Spring Fling 2007

Shop99er

Spring Fling 2007

will be in Port Orchard, WA

on May 5th.

Mark your calendars, shine up your tiaras, press the hems in your kilts and, seeing how it's also Cinco de Mayo..... get those dingle-bobs fixed on your sombrero.

We'll have the GPS Toss and a Shark Hunt (scavenger hunt) for the kids

The GPS Accuracy Game as well as the Elevation Estimation Game will be going for the kids.

We're also working on a new Spring Fling Flinger Fling game... you'll have to be there to see it in action.

AND

We are trying to get a camp site set up for people who are coming in from out of town and want to camp on the Friday night before the event .... and..... there's a good chance there will be an after hours party at the camp site Saturday night.

Details as we work them out!

The GPS Accuracy Game as well as the Elevation Estimation Game will be going for the kids.

I assume you mean for the adults. Dick

We are trying to get a camp site set up for people who are coming in from out of town and want to camp on the Friday night before the event .... and..... there's a good chance there will be an after hours party at the camp site Saturday night.

That would be great as we could do some setting up Friday Night.

Edited by W7WT

I assume you mean for the adults. Dick

:) Correct. There will be a GPS Toss game for the kids as well as a scavenger hunt.

For the adults there will be the GPS Accuracy Game as well as the Elevation Estimation Game...... although considering how we, as cachers, have been all over the board as far as accuracy goes... I think we could do as well if we all just threw our GPSrs towards ground zero and called it good!

That would be great as we could do some setting up Friday Night.

The camp site will be away from the Eagles facility. There is however, RV parking for people who are members of the Eagles on site in Port Orchard.

We are working to get Manchester State Park's group camp for Friday and Saturday right now. It's still in the planning and financial stages.

I will see if we can do some setting up on the Friday before the event. I don't think it will be a problem with the Eagles but they have requested that we NOT use spray paint lines on their lawn.

When we have things firm on that I'll let the Spring Fling Crew know.

Just bringing this back up to the top as a reminder to mark your calendars.

There is a link on the event listing that takes you to our web site where you can pre-register for your name badges (printed and pretty) as well as games. We really REALLY encourage you to pre-register for games and badges. It saves time at the registration tables.

Remember....

Chocolate Fountain

Great raffle items

GPS Accuracy and Elevation Estimation games for the adults

GPS Toss game for the kids

Spring Fling Flinger Fling (trebuchet) for the adults

Chickin' Chuckin' for the kids

Shark Hunt (scavenger hunt) for the kids

We have plenty of parking and we have a huge venue to get in out of the weather if things turn drippy.

We have plenty of parking and we have a huge venue to get in out of the weather if things turn drippy.

Hmm, maybe the trebuchet could help with the

. Perhaps it could be combined with another shoot-out :blink:

Funny you should mention that, I was considering throwing the shootout event for the Sunday after the Fling. I’m still mulling it over. If anyone has a mull or two on that subject, send me a PM or email.

. Perhaps it could be combined with another shoot-out :D

It's a smaller trebuchet...but we are flinging frogs!!

I understand that Lost One has built his own trebuchet. According to WL, it might actually work. I have no idea how big it is, but I doubt it will be the size of the one on Northern Exposure when the flung the piano.

Funny you should mention that, I was considering throwing the shootout event for the Sunday after the Fling. I’m still mulling it over. If anyone has a mull or two on that subject, send me a PM or email.

Uh....... NO

We'll be busy still camping and breaking down from the post fling flop and wouldn't be able to make it. :D

I understand that Lost One has built his own trebuchet. According to WL, it might actually work. I have no idea how big it is, but I doubt it will be the size of the one on Northern Exposure when the flung the piano.

He does. It does. We're using it at the Fling to fling.

"It's not what's flung...it's the fling itself"

Misguided One has his own Trebuchet that we'll be using. :D

Lost One's is still a work in progress.

davidstreb.jpg

Misguided One has his own Trebuchet that we'll be using. :D

Lost One's is still a work in progress.

davidstreb.jpg

Now aint that cute :D

We need some pics of the real damage doin' flinger!!...please :D

Now aint that cute :anibad:

We need some pics of the real damage doin' flinger!!...please :P

How about a

Flinging Santa was great but when we flung the brick...oh the thud it made was just delicious!

Looked like Mark got a late start on saving Santa ;) A video of the brick would have been cool to see.

Wow, did you see what Garmin is donating! I clicked on that and I see

a beautiful gal in a convertable. I am too old to get much use out of the gal but the convertable might be nice to Geocache in the summer. I am sure going to get involved with the raffle this year. Dick

Wow, did you see what Garmin is donating! I clicked on that and I see

a beautiful gal in a convertable. I am too old to get much use out of the gal but the convertable might be nice to Geocache in the summer. I am sure going to get involved with the raffle this year. Dick

I just clicked the Garmin logo and it goes to their site. Don't know what happened with your click but consider it a special gift for the day. B)

Garmin was a surprise sponsor. I sent out a bunch of letters but never heard from anyone. All of a sudden a box comes in the mail. Now I just need to get the other guys to 'meet or beat' their donation.

We are also starting to get some cachers helping out with sponsorship. We are going to have a lot of coins to raffle off. I believe we are also going to have a quilt made by Pepper going on the raffle table. She thinks she can get one done for us by that time so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Just as well, my wife Arlene wouldn't let me keep her anyway. And a convertable around here isn't all that great. You need either a pickup

or a 4WD. You have done well. Last year, I sent letters to all the major GPS companies requesting award items for the GPS Accuracy Game and never even got back a "Thank you for your letter" response. I am amazed at the response you are getting. Dick

Just in case you haven't visited the registration and information web site on Spring Fling lately here is a list of sponsors for the event.

GC.com

Garmin

GSAK

HogWild Stuff.com

GeoCoins.net

Wolfmaster

SPUD502

The Caching Place

Land Sharkz

Moun10bike

The4Grays

AJetPilot

Ferreter5

FluteFace

1/2 Canadian and Scooter the Wonder Dog

Markta

Nero

Pepper

GeoNickels.com

Box 64

Crake Productions

WorldCaching.com

And that's just so far. I'm working on more.

The images of the coins and other goodies up for raffle are posted at the web site as well.

Dozens.. DOZENS I tell ya!

We've got raffle prizes pouring in every day. Coins, 2 GPSrs, gift bags and possibly a quilt from Pepper if she can get it done in time. Our sponsors have been extra generous to us this year.

To check out what is up for grabs go to this page. Our sponsors (the icons are clickable to their web pages) are at the top and the raffle items are at the bottom.

Knowing Shop99ers, they will want to make an EVENT out of it if they can get enough sponsers.

Well...now that you mention sponsors...I used to deliver caskets for Batesville Casket Company....

And I have the picture to prove it!

4bbdb248-64a4-441a-94bc-90d4759c2505.jpg

I'm not kidding. When I was just out of High School, I deleviered caskets to Mortuaries.

Foo those that are curious, almost all of them required going through the "room", usually with a guest on the table, in order to get the casket where it needed to be placed.

We've got raffle prizes pouring in every day. Coins, 2 GPSrs, gift bags and possibly a quilt from Pepper if she can get it done in time. Our sponsors have been extra generous to us this year.

To check out what is up for grabs go to this page. Our sponsors (the icons are clickable to their web pages) are at the top and the raffle items are at the bottom.

The springish/hawaii99er Pepper quilt will be finished on time. I'll be sending it back to WA via LucyAirExpress! :(

Pepper

Knowing Shop99ers, they will want to make an EVENT out of it if they can get enough sponsers.

Well...now that you mention sponsors...I used to deliver caskets for Batesville Casket Company....

And I have the picture to prove it!

4bbdb248-64a4-441a-94bc-90d4759c2505.jpg

I'm not kidding. When I was just out of High School, I deleviered caskets to Mortuaries.

Foo those that are curious, almost all of them required going through the "room", usually with a guest on the table, in order to get the casket where it needed to be placed.

That thing looks familiar for some reason :(

Edited by -Hawk-

The springish/hawaii99er Pepper quilt will be finished on time. I'll be sending it back to WA via LucyAirExpress! :laughing:

Pepper

Do we have a picture of this springish/hawaii99er Pepper quilt, that you are so generouos to make? :laughing:

Today we set GZ for the Alpha and Bravo Sites for the GPS Accuracy Game and set the elevation for the Elevation Estimation Game. No Sissy or Expert Sites this year. The Bravo and Alpha Sites have equal reception. You will be advised by the Field Director or one of the field staff which site to use. One of the sites may have to be shut down ever so often for the field staff to measure the distance from GZ to the flag you have planted. Then the field will be cleared of flags and the other field shut down and measured. The Field Director will call in your measurement to the registration staff which will record it after your number and name. The coordinates for each site will be on a sign posted near GZ for that site. If your batteries give out or you need help putting in coordinates see Dick either near or in the W7WT van. If he can't help he will get someone that can. There will be two elevation platforms near the W7WT van that will adjusted to be the same elevation. Place your GPS on the platform and using the little numbered card given to you when you registered for the GPS Accuracy Game, Add your Geocaching name and what your GPS recorded in feet. If your GPS goes down to tenths of a foot, you may also add that. Drop the card in the bright orange container. If somehow, you missed getting the card, see Dick and he will give you one. Hope to see you there. Dick

Don't forget the pre/post party campout at Manchester State Park. They have a lovely group area with nice level paved spots for trailers, a large covered area with picnic tables and a nice fire pit that we will be burning large amounts of wood in.

We might even bring some marshmellows to char.

In case you're wondering what is going on with the Spring Fling raffle....and I know you are.... here's what we've got so far that will be raffled off:

:lol: over 60 GeoCoins

:( 2 GPSrs

:lol: 7 Gift Baskets

;) 12+ Bottles of Wine

:laughing: at least a dozen misc items including caching equipment, a picnic backkpack, video game, lapel pins, wooden nickel certificates, a GSAK membership

You gonna miss a chance to win one of these fabulous items, see how good of a cacher you are at our GPS game and gorge yourself on smoked brisket?

Please make sure that you go to the link on the Spring Fling event listing and pre register for your badges and games.

Hope we'll see you there! And if we don't see you there maybe we'll see you at the after hours party!

You gonna miss a chance to win one of these fabulous items, see how good of a cacher you are at our GPS game and gorge yourself on smoked brisket?

And don't forget, there will be gen-u-ine Texas BBQ Sause from Rudy's BBQ ("The worst BBQ in Texas") in Austin & Round Rock, TX! That's my way of being at the Fling in spirit! Enjoy! :lol:

Rudy's BBQ Sause? Uhhh.. gee I don't seem to recall getting any of that *burp* :lol:

Yeah, we got a big ole bottle of Rudy's BBQ Sause...yes, SauSe, and a smaller bottle of the Sissy Sause along with some Rudy's Rub.

I got 20 pounds of brisket in the freezer and I'm not afraid to use it!!

Rudy's BBQ Sause? Uhhh.. gee I don't seem to recall getting any of that *burp* :huh:

Yeah, we got a big ole bottle of Rudy's BBQ Sause...yes, SauSe, and a smaller bottle of the Sissy Sause along with some Rudy's Rub.

And I aint afraid to eat it!!!!!!

Since there is a "Sissy Sause", are we to take it the regular sause is of the spicy variety? ;)

It aint hot unless you :D !!

Rudy's BBQ Sause? Uhhh.. gee I don't seem to recall getting any of that *burp* :D

Since there is a "Sissy Sause", are we to take it the regular sause is of the spicy variety? ;)

It aint hot unless you :D !!

I wouldn't call it "spicy" but it is "flavorful".

It's OK, Scoob. Somethin' tells me you'll have plenty of barely pop to help you handle the "real" stuff! :huh:

Rudy's BBQ Sause? Uhhh.. gee I don't seem to recall getting any of that *burp* :D

Since there is a "Sissy Sause", are we to take it the regular sause is of the spicy variety? :wub:

It aint hot unless you :wub: !!

I wouldn't call it "spicy" but it is "flavorful".

It's OK, Scoob. Somethin' tells me you'll have plenty of barely pop to help you handle the "real" stuff! :wub:

Somethin' tells me your right!!! Seeings how I am involved in the creation of said barley pop. Too bad you cant be here to partake in the refreshments!!