Flashlights

I have been using a $3.95 flashlight with one of those largish batteries for a few years - has held up well and only changed the battery twice that I can remember. I also use a generic wal-mart headlamp that is LED and BEAm. The LED lasts for days on one set of batteries but isn't terrible bright but enough to light up about 15-20 foot around me. The beam is quite bright but consumes the battery more quickly.

Flashlight reviews web site

If you're going to buy a light, check it out at the above web site first. Unbiased reviews on all makes and models of flashlights, including brightness and battery life. You might be surprised at how little battery life you get from some lights!

Personally I prefer Luxeon LED lights, I have a couple 1 watt lights and one 3 watt light. Each of them was less than $30, the batteries last a long time and they're all very bright.

I upgraded my Mini Mags with a LED Upgrade Kit from TerraLUX, it was the TLE-5 MiniStar2 and I think it is a BIG improvement over the original bulb in the Mini Mag. Very bright, supposed to be six times as bright and longer lasting, again six times as long. I am not sure about it being six times as bright, maybe more like three or four times but a set of batteries do seem to last a really long time. I also use a Tikka Zipka, a small spring load headlight which uses three AAA, this is great for times when you need to use both hands. It has about 12-15 hours of full light and than drops off over the next 100-150 hours, never kept it on that long though. It is very small and great for use when changing a flat tire at night on a dark road, this I do know!!!

Flashlight reviews web site

If you're going to buy a light, check it out at the above web site first. Unbiased reviews on all makes and models of flashlights, including brightness and battery life. You might be surprised at how little battery life you get from some lights!

Personally I prefer Luxeon LED lights, I have a couple 1 watt lights and one 3 watt light. Each of them was less than $30, the batteries last a long time and they're all very bright.

Great site. You can't go wrong reading it. If I were buying "The ultimate" geocaching flashlight right now the Fenix L2T as reveiwed on that site would be very high on my list. If I wanted cheap...the MiniMag works well. You can buy an LED upgrade for the minimag and make it both brighter and last longer (see the site for good upgrades).

Surefire makes some good lights, and Two of theirs are higher on my list than that Fenix, but at more than twice the price it may be awhile before I buy them.

I tend to like lights with two modes. One bright and one low.

I upgraded my Mini Mags with a LED Upgrade Kit from TerraLUX, it was the TLE-5 MiniStar2 and I think it is a BIG improvement over the original bulb in the Mini Mag. Very bright, supposed to be six times as bright and longer lasting, again six times as long. I am not sure about it being six times as bright, maybe more like three or four times but a set of batteries do seem to last a really long time. ...

I've done both the TerraLUX LED upgrade and the el Cheapo Night Eyze upgrade for less than 5 bucks at WalMart. For the price the cheap upgrade does a good job with the MiniMag, but the TerraLUX upgrade does make the MiniMag a far better light. The upgraded light is what Mag Lights should be selling now.

I like my Princeton Tech 40. Lightweight, durable, waterproof and throws a mean beam for a $10 flashlight.

55831.jpg

My wife has a Princeton Tech Blast. The beam this tiny (about 1 1/2 inches long) light throws is amazing. It uses AAAs and eats them like potato chips though, which is the only negative, but if you need a powerfull beam for a short time, this one is great.

55843.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I try to use my night vision as much as possible and only use a light when it is totally necessary. From my backpacking days the rule was "if you can't hold it on your teeth it is too big". (often you need both hands to do the job....) But I have used a small Petzl headlamp and found it to be more than adequate for both navigation to and finding of a cache.

I have one of these

http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/tm303x.html

Very bright...long thro...small...well built...can be held in mouth....and has a clip to fasten it to the beak of a ballcap to use as a headlamp.

If you want a hands on look at one RadioShack (or whatever they call themselves in Canada)has them, sold under their own name, for $69

I've seen them online for $29US but ordered from these guys being in Canada and didn't want the customs hassle. Shop around.

I also ordered up 4 rechargeable batteries and charger for around $25 (forget where tho) Rechargeable CR123a batteries come in 2 voltages...3.2v and 3.6v...I chose the higher (gives an even brighter beam than the regular 3.2v)Being a single cell light the added voltage is not an issue (I believe the bulb can handle 4.2v) I get about 40 mins/battery before the brightness steps down.

my 2cents (for what it's worth)

Mikey

I carry a cheap and very light-weight Eveready 2-AA light in my pack at all times. Weight is a big consideration for this light. If I know I will be using a light, like for a night cache, I carry my 8-AA Princeton Surge dive light, lots of lumens in a small (but heavy) package.

I use any kind of AA battery powered flashlight to match all my other AA powered stuff, GPS, headlamp, camera, etc...

I currently use and prefer Streamlights. This 7-LED flood-type ($25)p_01_004529ss.jpg;

and this single-LED but very bright spotlight-type ($30)p_01_007326ss.jpg

I also have this very powerful 5-inch Streamlight Strion, but, at $85, and a 1-hour charge, I don't take it out much; when I do its as a backup.p_01_004921ss.jpg

The 7-LED flashlight has 100000-hr bulbs, the single LED has a 10000-hr bulb. I've had problems with the bulbs blowing out on the 7-LED flashlight. However, they have a lifetime warranty and have had no problems with my dealer replacing the flashlight; I'm on my third 7-LED flashlight, and everytime I get a new one, I get free 4-AA Energizer batteries (they come with the flashlight).

I also have a Surefire Z2 Combatlight, but at $90, I also don't take it out much. Plus, the batteries run $15; it's mainly for work. p_01_004469ss.jpg

I also have a Stinger and Stinger HP.

I guess you can say I collect flashlights :D .

Edited by Chuy!

I don't use a flashlight. I have a Princeton Tech Apex headlamp. It was a bit on the expensive side ($65), but it is very bright and gets amazing battery life. I have rechargeable batteries for it, but I have to wait for the ones it came with to die first before I can use them.

In my opinion (read OPINION), Surefires are a complete waste of money for most people. Yes, they are great torches, no argument, but they carry a seriously premium price tag for reasons that most cachers could care less about.

There are many ways to objectively measure the performance of a flashlight. Among them are battery type, battery life, power regulated or unregulated, throw distance, spill radius, weight, price and other factors.

So, let's cut out all the various details unrelated to caching and just focus on what makes for a darn good torch for caching.

In handhelds it is hard to beat a STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon LED. Average retail price is $30 and they compare favorably with $100+ Surefires. The Streamlight propoly series of torches is well made, very bright, good battery life (runs on alkalines/rechargeables) and offers a single, ultra high end LED that puts out white rather than bluish light. Throw distance is good as is spill radius. The torch is power regulated so the amount of light is consistent for the first 4 hours or so of use. Flashlightreview.com gives them a 5 out of 5 rating.

For head units I don't think the Princeton Tec Apex is beatable. It competes directly against another unit that has a street price of well over 200 bones. The Princeton Tec can be had for around 65 bones. Pricey, yes. Expensive when compared to other units with similar specs? Nope, a huge bargain by comparison.

This headlamp was named brightest and most feature rich headlamp in Backpacker Magazine 2006 Gear Guide. Flashlightreview.com lists it as the 20th most popular flashlight among those of it's membership and it is the only headlamp (I am aware of) in the top 20 list.

The Apex runs on 4 AA batteries making the batteries cheap and easily available. The headlamp offers 5 light modes utilizing a combo of lamps. For wide area illumination there are multiple midrange quality LEDs that spark up and will run for dozens of hours. For spotlight focus at long distances a press of the button engages a super high end LED that acts like a spotlight.

Both units I mention have no hassle/no excuses lifetime warranties.

The cacher can pick up both for around $100US including shipping. This is less than what a single good Surefire costs.

So, why do surefires cost more?

Part of it is branding. Surefire has made a name for itself. So, you pay more with the expectation that you won't be disappointed. In most cases you will be impressed with Surefires if you haven't used the competition. The other part of it is the intended market. Surefire makes torches intended for police, fire fighters and the military. As such there is a lot of red tape and regulation and the torches have to comply with whatever regulations|standards are in existence. Surefires comply with all of this and therefore require a premium price just like those $150 toilet seats the military buys do (yes, I am aware I am taking certain literary license with this statement (read I am exaggerating a bit)). For regular person use the extra cost is a waste as the compliance with various regs is meaningless.

Case in point. The Streamlight ProPolymer comes in 2 flavors. A class 1 and class 2. What's the difference?

Nothing other than price.

The classes refer only to the materials which are flammable/combustible. If one is a firefighter then they want a torch that won't melt/explode in a fire. Makes sense. Nevertheless the class 1 unit costs 10 bucks more than the class 2 unit and they are identical in every way. The cost premium is only there because of the rating/certification.

Does a geocacher have any reason to care whether their torch will withstand exposure to direct, open flames? Nope. And that is a part of the reason why Surefire lights are a waste of money for cachers. Buying a surefire is spending lots of money for things that make no difference to most people.

Name your favorite Surefire and I can name a direct competitor than compares favorably and costs less than 25% of the price of a surefire and has a lifetime warranty. It is hard to go wrong with a SureFire, but it is also hard to not find a comparable torch for 25% or less than the cost of a Surefire. If you buy Surefire you aren't paying for performance, you are paying for a brand name. A good brand with consistently good performance to be sure, but still spending exponentially more than one has to for comparable performance.

Let's cut through the details and get to the point. Want a handheld torch for caching? Get the Streamlight 4AA propolymer unit for around $30. Want a headlamp instead? Spend $65 and get the Princeton Tec Apex. That is all there is to it.

You can pay much more, but your money won't get you anything better.

Edited by DaveA

I own several flashlights, even a Maglight or two. One flashlight though is a Streamlight Twin-Task. These have both a Xenon and LED modes. The particular model I have the 3C version. I really like this light, but the point of this post is I'm searching for the cache I always tend to use the xenon mode. Sure I can see with the LEDs, but it just seems to me I can see better with xenon. "Better" I think I mean I see colors better, the shadows don't seem as harsh.

I just want to caution that some folks prefer an incandescent over an LED.

Another thing I prefer with my flashlight is one that is low power for getting around. I don't need a million candlepower to walk a trail.

OTOH, I like the Responder 4AA unit I have for carrying during the day to check out the dark stumps and hollow logs. It's as bright as a 4D Mag with a tiny fraction of the weight and takes up a lot less room.

I also have a Surefire Z2 Combatlight, but at $90, I also don't take it out much. Plus, the batteries run $15; it's mainly for work.

You're paying too much for batteries. That thing only uses 2 123a cells. Even at the local big box store, they were in 2 packs for $10. That's still too much as Surefire sells them for $1.75 each and Amondo Tech has them for $1 each. Or 2 or 3 cells shrinkwrapped together (ready to drop right into a 2 or 3 cell light) for $2 and $3 respectively.