Anyone in Ontario/GTA having a GPSMAP 60 Cx/CSx?

Laurontario

Hello,

I recently purchased a GPSMAP 60 Cx and I noticed that this unit cannot differentiate between collector and expres lanes on Hwy 401.

I used before an Etrex Vista C and I was pleased to see that, for longer trips, the unit prompted me to keep left and enter express and then, approaching to the exit, to keep right and exit towards collector.

I use Metroguide Canada.

Also, if I use nRoute+MG Canada and simulate a GPS, I get the same result as for the Vista. Unfortunately this new unit, for whatever reason, can't do it.

Anyone having the same experience? I was wondering if ther eis something wrong with my unit or if all are the same.

I asked Garmin the same question and, after a couple of e-mails back and forth they said they need to look into it and will get back to me (which hasn't happened yet).

Thanks,

Laurentiu

Okay, so I routed from Steeles and Torbram in Brampton to Yonge and St. Claire area. City Navigator 8 did direct me to stay in the collectors at one point. And I tried it at home in demo mode and it made several references to collectors and express. It did however make a mistake in its routing. It stated at one point that I should stay on "Hwy 401 E to Hwy 409 E" when it was the other way around. If I was from out of town that could have been a real pain. I guess it could be Metro Guide that does not show the difference between collectors and express.

Used my 60cx with MG Canada V4 tonight and it does care if your in the collectors or express. If I zzom in it sees where I am, to the lane. In fact it would have let me stay in the express until it was time to exit when of course it would be too late. When I used MG with my street pilot III it did let me know about the express, to the point it got irrating if i moved back and forth as I drove.

I only have v7 of City Nav which I am told does not work on the 60CX (have yet to try). I am planneing to upgrade to V8 in the near future so I would be interested in hear it v8 does.

Used my 60cx with MG Canada V4 tonight and it does care if your in the collectors or express. If I zzom in it sees where I am, to the lane. In fact it would have let me stay in the express until it was time to exit when of course it would be too late. When I used MG with my street pilot III it did let me know about the express, to the point it got irrating if i moved back and forth as I drove.

I only have v7 of City Nav which I am told does not work on the 60CX (have yet to try). I am planneing to upgrade to V8 in the near future so I would be interested in hear it v8 does.

I do not understand what you mean by "it would have let you stay in the express until it was too late". Does it not say to stay in the express or keep right to collectors or some such a phrase? CN V8 does. So far as I can tell anyways. It will not let you miss an exit to collectors if you have an upcoming exit to make. I have not tried every scenario of course but so far it seems to direct fine, as far as express and collectors anyway.

I do not understand what you mean by "it would have let you stay in the express until it was too late". Does it not say to stay in the express or keep right to collectors or some such a phrase? CN V8 does. So far as I can tell anyways. It will not let you miss an exit to collectors if you have an upcoming exit to make. I have not tried every scenario of course but so far it seems to direct fine, as far as express and collectors anyway.

I got on the 401 at Keele Street, first place to transfer to the express is at Young St. I exit at Whites Rd in Pickering. Transfer from Express at collectors is at Meadowvale. As I entered the 401 the next instruction was "exit Whites rd,?? Km” It never said to transfer to the express but the map showed me (when zoomed in) that I was in the collectors. I took the transfer but the 60cx didn't beep or give me a new instruction till 1.5 km from the whites’ rd exit.... thus being too late. If it wasn't so late at night i would have loved to stay in the express and see what it would done... my guess would be to indicate I missed my road and recalculate (if the 60cx does this) me to exit at Brock.

For the last several years I have been using a StreetPilot III in the car with Metro guide Canada and more recently City Nav V7. The SP always told me to transfer between the collectors and Express.

I have been told City NAV V7 will not work on my 60cx so I reloaded Metro guide. The upgrade has had to wait since I went over budget last week on the geocaching GPS, but glad I did.

I got on the 401 at Keele Street, first place to transfer to the express is at Young St. I exit at Whites Rd in Pickering. Transfer from Express at collectors is at Meadowvale. As I entered the 401 the next instruction was "exit Whites rd,?? Km” It never said to transfer to the express but the map showed me (when zoomed in) that I was in the collectors. I took the transfer but the 60cx didn't beep or give me a new instruction till 1.5 km from the whites’ rd exit.... thus being too late. If it wasn't so late at night i would have loved to stay in the express and see what it would done... my guess would be to indicate I missed my road and recalculate (if the 60cx does this) me to exit at Brock.

For the last several years I have been using a StreetPilot III in the car with Metro guide Canada and more recently City Nav V7. The SP always told me to transfer between the collectors and Express.

I have been told City NAV V7 will not work on my 60cx so I reloaded Metro guide. The upgrade has had to wait since I went over budget last week on the geocaching GPS, but glad I did.

The 60Cx will recalculate. You can set it to "promt" or auto recalaculate. That is interesting with the exits. I will have to try and see if mine does the same with CN V8.

Used my 60cx with MG Canada V4 tonight and it does care if your in the collectors or express. If I zzom in it sees where I am, to the lane. In fact it would have let me stay in the express until it was time to exit when of course it would be too late.

Well, that's exactly what I mean.

When I zoom in I can see I'm in the collectors/express, so, the unit 'sees' the lanes.

However, if I stay in Express it prompts me to exit not to collector first, then to exit but let me stay in express until about 1km before the exit. Of course, most of the time there is to transfer between express and collector and, unless I jump over the concrete divider I have to miss the exit.

Used my 60cx with MG Canada V4 tonight and it does care if your in the collectors or express. If I zzom in it sees where I am, to the lane. In fact it would have let me stay in the express until it was time to exit when of course it would be too late.

Well, that's exactly what I mean.

When I zoom in I can see I'm in the collectors/express, so, the unit 'sees' the lanes.

However, if I stay in Express it prompts me to exit not to collector first, then to exit but let me stay in express until about 1km before the exit. Of course, most of the time there is to transfer between express and collector and, unless I jump over the concrete divider I have to miss the exit.

Very sorry all there was a typo in my original testing post that is quoted here. Corrected here....

Used my 60cx with MG Canada V4 tonight and it does NOT care if your in the collectors or express. If I zoom in it sees where I am, to the lane. In fact it would have let me stay in the express until it was time to exit when of course it would be too late.

Seems repling after a week of afternoons is not a good idea, sorry for the confusion I have caused.

Used my 60cx with MG Canada V4 tonight and it does NOT care if your in the collectors or express. If I zoom in it sees where I am, to the lane. In fact it would have let me stay in the express until it was time to exit when of course it would be too late.

Thanks, Derek. I'll keep pushing Garmin and hopefully they will get this corrected, somehow.

I now have V7 of City navigator installed and collectors/ express are being used again. Same exit as before but got on at Allen so I went right to the express.

Every time I approached a transfer from Express (where I'm traveling) it beeps staying stay left until I get to the Whites rd transfer, it then beeps saying get right.

My street pilot used to always tell me to stay left in the express when I was on V5 but stopped when I went to V7. Maybe V8 will get rid of this for the 60Cx.

I now have V7 of City navigator installed and collectors/ express are being used again. Same exit as before but got on at Allen so I went right to the express.

Every time I approached a transfer from Express (where I'm traveling) it beeps staying stay left until I get to the Whites rd transfer, it then beeps saying get right.

My street pilot used to always tell me to stay left in the express when I was on V5 but stopped when I went to V7. Maybe V8 will get rid of this for the 60Cx.

I am using V8. Today while travelling from Brampton to downtown it said to "keep right to collectors" when coming from the 409. I however preffered to go into the express on account of the construction. It could not tell that I was in the express and not the collectors. I am however very impressed so far how it knows when you can't turn at a street. Yesterday I used it to go from the airport to downtown and it kept telling me to turn left when I was in the core. It was trying to get me to come from the west (to go east onto Gerrard). I kept going north with the intention of turning west at Gerrard. You cannot turn left (west) onto Gerrard fom Yonge. When I got to Gerrard it told me to turn right and when possible make a U-turn. I thought that was really cool. Then because it was not safe to do so I kept driving and it recalculated and sent me around and back to where I needed to be.

So, it seems that the unit cannot see the difference when using MG Canada.

I e-mailed Garmin again and I am waiting to see what they have to say about it.

I'm afraid, though, they won't do anything since MG is no longer supported and they try to push CN instead.

We'll see...

Thanks everyone for their answers. At least I know nothing is wrong with my unit.

Regards,

Laurentiu