Does this brake any of the cache rules.

Lost Brews

I am a home brewer, meaning i make my own beer, wine, and soda. I am wanting to find more people that brew in my area or even who might be interested. If i were to put out a cache that was about home brewing would it be braking any rules. Also if i set up an even cache where it was an intro to home brewing and also included caching. would that be against the rules. your imput please.

Cheers!

Lost Brews

I don't think there would be a problem with an "informational" type cache. However, the cache placement rules state:

"What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache. "

So no brew in the caches. It probably wouldn't keep to well anyway, right?

I don't see a problem with any of it, as long as you're not putting beer in caches. However, certificates redeemable for beer by dropping by your house would be fine, and appreciated by some.

As for the event, again I don't see a problem, but for those non-drinkers, or those who may wish to bring children and such, you should have something set up for them to do too.

What i was thinking as something you could take from the cache was a small print out oragami book that i know how to make with directions on how to make beer as well as soda. It isn't just a cache about making beer but also making soda. I remember making soda with my dad when I was younger it was a fun to make things that were a little different. when it comes to an event i would also include soda making. once again let me know what you think.

I don't see a problem with any of it, as long as you're not putting beer in caches. However, certificates redeemable for beer by dropping by your house would be fine, and appreciated by some.

As for the event, again I don't see a problem, but for those non-drinkers, or those who may wish to bring children and such, you should have something set up for them to do too.

Any suggestions.

It depends on how you present it. If you go overboard in the text about the joys of home brewing it may be construed as an agenda and not allowed.

But if you just put some items inside like printed beer recipes, maybe a book like "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing", gift certificates to a home brew supply source and give it a name like "Hopping Mad" then I think its fine.

Edited by briansnat

It depends on how you present it. If you go overboard in the text about the joys of home brewing it may be construed as an agenda and not allowed.

But if you just put some items inside like printed beer recipes, maybe a book like "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing", gift certificates to a home brew supply source and give it a name like "Hopping Mad" then I think its fine.

I was thinking a book on brewing for a FTF, and then the little printed book would have the steps and one or two recipies.

I'm also a home brewer, so I'm all for it. Family caches are nice, but do all caches have to be toys for kids? There's no reason why adults can't share recipes or beer memorabilia. I commonly trade trinkets that I gather from beer festivals, (key chains, bottle openers, etc.) I don't see why it would be a problem.

I am a home brewer also. I think a beer theme cache would be great. Just state in the description that the cache is beer theme and parents with small children will have the choice of taking their children to that cache or not. Of course there can be no beer in the cache.

We all like sharing our special concotions. Whether it be a great BBQ sauce or our own homemade beer. The best way to share the beer with other geocachers would be to join a local geocaching club. If there is not one then start one. Yall could have get togethers and of course you can supply some beer for it.

The best brew I ever made was with apple juice. Wish I could have shared it with more people myself.