How to make your own TOPO Map?

beautyisgod

So far i went through this site provided by our member

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

now i did download the:

EM2TOPO software and the IDL virutal machine and also the 3dem...completed both of three of them...i installed the IDL VM already and plus the EM2TOPO...

there is just too too too much of reading on that page: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

Here's the steps:

1. Download digital elevation data from USGS "Seamless".

2. Convert to contours using DEM2TOPO.

3. Edit map layers and zoom levels using MAPEDIT.

4. Download stream data from USGS "NHD" and import into your map.

5. Convert your map to a Garmin compatible map using cGPSMAPPER.

6. Create a preview for MapSource using cGPSMAPPER.

7. Upload to your GPSr (using SendMap, MapSource, or memory card).

I couldnt get into the #1

So far i went through this site provided by our member

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

now i did download the:

EM2TOPO software and the IDL virutal machine and also the 3dem...completed both of three of them...i installed the IDL VM already and plus the EM2TOPO...

there is just too too too much of reading on that page: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

Here's the steps:

1. Download digital elevation data from USGS "Seamless".

2. Convert to contours using DEM2TOPO.

3. Edit map layers and zoom levels using MAPEDIT.

4. Download stream data from USGS "NHD" and import into your map.

5. Convert your map to a Garmin compatible map using cGPSMAPPER.

6. Create a preview for MapSource using cGPSMAPPER.

7. Upload to your GPSr (using SendMap, MapSource, or memory card).

I couldnt get into the #1

What do you mean you couldn't get into #1? If you are running XP SP2 make sure to go to FAQ on the seamless website and allow downloads and make it a trusted site. I just checked and it was down to maintance but is back up and should be running normal by 10AM Friday. It is usually good to go.

yes it is down for now...but what should i do in the meantime? i also went through the http://www.geobase.ca/ i did registered with the site...but how do i go about next step? dont know where to go after i registered...is this the right site to be? lol i dont know...just too many sites i need to visit and READ which i have really no time for it, but will try

For Canada I tried to go to the usgs site but I couldn't get data. I did go to the geobase.ca and had luck though!! Go to the home page and click on the data link. Go to Digital Elevation Data link. Then click on download data, click the area and type either 1:50,000 or 1:250,000. Once you download this then pick up on the website I gave you with step Convert the raw GeoTiff elevation data to contours using DEM2TOPO except you have it nice and don't have a geotiff file you have dem files which work the same way. I downloaded some data and it looks like for each little section you get two DMEM files which when combined create the region you originally downloaded.

I downloaded 300 mb of data at work today only to find when I got home that I forgot to change the format to GeoTiff format. UUUUGGGGHHHH!

sc1093ss.gif

That stinks. Words of wisdom though is to start small. I have found best when I download data and the bottom of the page where you make it 1/3 and geotiff I use the 50mb filter so it keeps the files under this size. The are much easier to work with then. Maybe even for the first time keep it under 25mb.

do i need to download: GPSMapEdit 1.0 (update 31.0)??? if i already have mapsource from garmin? not sure...just asking to make sure i should have all the appropriate programs first

To get started you need these programs.

-DEM2TOPO from: http://people.uleth.ca/~brad.gom/dem2topo/index.htm.

Dem2Topo converts Geotiff files and Dem(for Canada) into mp files

-IDL Virtual Machine (IDL VM) from: http://www.rsinc.com.

IDL helps run DEM2TOP

-GPSMapEdit from www.geopainting.com.

GPSMapEdit is the program to edit the mp file that DEM2TOPO creates

-cGPSMapper from www.cgpsmapper.com

-this program is used to convert the mp file from gpsmapedit into an img file that you gps uses.

For Canada I tried to go to the usgs site but I couldn't get data. I did go to the geobase.ca and had luck though!! Go to the home page and click on the data link. Go to Digital Elevation Data link. Then click on download data, click the area and type either 1:50,000 or 1:250,000. Once you download this then pick up on the website I gave you with step Convert the raw GeoTiff elevation data to contours using DEM2TOPO except you have it nice and don't have a geotiff file you have dem files which work the same way. I downloaded some data and it looks like for each little section you get two DMEM files which when combined create the region you originally downloaded.

"Once you download this then pick up on the website I gave you with step Convert the raw GeoTiff elevation data to contours using DEM2TOPO except you have it nice and don't have a geotiff file you have dem files which work the same way."

i am lost for this part lol how do i convert the raw GeoTiff evelvation? and what is GeoTiff? where do i find it?

"Once you download this then pick up on the website I gave you with step Convert the raw GeoTiff elevation data to contours using DEM2TOPO except you have it nice and don't have a geotiff file you have dem files which work the same way."

i am lost for this part lol how do i convert the raw GeoTiff evelvation? and what is GeoTiff? where do i find it?

Yours is a little different since you download the data from another site. So what you have when you get your data should be some DEM files. This is similar to the GeoTiff file so just assume it is the same thing and go from there.

I downloaded 300 mb of data at work today only to find when I got home that I forgot to change the format to GeoTiff format. UUUUGGGGHHHH!

sc1093ss.gif

That stinks. Words of wisdom though is to start small. I have found best when I download data and the bottom of the page where you make it 1/3 and geotiff I use the 50mb filter so it keeps the files under this size. The are much easier to work with then. Maybe even for the first time keep it under 25mb.

I worked out how I want to do the map panels for my area. I combined the areas for 5 or 6 USGS quad maps per panel and the downloads worked out to be 9 @ about 35 MB each. I used the "Define area by coordinates" feature to get exact coverage. I used an overlap of 1 second. Do you think that will that be a problem? Plus I download the entire hydrography data for NJ. I can't wait to get it working.

sc1093ss.gif

I worked out how I want to do the map panels for my area. I combined the areas for 5 or 6 USGS quad maps per panel and the downloads worked out to be 9 @ about 35 MB each. I used the "Define area by coordinates" feature to get exact coverage. I used an overlap of 1 second. Do you think that will that be a problem? Plus I download the entire hydrography data for NJ. I can't wait to get it working.

Sounds well planned out. The overlap is no problem. I have large areas overlapped with no problems at all. I checked on the gps and it looks as if there is no overlap so I think you should be good to go.

do i need to download: GPSMapEdit 1.0 (update 31.0)??? if i already have mapsource from garmin? not sure...just asking to make sure i should have all the appropriate programs first

To get started you need these programs.

-DEM2TOPO from: http://people.uleth.ca/~brad.gom/dem2topo/index.htm.

Dem2Topo converts Geotiff files and Dem(for Canada) into mp files

-IDL Virtual Machine (IDL VM) from: http://www.rsinc.com.

IDL helps run DEM2TOP

-GPSMapEdit from www.geopainting.com.

GPSMapEdit is the program to edit the mp file that DEM2TOPO creates

-cGPSMapper from www.cgpsmapper.com

-this program is used to convert the mp file from gpsmapedit into an img file that you gps uses.

okay i just want you to know that i HAVE ALL of those softwares you recommend for download...so for now...no problem or missing any software...but which program i should have OPEN FIRST?? i have the dem2topo open...thats all i need right?

and big thanks for all the help :D it is such a BIG HUGE job on your part!

yes it is down for now...but what should i do in the meantime? i also went through the http://www.geobase.ca/ i did registered with the site...but how do i go about next step? dont know where to go after i registered...is this the right site to be? lol i dont know...just too many sites i need to visit and READ which i have really no time for it, but will try

so i think i download some files from the geobase.ca website and when i extra the files...where should i put them in? which directory or folder it should belong to? i still dont know where are the files for toronto for my region

Once you use DEM2TOPO to get your mp file here is what you do. I am going to bed so I won't be able to answer questions until tomorrow but hopefully this helps out.

Here is a quick guide for making transparant topo maps of your trails. I used the website http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm for the know how and just modified a few steps.

1. Convert your GeoTiff files(for US) or DEM files(for Canada) to mp files using DEM2TOPO

2. Open gpsmapedit program then click file open and choose your mp file

3. Click on file then map properties and do the following:

A. change type set to Garmin

B. give the map an 8 digit ID number

C. give the map a name

D. click on the levels tab and hit the insert before tab do this until you have level0= through level5=

E. Change the settings to look like this

Level0=24 bits mapsource zoom=under1.2km

Level1=23 bits mapsource zoom=1.2-3km

Level2=22 bits mapsource zoom=3-8km

Level3=20 bits mapsource zoom=8-12km

Level4=19 bits mapsource zoom=12-30km

Level5=18 bits mapsource zoom=50-120km

F. select the cGPSMapper Tab

G. Check the Map is transparent box, then hit apply

9. Next click on view, then levels and select level 4.

10. Click on the wand tab(create object) and select point

11. Click on your map and create a settlement(less 100) and click ok

12. Next you will flick on file, import and import your water files. It is late so please look on the website for this until I can get a procedure for this.

13. Next I click on view and select level0 and use the cutting feature to cut everything outside of my elevation data. This will get rid of any extra water features.

15. Click on file save map as and save your file as Polish Format which is .mp

16. Click on file export GarminIMG/cgpsmapper.exe(this has to be download prior so look at the website I provided), name your file and save it, then search for the cgpsmapper.exe file that you saved earlier and click on run.

17. Next find your newly created IMG file and change the name to the 8 digit number that you gave the map in 3B

18. Then you can send the image to your gps or mapsource. Look at http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm for setting up mapsource or using another source since it describes it better than I can. Me and GeoBob are working on better instructions for this part but please ask questions if needed.

so i think i download some files from the geobase.ca website and when i extra the files...where should i put them in? which directory or folder it should belong to? i still dont know where are the files for toronto for my region

As for the files put them where ever you want. It doesn't matter where they are until the very end so you are fine. As for the Toronto region not sure about that. Maybe you could just use a small region to learn the process then after you know it the second time will be easier then you can search for the regions you want? Just an idea.

As for the files put them where ever you want. It doesn't matter where they are until the very end so you are fine. As for the Toronto region not sure about that. Maybe you could just use a small region to learn the process then after you know it the second time will be easier then you can search for the regions you want? Just an idea.

ok...i will just try ANY REGION...thanks for all the advises and good night :D

for the dem2topo...i dont know what i did...but when i load the SELECT DEM file(s)...i dont see any map...it is just pitch black blank...cuz i think i did something to the "change color map" on the "options" menu...but i didnt click apply...just cancel after i select the color...how do i go back to default?

Not sure about that. I will check when I get home. In the mean time, when you select the dem file the map screen will go black and it will take a while before it loads the map. Several minutes so give it some time. This might be the problem. Then you set your contour lines and units and then simply hit convert to mp file tab at the bottom of the page.

PS I am working on a step by step procedure of custom topo maps and for transparent trail maps. I will be posting them here in the near future. Hopefully this will help everyone and get more people involve in the process.

Edited by Bus36

is there a way to zoom in and out? and once i create the mp file...where does the file store? in which directory? i have created the mp...but dont know where to go and find it...

So were you able to create an mp file? It will store it in the same folder that contains your DEM files. Let me know if it is still black. If so I am not sure. Did you download and install the IDL driver. If not that might be the problem. Let me know. I am almost done with the instructions.

I downloaded a mapset from geobase.ca and, when I unzipped the file I noticed there were two *.dem files, one having an 'e' at the end (before extention), the second with a 'w'.

What is the difference between the two files?

They simply mean east and west. So the one file you downloaded is split into two. I would try the procedure on the first one then go back to the second one and do it later.

i am here...http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/find.do?produit=cded1

but where or how do i download files for TORONTO area?

go here: http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/topo_metadata/index_e.php

then go to 'clickable map of Canada' and search for your region

The whole GTA region can be found here: http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/cgi-bin/kira_lin.c...m_type=CTI-FORM

Use the numbers from teh table to select your maps in geobase.ca

hope this helps.

Laurentiu

Once you use DEM2TOPO to get your mp file here is what you do. ...

I tried it and, when exporting to img I get an error message saying 'Error E032: Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty.'

What am I doing wrong here?!

I just posted another step by step procedure you might want to look at it. instructions

This thread contains the info. for topo maps. There is another thread for custom track maps which is a little different. So make sure you are using the right directions. I think maybe this is where the error is coming from. Check mine out and try it if you still are having problems let me know and I will help you.

Edited by Bus36

i dont know whats wrong...no matter what...when i load the files...i get dark screen...i have been waiting for a while now...see nothing but darkness

Figured it out. When you click on color options even though you hit cancel it still went to some crazy default. Open up demtop and click on color options and click on #2 GRN-RED-BLU-WHT and accept. It should work fine then.

is there a way to zoom in and out? and once i create the mp file...where does the file store? in which directory? i have created the mp...but dont know where to go and find it...

So were you able to create an mp file? It will store it in the same folder that contains your DEM files. Let me know if it is still black. If so I am not sure. Did you download and install the IDL driver. If not that might be the problem. Let me know. I am almost done with the instructions.

hey BUS36!!!!!!!!!! thanks so much for all the help! really kind of you! so I got your personal message...thanks for the solution and it worked!!! :P

i am here...http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/find.do?produit=cded1

but where or how do i download files for TORONTO area?

go here: http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/topo_metadata/index_e.php

then go to 'clickable map of Canada' and search for your region

The whole GTA region can be found here: http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/cgi-bin/kira_lin.c...m_type=CTI-FORM

Use the numbers from teh table to select your maps in geobase.ca

hope this helps.

Laurentiu

thank you very much! it does indeed help!

How would I do it on paper if I don't own a garmin

What kind of map do you have in mind?

You probably need a mapping program. The one I use is Global Mapper, but it's pretty expensive. You could try by following the tutorial at the start of this thread, but the software doesn't have any printer support, so you'd be limited to screenshots. You'll also need a fast internet connection to download data, and a collection of data sources. Those are listed for the US in the tutorial above.

Edited by seldom_sn