changing files from loc to gpx

bottleboy

:D Ok I am just a simple man and sometimes need my hints. I use easygps for my tool to send file information to my GPS, a Magellan meridian gold, Whenever i go to download a group of caches in an area my computer saves them as a .loc file insted of a .GPX file. I can save individual files as .GPX but that option is available on the displayed page for the cache. But if I do a pocket Query and attemp to save te list to my computer it saves it as a .loc. I can convert it later to a .gpx file but that does me no good as the infor for the hints is only avalable in .GPX format.

Please help this simple man...

First of all i recomend GSAK because its a great program also because you a PM you can either make a PQ and hope that you get the caches you want emailed to you OR book mark the caches you want the go to the bookmark managemnt page and click generate PQ then set it to run once and check the day of the week you want it to arrive at your email.

Both .loc and .gpx files are text files that can be opened with Wordpad or Notepad. A .loc file is a "location" file that containes the name and location of the cache. A .gpx file contains a lot more information than just the location .... pretty much all the info on the cache page without the graphics. "Graphics Purged eXchange" is what I like to call it. You can not really "convert" one to another and if you could it would only be a .gpx converted to a .loc. That is as simple as I can make it! :D ImpalaBob

Both .loc and .gpx files are text files that can be opened with Wordpad or Notepad. A .loc file is a "location" file that containes the name and location of the cache. A .gpx file contains a lot more information than just the location .... pretty much all the info on the cache page without the graphics. "Graphics Purged eXchange" is what I like to call it. You can not really "convert" one to another and if you could it would only be a .gpx converted to a .loc. That is as simple as I can make it! :D ImpalaBob

I actually have converted .loc's to a gpx. And it works :lol: But of course the new .gpx won't contain all the information you'd normally expect in one, most notably hints. But I suppose I'm just repeating what the OP said. I dunno, consider getting GSAK?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Thank you all for the assistance. There still exists an issue where I am not given .gpx as an option to save either from pocket querries or if I search a cache and all surrounding caches that I havent found and try to download them. So far it seems the best answer is to try a different interface program (GSAK)[:P]

Thank you all for the assistance. There still exists an issue where I am not given .gpx as an option to save either from pocket querries or if I search a cache and all surrounding caches that I havent found and try to download them. So far it seems the best answer is to try a different interface program (GSAK)[:laughing:]

The problem is you're trying to download the caches from the results of the "preview" link. That'll only give you .loc files. You need to select a day for the query to run, and wait for it to show up in your e-mail.