Interpretation needed

Jake39

This might be a moot question but if a "Category" stipulates it has to be for 'America' do we automatically assume that they mean U.S.A.?

Would 'Canada' as well as 'Mexico' not qualify under 'America' or would they be under "North America" ?

In my mind if it says America with no other qualifier then it goes from Canada to Chile and Argentina.

I'm not sure....

America

seems the singular is the USA and plural would be the continents.

If this in regards to the Boy scout camps category, it lists that it is for Boy Scouts of America camps. The BSA is an organization for boys from the USA only.

See Boy Scouts of America

However, I did see that the BSA does potentially have some camps outside of the USA, specifically Canada.

If the one you wanted to list was a BSA camp, then try to find some info to back that up. I think we would approve it.

Agree with CHI and BQ has the point spot on.

We use slang versions and shorten everything in the USA culture, but we as a WM community should edit our selves and present a clear picture.

The BSA camps issue was hot, as it specified that particular organizations' camps (USA), and Scouts Canada used those same initials from 1914 through at least 1946, so there are some camps that probably should be included. Funny thing is that BSA has/had camps in England, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Guam, PR, Italy, Greece, Spain, Phillipines, and S.Korea....

This might be a moot question but if a "Category" stipulates it has to be for 'America' do we automatically assume that they mean U.S.A.?

Would 'Canada' as well as 'Mexico' not qualify under 'America' or would they be under "North America" ?

Sure, geographically speaking we have No, Central and So America, but the term American is applied in many different ways, depending on one's location. We in the United States of America do use the term to refer just to our country even thought we are aware of the other Americas. But, people in other parts of the world use American in the same way -- to refer to the U.S.A.

In South America, for instance, they play futbol, and refer to the US game as futbol Americano, not Norteamericano. So, context is key.

As for Waymarking categories, I prefer that we be as clear as possible and use U.S., rather than American, if the category is specifically for one country. I think this is also important for consistency and uniformity so that we don't have some US categories and some American categories.