Sculpture Garden category?

I've been meaning to propose this for a while. I'd like to start a category for Sculpture Gardens. This would be an outdoor grouping of at least 5 sculptures that has been designated as a sculpture garden or sculpture park. I know that there is already an abstract sculpture category (mine) but this is different in that it's marking a place that is almost like an outdoor sculpture museum. Any comments? I'll create a management group if anyone is interested in joining as an officer.

I think a category for Outdoor Sculpture gardens would be great. The one in my neborhood is not in a formal garden setting but an industrial park. So I think Sculpture gardens would be the Category title and yes I see it fitting under Art in the index not gardens. Please create a group , But unfortunately I already am in several Categories but this is one I would post to.

Okay, I think that I'll work up the description next week. A sculpture garden is different than a natural garden so it wouldn't fit in that section. Although it could be considered an art museum, it's very different. Art museums often have separate sculpture gardens, but they are separate entities for the most part. I have a strong interest in sculpture and would search out these parks to visit, when I wouldn't necessarily search out art museums. For me the added benefit is that they aren't as common as art museums. One of my favorites it a small forested area in Washington called Webster's Woods that local artists have used to tuck away almost 100 different pieces. It's not sponsored by a museum but the small town's arts center. It was so magical that I was hooked on sculpture gardens and now try to find them whenever I travel.

I'll post again once I get the group up and running. Thanks for comments.

I've been meaning to propose this for a while. I'd like to start a category for Sculpture Gardens. This would be an outdoor grouping of at least 5 sculptures that has been designated as a sculpture garden or sculpture park. I know that there is already an abstract sculpture category (mine) but this is different in that it's marking a place that is almost like an outdoor sculpture museum. Any comments? I'll create a management group if anyone is interested in joining as an officer.

I like the idea for Sculpture Gardens but have a couple questions. Will you require pictures of at least 5 sculptures or what will you want to say it is a garden? I assume it will be ok to submit the abstract sculptures separately that are contained in the garden? (my most recent submissions in abstract sculptures were all in a sculpture garden)

I like the idea for Sculpture Gardens but have a couple questions. Will you require pictures of at least 5 sculptures or what will you want to say it is a garden? I assume it will be ok to submit the abstract sculptures separately that are contained in the garden? (my most recent submissions in abstract sculptures were all in a sculpture garden)

I have a sculpure park waymark in the Arts Museum category and one of the sculptures in that park in the Abstract Sculptures category. Not saying that there shouldn't be a sculpture garden/park category, just that there is a broader category to post them in. But if you want to make sculpture gardens more prominent then having it's own category would certainly do that.

This is the where I believe this would fit into the index: (And as you can see this is not the index for Art Museums.) But remember you can only suggest were it goes when you create the Category TPTB actually place it where they think is best.

Art/Music more detail

Locations of artistic things.

Subcategories: ( Please note that each of the below are not actually subcatagries but actual Catagories with their own management group, this is just the directories index.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Abstract Public Sculptures • Murals

• Art*o*mats • Musical Instruments

• Fiberglass Horses • Outdoor Wind Harps

• Garage Door Art • Outside Wooden Display Carvings

• Gargoyles • Painted Hydrants

• Graffiti • Statues

• Immortalized in Lyrics • Topiaries

• Junk Design Houses • Wee Folk Fairy Doors

You would have to make the catagory significantly different from the Abstract Public Sculptures Catagory or it would be a duplicate Catagory which do not make it through the peer review.

Edited by chstress53

Hmm. I think that this is one of those categories where a place could fit in multiple categories. If the Art Museum Category accepts sculpture parks as museums, that's great. For those interested only in outdoor sculpture exhibits, there is the sculpture park category. I guess it's the age old argument of how detailed are categories allowed to get. Oh well, all a girl can do is try. Another great thing about Sculpture Gardens is that often they are free to the public, whereas indoor museums aren't.

As far as the question about would I require photos of the 5 sculptures - I'm not into policing the waymarks. If someone is so desperate for an icon that they'll lie to get a place waymarked, well, they need to get out more. ;) I figure that if they lie, at some point someone will visit and set the record straight.

I would allow waymarks of individual sculptures within the park in my Abstract Public Sculpture category. Oh, and BruceS - great waymarks. Thanks!

I think I'll create the group and go from there. As soon as I figure out how to create a group. ;) It's been awhile since I created the last one.