to activate or not to activate

horlacher

I just started caching a couple of months ago and love geocoins. I just purchased some for my own personal collection to keep. How many of us activate the coins when you know that they are going to sit on your desk. If you activate them, then you can't give them away at some date if I somehow miracously change my mind. Whats your opinions? Thanks

Jeff

Depends on what you want to do with the coin.

If you want to have it sit on your desk to admire, then it doesn't matter.

If you plan on selling your coin at a later date it will have more value unactivated.

If you want to have it show up in your inventory and let other people "discover" it, then you should activate.

If you want to let it loose in the wild, then you should activate.

You can always transfer ownership of an activated coin, but as far as I can tell you can never "undo" an activation.

I have gotten in the habbit of buying two coins. One I activate and let people 'discover' it, and the other I use for trades or to sell later.

Ditto. I suppose I am still considered a new cacher, but, I have compiled quite a collection of Geocoins and do as Mtn-Man does. I usually buy 2 or more...activate 1 for multiple reasons (sharing, the cool icons and such) then i have 1 more for trading or dropping into caches I set as a FTF treat. :blink:

I have gotten in the habbit of buying two coins. One I activate and let people 'discover' it, and the other I use for trades or to sell later.

Ditto. My main reason for Geocoins is collecting the ones I like and I activate 1. If I really like it then I might buy several, especially if I can get a good deal, and usually hold for sale or trade later. The problem now is that I have a box that weights about "10 tons" under my desk.

Also I usually only log coin finds when I actually move the coin to another cache and very seldom use discover.

:blink:

OK, sounds like I'm not going to activate it. The next question is how long do you have to activate it. I'm assuming that if the website is still around in 15 years, the unactivated coin should still be in the database as unactivated and somebody else can activate it it they recieve it as a gift from me (if they choose to do so). Correct?

Thanks for the inputs guys.