200TH ANNIVERSARY

GEO*Trailblazer 1

As most of you are aware.

We have just finished up the Lewis and Clark Trail on our 2-1/2 year Journey following in the Footsteps of those famous travelers.

I was asked in the beginning of it to help sponsor the Lewis and Clark Signature Events through geocaching.com by the NGS.

I did the one's in Missouri,Illinois and Kansas.

But could not afford to do the entire trails.

Nor at that time were there many interested.

To make a long story short I am looking for individuals/groups to help in sponsoring events with the U.S. C.&G.S., UNITED STATES COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY (Now NOAA NGS) across the United States.

NOAA HISTORY

And you also know it is their 200th Anniversay in 2007,founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1807.

These could include all the events/competitions that I have seen listed in this forum as well as one's you may come up with.

If we get a big enough following we can have the NGS show up at these events and teach of what NGS does for us in everyday life.

We just need to be organized and get these events/competitions together.

This would be a great opportunity to learn more of what they offer to us as well as teach the communities we live in.

Transcontinental Arc points is what I(we) are trying to target.

Most of that history is listed in the first link.

Here is some more on that.

BENCHMARKING WIKI

Now it does not have to be one of these this is just one facet of the NGS jewel.

There are many many things they do.

I just want to get this out here in plenty of time to start discussing it and making plans because 2007 is just around the corner now.

Please post your ideas.

Concerns.

Events.

Questions.

Thanks

Charles

GEO*TRAILBLAZER 1

Would be interested in sponsoring an event here in Alaska; we're not on the big Triangulation arc, of course, but the local BLM survey office has a 'baseline' of sorts it maintains alongside its Campbell Airstrip property. Possibly their office could host a geocacher's workshop on benchmarks; they're very geocaching-friendly in that they invite us to their Winter Trails event hosted every March for the last several years.

I got ahold of our NGS State Advisor and he thinks that the Transcontinental Arc across Missouri is a great idea.

I am in the process of writing a formal letter to them to start coorealating things for next year.

I have also contacted the Schools and they are interested in this for educational purposes as well as Historic.

I also have a meeting coming up to present it at a MAP.

Missouri-Arkansas Partnership.

MAP

Many more projects for it I am just getting started.

Keep the ideas coming and lets do a great one.