Micros

Lost Brews

I see in these threads all the time people who hate and people who like Micros.

I honestly can't think of a single poster in these forums who hates all micros.

But I guess this is a illustration of the issue with micros. If you ask me what the best caches I've found are, I can run off a list of 20 or 30 great ones off the top of my head, but every one had a regular or small container at the end (with the exception of 1 virtual).

Ask me what my favorite micros are and I'm drawing a blank and looking through all my finds right now to see if I can come up with one.

Edited by briansnat
I see in these threads all the time people who hate and people who like Micros.

But I guess this is a illustration of the issue with micros. If you ask me what the best caches I've found are, I can run off a list of 20 or 30 great ones off the top of my head, but every one had a regular or small container at the end (with the exception of 1 virtual).

Ask me what my favorite micros are and I'm drawing a blank and looking through all my finds right now to see if I can come up with one.

Never saw it, but I read about one in a snail shell.

OK, got one. Not sure why I couldn't think of it, because I only found it 2 weeks ago. LF's Lunch.

I liked it because it brought me to an interesting spot that I never would have found otherwise and also because its one of the few traditional caches in Manhattan. The cache is in a small plaza between buildings that features a section of the Berlin Wall. The cache is actually hidden under the wall itself. Seeing a piece of the Berlin Wall complete with the graffiti was pretty cool.

I wasn't too thrilled with having to play the cloak and dagger game to retreive it and sign it, but it was a pretty interesting place and finding spots like that is the reason I geocache.

Edited by briansnat

The first 3 caches I ever found were all micros. They all brought me to local parks that I might

not otherwise have noticed and 2 of them had local history lessons attached. I like that sort of

cache, whatever size it is.

Other micros I've done that I like are cleverly camo'd "hidden in plain sight" caches. I think

it takes a lot more creativity to hide a micro in plain sight where 1000 people are going to

pass by evey month than it does to trek into the wilderness and bury an ammo can under

a pile of sticks where no one else will ever go.

I won't go out of my way for a lamp post micro. I have found a few, but only when I was

already there for something else.

(edited for formatting.)

Edited by darus67

Yeah, but there are plenty of people who believe there to be hundreds :D

OK, here's my all time favorite. GCN9TE Golden Gate Micro about 30 miles North of Williamsport, Pa. It takes you to the oldest extant suspension bridge in North America, built in 1891.

Here's another one I'll throw at you. It's a keyholder on a guardrail!! GCW0BP TUG or SUB....You decide Overlooking the Niagara River, about 4 miles upstream from the falls. near an 1898 shipwreck in the river. When placed, the shipwreck was a mystery, except that the cache placer remembered it being at least 50 years old. But cache finders did their reseach, and solved the mystery.

I have found a few clever ones. Not so much the place they were, moreso the camo job. I have found a fake bolt, a bogus stick, & one hidden cleverly in a storm drain. Those are the only ones I recall that were interesting. I am not a huge fan of urbans, especially if placed at some random building or parking lot. But, if its easy, I'll grab it. LPMs are my least fave...I've found a few, and the magic of those are gone. Its not the hunt for those, its if the parking space next to the lamp post is available.

My first find was a micro disguised as dog feces, on a nicely landscaped walkway. I was amazed at the creativity.

Another amazing micro was a cache where the log, and container were hidden in a pedestrain crossing box. The box happened to be a fake, as the real one was about 20 feet away. Anyone passing by, would have no idea it was fake.

IMNHO good micros need to be placed in areas that are worth sharing with other cachers. If a larger container can easily be placed in the same spot, I vote for the bigger containers. I see no purpose as a cache finder, for micros hidden in shopping centers.

Edited by Kit Fox

I love a creative micro container. Not a camo in the woods, but something really smart. LaughingTerry's Right in PLain Sight III here in Maine inspired me to find similar sized containers and people seem to be having fun with them. I built extra for my caching mentor to thank him for a nice one he had given me. But you'll never see them in the "cool containers" thread, even though they are. :P

Edited by Kacky

I love all geocaches and the fact that someone would take the time to hide one, just for me to find. Therefore, I like all micros too. I've seen lots of them hidden in many different ways. My favorite micros are the one that are hidden right in front of your face.

As an example, some piece of very busy modern art on a busy corner of the city, rectangle and tubular shapes, and painted a solid color. Stuck onto the piece of art with a magnet, a film container or altoids tin, painted the exact same color. To find it, you can walk all around the piece of art and search only with your eyes. To all the muggles, you are just simply an admirer of art, or some yokel on his first trip to the big city. No need to stick a GPS to your ear, just plain fun.

Edited by cachew nut

It's not the size of the container that makes it a good or bad cache. I've found many fantastic micros and many large containers that are less than desireable......... The opposition to micro's is mainly that anyone can throw a film can under a lamp post can call it a cache...there is no creativity in the spew of this type of hide.......... Don't call micro's bad hides.......call bad hides bad hides.

It's not the size of the container that makes it a good or bad cache. I've found many fantastic micros and many large containers that are less than desireable......... The opposition to micro's is mainly that anyone can throw a film can under a lamp post can call it a cache...there is no creativity in the spew of this type of hide.......... Don't call micro's bad hides.......call bad hides bad hides.

There's more creativity in the worst micro, than the creativity of those who never hide.

We found a really awesome mini park in North Carolina that is a must see if you get down that area. (GCJG7W) It's called "There's Something Fishy in Uptown"

When we stayed in Daytona, micros were the only thing that you *could* find. Two of the most memorable there were "Manatees, Dolphins, & Flying Fish" (GCKD32) for the beautiful view and "Life is better here" (GCKYGZ) for the photo op.

Here in the Pittsburgh area, I liked "The Charles Arthur Floyd Cache "(GCM0X1) It was well hidden and I loved the history about the spot.

A cache doesn't have to be a micro to be lame, but it sure helps. I wish there was an auto-ignore function available that could discern if a cache was a film canister. It would save me a lot of reading. :laughing:

So far, my favorite micro is one I haven't searched for yet, though it's on my radar.

Palatka Park Shelter has 45 logs, (some of them are notes), and only 1 find, since 08-18-06.

The Nemesis series in Southeast WI - Placed by Tyedyeskycrew

EXCELLENT challenge, excellent containers - many are hidden in plain sight. These are brain benders, that make you think, and look - each container, each location, everything about them took time, planning, and care. Not your typical magnet on a lamppost.

Look them up - they are PHENOMINAL.

At first, you love to hate them, then you hate it, but you LOVE them.

I only hope there is a second series in the works... Im bummed about completing them all!

Seems like in my area, most new caches are micros and I've found 4 of them(one was part of a two stage that included a standard sized cache but I didn't find the second half).

One was hidden hidden inside a hole in a tree and I almost missed it. I looked at the hold and saw something shiny and pulled it out and it was the cache. It was smaller than a film container, but did have a scroll in it I could sign. Another was a container that looked like a keychain that was hanging on a tree. Those were both very original hides in my opinion.

One was hidden in a hole under a tree and was a little larger(a pained Altoids tin), but it was a good hide and a good container that was very water tight. Another I found was hidden on a power pole and was in a high traffic area likely to be found my muggles in my opinion. Still, I went after it because it was a cache and it was near my home.

At first I didn't like micros but now, I do find them a challenge. The only thing is they need more maintenance I think, as one I found needed new log sheets and another was leaking. I put those things in the notes when I found them and hopefully the owners listened.

Just thought I'd add to this discussion.

I myself, am not a huge fan of micros. Could be due to a local hider placing tons of dreadful micros with no imagination or thought...

However, one day, I was walking through Hobby Lobby and found a little jewel on the shelf for 99 cents. I bought 2 and my husband thought I was slightly nuts when I was so excited about them. He didn't have the vision. :) After a bit of help getting equipment from hubbys dad and the location of a suitable spot to place this jewel, the cache is a success. :D It's not been found as much as I would have thought, but could be due to being a bit aways from other caches and the main town. As stated in the description, I only made it a multi because I in general prefer trading caches to log only. Plus, I think a log might have shown in the micro part... Stage one is definitly hidden in plain sight, which of course is what makes it so difficult.

If you're ever in the area, I hope that you come to visit this one!

GCXPFE

My sister now has a couple of the key items for the cache and is planning a variation of it up where she lives in Colorado. Should be fun to see what she comes up with! :)

Hm... Some one who hates all micros? how about pushkin

Complete edit, after seeing the poster I'm quoting above is "a group of kids" as quoted from their profile. But having a quote from someone's forum post as your signature, and then bringing up that forum poster out of the blue in this thread, is just a little creepy, in my opinion.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel