Cracking Codes

mysterya

I've come across a cache that I don't understand how to crack the code. It uses a format of numbers and / that you need to transfer into letters from a note. I'm not sure if I will then have to convert it back into numbers again or what. But so far I do not understand it and wonder if there is a code book or something available so I can "cheat" Thanks

This code breaking can take you into pretty deep water sometimes,

A good start is to guess the co-ordinates.eg. all my caches are in

N12.8xxxxxE100.4xxxxx in deg.dec yours may be in dd.mm.mmm, but principle is the same.

Use what you know and look for re-occurences in the code.

There are heaps of codes and "books', but you have to know which one you are looking for.

Often a hint is given in the description, e.g. "eaten at dinner"..you think of Caesar Salad, then you have a Caesar code..very common but in many different formats.

Please send me the GC waypoint I'd like a look.

If the setter has included geochecker on the page, it's a great help.

Often a hint is given in the description, e.g. "eaten at dinner"..you think of Caesar Salad, then you have a Caesar code..very common but in many different formats.

No, sorry, when you say "eaten at dinner"....... I think immediately of FOOD, glorious food!

See, we all think differently! Good luck on the code! Codes are not usually too hard to crack, providing you THINK about them!

It's considered bad form to ask for help in the forums for solving puzzle caches. Puzzle caches are for individuals to solve, not us as a community.

Good luck on solving it! :laughing:

El Diablo

I didn't ask for helping solving the cache, I want to know of code books to help me out in this and future caches. I don't know of any and was told to ask on the forums

This code breaking can take you into pretty deep water sometimes,

A good start is to guess the co-ordinates.eg. all my caches are in

N12.8xxxxxE100.4xxxxx in deg.dec yours may be in dd.mm.mmm, but principle is the same.

Use what you know and look for re-occurences in the code.

There are heaps of codes and "books', but you have to know which one you are looking for.

Please send me the GC waypoint I'd like a look.

If the setter has included geochecker on the page, it's a great help.

GCWV2Y it's called Where's Smiley? Don't tell me the solution though. I was told there are some code books in general that will help with caching but I don't know what they are. That's what I would like help in. The "note" is from pioneers and the title doesn't help much either.

No, sorry, when you say "eaten at dinner"....... I think immediately of FOOD, glorious food!

See, we all think differently! Good luck on the code! Codes are not usually too hard to crack, providing you THINK about them!

I've been dwelling on it for a while and talked to a few other cachers in the area at a local event who had trouble with it as well. That's why i'm looking for extra resources now. I'd love to solve it, and figured some code book would help me solve it and maybe help me create puzzle caches of my own in the future

It's considered bad form to ask for help in the forums for solving puzzle caches. Puzzle caches are for individuals to solve, not us as a community.

El Diablo

Here we are again, someone deciding how the game should be played, and not even reading the Op's request.

El Diablo

Actually, only some people consider it bad form to ask for help in solving a puzzle cache. I have two puzzle caches and don't mind a bit if a cacher asks anyone for help.

Also, in my opinion to use phrases like "... not us as a community.", in a post is just weak. Perhaps someone is trying to sound authoritative when offering their opinion as fact?

El Diablo

Here we are again, someone deciding how the game should be played, and not even reading the Op's request.

Yeah I didn't think asking for help on which books would be helpful to me was a crime. Sorry to create any drama.

El Diablo

Yeah I didn't think asking for help on which books would be helpful to me was a crime. Sorry to create any drama.

Don't be sorry for anything..the self appointed spokesman, should apologise.Don't forget to send me the clues mentioned to be found at the first stsage.

Edited by gerboa

Go ahead and ask for help, isn’t that what this forum is all about Geocaching.

I look at it this way, if people keep making there puzzle caches so hard that no can figure them out, no one will find or even look for them. Its there loss then putting all that work into for nothing.

Ask what ever question you want.

El Diablo

I didn't ask for helping solving the cache, I want to know of code books to help me out in this and future caches. I don't know of any and was told to ask on the forums

There are lots of books about solving or creating puzzles and codes, go to any bookstore in your area and ask for some. AFAIK there are none specifically about geocaching. Whoever may created the cache your working on may have used one of the books available at your local bookstore, or maybe they came up with the idea themselves, or even got the idea from another source.

If you need help trying to figure out where to start,(or have an idea but its not working quite right) you should consider emailing the cache owner and asking. Maybe they'll help, maybe they won't. Some cache owners get very ticked when people cheat the puzzles by asking others for help/clues. Which is why many in the forums frown on giving help on puzzles, you never know if the owner wants the finder to do the work all themselves or not. Heck in your case the owner might be upset your asking what book to read, You've been warned.

welch

El Diablo

There are lots of books about solving or creating puzzles and codes, go to any bookstore in your area and ask for some. AFAIK there are none specifically about geocaching. Whoever may created the cache your working on may have used one of the books available at your local bookstore, or maybe they came up with the idea themselves, or even got the idea from another source.

If you need help trying to figure out where to start,(or have an idea but its not working quite right) you should consider emailing the cache owner and asking. Maybe they'll help, maybe they won't. Some cache owners get very ticked when people cheat the puzzles by asking others for help/clues. Which is why many in the forums frown on giving help on puzzles, you never know if the owner wants the finder to do the work all themselves or not. Heck in your case the owner might be upset your asking what book to read, You've been warned.

welch

Are there REALLY people like that !!!! there are puzzles on Music Scores, Chemistry, Math, Shakespeare Sonnets, to mention a few. Do they want only those with close aquaintance with such specialities to solve them? Of course the presentatation itself may be a blind.In short I don't believe how anyone could object, but they would be pleased that their puzzle attracted such a level of interest.

Edited by gerboa

Good luck on solving it! :huh:

El Diablo

welch

Are there REALLY people like that !!!! there are puzzles on Music Scores, Chemistry, Math, Shakespeare Sonnets, to mention a few. Do they want only those with close aquaintance with such specialities to solve them? Of course the presentatation itself may be a blind.In short I don't believe how anyone could object, but they would be pleased that their puzzle attracted such a level of interest.

yes. next time someone comes to forum to rant about cheating I'll try to remember to send you a link.

maybe if you tell them they should be happy they'll mellow out :blink:

Go ahead and ask for help, isn’t that what this forum is all about Geocaching.

I look at it this way, if people keep making there puzzle caches so hard that no can figure them out, no one will find or even look for them. Its there loss then putting all that work into for nothing.

Ask what ever question you want.

Well, that completely confuses me. On one hand, what you're saying is that it's a self-limiting system. Since fewer people hunt the really hard puzzles, it keeps the number of really hard puzzles down, as most owners want their caches to be found.

You then follow that by advocating short-circuiting that system, saying it's okay to ask for (and receive, I assume) help for the really hard puzzles. The people who put out really hard puzzles will respond with even harder puzzles. :blink:

Have you thought of entering politics? Being able to simultaneously espouse two contradictory viewpoints is considered a plus in that profession. :huh:

Good luck on solving it! :)

El Diablo

welch

yes. next time someone comes to forum to rant about cheating I'll try to remember to send you a link.

maybe if you tell them they should be happy they'll mellow out :)

How would they know if anyone had help? Perhaps you can dig out some previous posts to bolster your position please.

Good luck on solving it! :)

El Diablo

welch

maybe if you tell them they should be happy they'll mellow out :)

How would they know if anyone had help? Perhaps you can dig out some previous posts to bolster your position please.

Maybe the person says in their log they got help from such and such. Or maybe noone would find out, it doesn't really matter, if the owner didn't want people helping they still don't even if they don't know who cheated.

Do your own research.

Changing numbers to letters, there are these puzzles published and found in the local magazine rack at the drug store. Read the simple suggestions at the front, and follow common sense rules, like most used letters, only certain letters repeat (2 in a row), you are familiar with most of the common two letter words, etc....

Good luck. Solving the puzzle may be the most challanging part, but it will also be the most fun when things start coming together. Good luck.

I've come across a cache that I don't understand how to crack the code. It uses a format of numbers and / that you need to transfer into letters from a note. I'm not sure if I will then have to convert it back into numbers again or what. But so far I do not understand it and wonder if there is a code book or something available so I can "cheat" Thanks

From looking at the cache (from a continent and an ocean away) I'd say it's one where you'll not be able to crack it until you go on site, follow the instructions, and then have a think about what you see there. That probably means that books on solving codes (or ciphers, which are often what are actually used) won't be needed, but a bit of common sense, and a bit of lateral thinking at the site will be far more useful.

Good luck.

Well I guess I will try to tackle the OP's actual question. :laughing:

I just finished "The Code Book" by Singh. It was a fascinating look at ciphers and the history of cryptography. It does a great job of walking you through the old ciphers like Caesar and Viginere's. It explains in a pretty straightforward way how to do frequency analysis and how to use it to break ciphers. It shows both encryption and decryption. It even goes so far as to show you how to break the Enigma code. (tough but doable) Lots of great history on the whole of cryptography. IMO a great book to learn about cryptography in general. Can't recommend it enough.

It was easy to follow until they started on quantum cryptography. :rolleyes: At that point my eyes glazed over and rolled back in my head and a trickle of steam began to flow from my ears. But that is only the last chapter.

Good luck on solving it! :rolleyes:

El Diablo

welch

maybe if you tell them they should be happy they'll mellow out :laughing:

Maybe the person says in their log they got help from such and such. Or maybe noone would find out, it doesn't really matter, if the owner didn't want people helping they still don't even if they don't know who cheated.

Do your own research.

I've joined an evening class to learn Sanskrit, to help me solve a puzzle.Would the unknowing assistance of the lecturer be frowned upon, by one of these unidentified setters? ? Once I searched Google, for some clues, I think the site was made by a person, is that acceptable?

As Professor Joad would always say "It depends what you mean by ....."., in this case "help"

also "cheating"..what is it? a competition for a million dollars.?

So please step forward at least one genuine puzzle setter, not a sock puppet, and explain "cheating"

Even Alan Turing had some "help", the Nazis would have preferred he worked alone,for sure.

We have some code heads where I live. I've solved one so far - but have not made the trek out there - something about Cottonmouths is holding me back... But I digress... I had a quick look at your puzzle cache...

*BOOM*

My head exploded, as it does when confronted by a slew of numbers.

Luckily. Another cacher was kind enough to point me to some sites that can help muscle some of these... If they're in this whatever*the*heck*it*is*anyway format.

Good luck

:laughing:

http://www.pookey.co.uk/binary.php

http://deafandblind.com/word_frequency.htm

Well I guess I will try to tackle the OP's actual question. :laughing:

I just finished "The Code Book" by Singh. It was a fascinating look at ciphers and the history of cryptography. It does a great job of walking you through the old ciphers like Caesar and Viginere's. It explains in a pretty straightforward way how to do frequency analysis and how to use it to break ciphers. It shows both encryption and decryption. It even goes so far as to show you how to break the Enigma code. (tough but doable) Lots of great history on the whole of cryptography. IMO a great book to learn about cryptography in general. Can't recommend it enough.

It was easy to follow until they started on quantum cryptography. :unsure: At that point my eyes glazed over and rolled back in my head and a trickle of steam began to flow from my ears. But that is only the last chapter.

Thanks. That's really useful. I'm hopeing to eventually create my own as well as solve this one, but being an art major cryptology is definetly not my forte and I had no idea what a good source might be

From looking at the cache (from a continent and an ocean away) I'd say it's one where you'll not be able to crack it until you go on site, follow the instructions, and then have a think about what you see there. That probably means that books on solving codes (or ciphers, which are often what are actually used) won't be needed, but a bit of common sense, and a bit of lateral thinking at the site will be far more useful.

Good luck.

This is exactly my thought. From looking at the page I would guess that there is a plaque or something at the location described that will make this evident.

This (from the cache page):

Go to N 51.03.343' W 114.02.908'

Arrive to the destination from the west, east or south.

(free 2 hour parking east of that location) -Look west and go to the first visible dead-end on your right.

-Walk up one "broken escalator",go into the area to your right and find the big "X".

-Go toward "The lighT".

-Walk about 45 steps to the west when you are by "The lighT".(no need to trespass, please)

-Walk north until you see "ICE CREAM"

-The area to your left is where a bunch of pioneers left a note...FIND IT!

would seem to be directions to the object that you will use to decipher the code.

Good luck!