches. Good idea or no? I had thought of cards as well, but professionally done cards are not cheap and the ones that you can print off of your computer leave much to be desired. Again, thoughts?

I've never seen a card stapled or otherwise attached to a cache logbook. I can't imagine carrying a stapler around in my geopack.

Some people collect these cards so I presume the card you saw stapled was to prevent it from being removed from the container or they did this in lieu of signing the logbook. Bad idea but I don't imagine it's done by more than three people in the entire country.

Just slip it in the logbook, or the logbook bag. I know it annoys me when people staple them in my logbooks.

Personally I never saw the point of them. I think the signature in the logbook is enough. I don't mind cool signature items, but I think the cards are lameo. I just gather them and toss them when I do a maint run.

Okay ... but now I'm a bit more confused. How do people generally log their finds in the log book? In every single cache I've found--except of course for the micros--people take an entire page in the log book, and most don't write on the back. Is this common practice, or is it just what people in this area do?

Or, perhaps more to the point, is anything more than a date and name 'required' for the log book?

Okay ... but now I'm a bit more confused. How do people generally log their finds in the log book? In every single cache I've found--except of course for the micros--people take an entire page in the log book, and most don't write on the back. Is this common practice, or is it just what people in this area do?

Or, perhaps more to the point, is anything more than a date and name 'required' for the log book?

I usually just sign my name and the date on one line. It's rare that I write much else, unless if I take or leave a travelbug, or something amazing needs to be noted. My online logs will contain any other details. Sometimes I do like reading long logs left by others, by I'm less wordy out in the field.

Nothing more then name and date is required but there are those of us out here that enjoy reading about other people's experiences in the log book. My wife and I like to take the time to read through the entire log book to get a glimpse of the cache's history. It is a nice snap shot of what was going on at the time the cachers found the cache. I am very disappointed that more and more people and signing name and date TNLN TFTC etc, so please take some time to share your experience for others to enjoy.

Sometimes people waste too much of the log book by not sharing a page with someone else's log. We will take up as little space as needed to share our experience, however, we typically take a half page to two pages if there is enough to say about the experience. As for how people use log books: if the log book opens like a regular book (side bound which I prefer) it is easy to use both front and back of pages. If the log pages flip up (top bound) it is easier to use the front of the pages until they are full then flip the log book over and start using the blank pages back to front. Many times I have seen online logs that say the log book is full when it is only half full.

As for the signature cards, I don't think they should be used in place of signing the log book and I don't think I would like them stapled into one of my log books. I have seen on the forums that there are people that collect them but most that are left around here just sit in the caches so I will remove the "business cards" when I do a maintenance run. I have seen some examples on the forum of some really nice cards that are laminated and have some really interesting information on them. If you put some time into designing a card that is interesting they may be more likely to be collected. If you don''t laminate them at least use waterproof paper so that they will not become a part of a wet wadded glob in the bottom of a cache. Take pride to make something that you are proud of and others will appreciate it as well.

GEO.JOE

Take pride to make something that you are proud of and others will appreciate it as well.

GEO.JOE

Sorry I edited your quote, IMMHO it was the best one so far as I've seen. As a cacher, I like reading about other's experiences when hunting for a particular cache as well, especially if it was a dickens to obtain. I get somewhat of a "let down" when I see just a name, date and TNLNSL TFTC. I'm not saying that I've never done that myself, but I *can* say that most of the times I have done that...they were either micros, or caches located in a highly public area in which I wanted to cache and dash before being discovered.

I've seen business cards in some of them, and I've seen some geocacher cards in others but I don't remember coming across any that were stapled. I like the idea of using a custom made stamp. It's not bulking up the log book and it's not going to be thrown away during regular maintenence.

If you use a card just slip it in the logbook or the logbook bag. It annoys me when people staple them in logbooks. I don't really see the point of them as the signature in the logbook is enough. I generally remove them when I do a maintenance check. Hate to open a log bag and a dozen cards fall out even if you are careful.

I like cute signature items, but I think the cards are a lame idea. Cute is subjective I know. I often leave silver dollars or trade dollars, even large foreign coins with my Geocaching name stamped on them in small letters.

Return address type labels seem to be more popular than cards and get stuck in logs, on baggies, on containers or even swag, so so idea in my opinion if you already sign the log.

Usually just sign my name and the date on one/two lines depending on size of log. It's rare that I write much else unless something amazing has happened that should be noted. My online logs will contain anything I wish to say and I generally like to say something. Sometimes I do read logs left by others but I generally read them on line and not in the field

Caching cards are geojunk and another attempt to be "unique, like everyone else." Most of them are poorly designed and printed on an inkjet printer which does not render waterproof results.

Best advice: Don't do it.

*sigh* You don't like them, so they are all junk? Nice.

OP, ignore ADKCache. I make my cards by color laser printing them, then laminating them. This works VERY well, and gives rather professional results, for not a whole lot of money. They are almost the quality of older drivers licenses. I choose to laser print on both sides of light cardstock, so they are pretty sturdy. I designed them using GIMP for graphics editing and DesignPro from Avery Dennison to fit them into the business card 'size'. Both software products are free downloads. Once I have my design complete, I just go to my local copy shop (not a big box chain like Kinkos), and use their color laser printer and their laminating machine - they have plastic sleeves that are the perfect size. I think I spend maybe $3 for every 10 cards. (50 cents for double sided color laser printing, 10 cents for the paper they have, and couple of dollars for the 10 cards per page I get) - I forget the actual prices.

It takes a little time, but it makes for a great card that can double as a sig item. I used to make ones I stapled into the logboook, but I abandoned that practice as I felt that I should be writing in the book rather than just punching and running.

So, make some cards, please laminate them and if I ever find one in a cache, I would love to trade out of the cache for it! Any signature item is worth a dozen broken McToys.

Caching cards are geojunk and another attempt to be "unique, like everyone else." Most of them are poorly designed and printed on an inkjet printer which does not render waterproof results.

*sigh* You don't like them, so they are all junk? Nice.

OP, ignore ADKCache. I make my cards by color laser printing them, then laminating them. This works VERY well, and gives rather professional results, for not a whole lot of money. They are almost the quality of older drivers licenses. I choose to laser print on both sides of light cardstock, so they are pretty sturdy. I designed them using GIMP for graphics editing and DesignPro from Avery Dennison to fit them into the business card 'size'. Both software products are free downloads. Once I have my design complete, I just go to my local copy shop (not a big box chain like Kinkos), and use their color laser printer and their laminating machine - they have plastic sleeves that are the perfect size. I think I spend maybe $3 for every 10 cards. (50 cents for double sided color laser printing, 10 cents for the paper they have, and couple of dollars for the 10 cards per page I get) - I forget the actual prices.

It takes a little time, but it makes for a great card that can double as a sig item. I used to make ones I stapled into the logboook, but I abandoned that practice as I felt that I should be writing in the book rather than just punching and running.

So, make some cards, please laminate them and if I ever find one in a cache, I would love to trade out of the cache for it! Any signature item is worth a dozen broken McToys.

Hey, that's my opinion. Isn't that why we're all here, to share our opinions? I can laminate a dead snail too, that doesn't mean that it looks professional or that it's something we'd all love to find in a cache.

Nonsense! I travel alot and I enjoy finding the cards, which I consider collectible as signature items, even when they are not in "pristine" condition. In all honesty, I usually stuff them down my cleavage, and they look worse when I get back to the car than when I found them, but that's ok! I always take all the cards that are in a cache, and I keep them in a box in my closet. Hope to find yours in a cache soon!

All I can say is I like to find cards in a cache and I do collect them. I wish more people would use them as Sig. Items, or wooden nickels, or maybe (gasp) even geocoins. But geocoins are expensive so not many of those make it into a cache as Sig. Items, at least not where I'm at anyway.

Whenever I find a cache and leave a card, I always sign the log book and NEVER staple the card to it. I expect, and hope, that someone will come along and want to take my Sig. Card. I wish I could afford to leave something like a geocoin but that just is not in my buget right now and not likely to be in the near future, so I leave the laminated Sig Card.

I would love to find a cache full of Sig cards, but that's just me and I realize not everyone will agree with me on this but that's life.

:)

Even though I'm fairly new to Geocaching, (3 finds) I'm planning a hide here soon. Got some great ideas from one of the threads about containers and already have a great location picked out. One of the things I'm going to put in it is one of those cheap plastic business card holders so folks can leave cards in it. Not everyone can afford to buy geocoins, or have either the ability or the resources to make signature items. Cards are a very inexpensive way to make a signature items without breaking the bank. I'll collect them. I have business cards from all over the place from when I was in the Army.

I can laminate a dead snail too, that doesn't mean that it looks professional or that it's something we'd all love to find in a cache.

You don't laminate a dead snail, goofball, you shrinkwrap it. Lamination is just for flat things, like roadkill squirrels. Sheesh! ;)

Seriously, I love signature items (although I'd probably draw the line at taking home a shrinkwrapped snail), but I'm of two minds on cards. Signature cards specifically printed up with a cacher's handle or team name, I'll cheerfully snag out of a cache, even if they're damp and need to be aired dry. But just somebody's normal business card...? That seems like a lame thing to leave in a cache. Just my opinion, but I think something has to be made just for caching in order to be a real signature item.

*goes back to laminating flattened fauna*

I have a chinese name-stamp that a friend gave me years ago. I started carrying it to stamp letterbox logs with, but have begun using it in any log I sign. Unless you read chinese, it is pretty much meaningless, but it is definitely one-of-a-kind since my chinese name is unique.

I have a chinese name-stamp that a friend gave me years ago. I started carrying it to stamp letterbox logs with, but have begun using it in any log I sign. Unless you read chinese, it is pretty much meaningless, but it is definitely one-of-a-kind since my chinese name is unique.

Yeah, mine too :laughing:

I don't care if people use them, my experience has been that they don't get picked up and tend to mess up the cache. I personally don't grab them, usually they are wet and smeared. If people want to leave them - they might want to consider buying some 3x4 small bags and putting them in those for extra protection from the elements and to keep them nice. I have seen better trade items - like a button I just picked up this weekend that said "I AM THE SEARCH ENGINE". A button making kit at the craft store is not that expensive and you could get really creative with something that people could display on their pack or hat, etc... We used to make our own custom stickers to put in the log book - very tiny so they don't take up much room. We now bought a pen with a stamper built right in and that is really nice and quick! I think your card looks nice, do what cha want, sounds like there are plenty of people out there who also enjoy getting them.

I'm very new to geocaching, but it looks like the idea of leaving business cards in a cache isn't original. Neither is the fact that some people will just trash your ideas for the sake of being mean.

Most of the cache's I've found so far or read about in my area are ammo cans or "tupperware" boxes, size varies, and most are filled with stuff from people's junk drawers, lots of toys and other fluff.

True finds for me aside from interesting locations are unique coins/tb's with some sort of purpose and individuality for the person that first left them. As such I don't see a problem with people making up nice, personal "Cache Cards", laminating them and even getting tracking codes for them and sending them off like all the others. Makes more sense than a ratty beanie baby with dog tags to me, but to each their own.

Laminated business cards take up very little space in a small container, they're weather proof, and they are cheap, personal, trackable, and even collectable if a creative person makes a series of them and sends them out.

I love the idea of coins/medallions/tokens, but face it, the urge to keep and collect them is strong and many are lost because of this.

I would be against using cards as a lazy way of logging your visit, especially when stapled to a logbook, but what's the problem with using them as I've just stated?

I like them and take them for cachers who's cards I don't have. Since I like the cards I don't like them folded, spindled, stapled, mutulated, or soggy. Slipping it into the log book loose works just fine. So does leaving it in the cache.

If I get to the cache before ADKcache that would make two happy people.

There ya go! Has anyone tried "pony expressing" items? Like designating a destination and person to retrieve the item and sending it out? Seems like a great use of cards to me and would be fun to see how long that sort of challenge would take.

I trade signature cards. Mine are laminated as are many of the ones I collect. I find these items much more interesting trade items then McToys. At least the person spent time designing his card. If you haven't tried to make a good card you don't know how much time and thought really goes into one. Ask Renegade Knight. He has been working on his for about 3 years now and hasn't finished the perfect design yet.

:D

I think sig cards are cool. They do not take up much space and if well designed they are fun to collect or find. My kids love to find them. It helps build our geo-community. They say " Oh look TD Lover was here." so I e-mail td lover and tell them my kids were glad to see we had visited the same cache. I liked our card so much I modified it into a wooden nickle. Check out my profile on GC.com and then look out for my sig item in AZ. LOL.

Seriously, this is a game guys. What you do with my card or coin when you find a cache is your business but to call it junk in this forum is just rude even if it is your opinion.

That is my opinion.