Would you look for a cache in here?

scorpionkill

Found a very old (1780's) mine that is about 100 feet long (Horizontal shaft into the side of a hill) the entrance is really small now, you have to go in on your back and you need to squat for the first 20 feet while you get past some debris, but after that it opens up where you can stand up. Bats do live in this mine and I encountered a few while checking this place out. I am thinking of putting a cache in here. Would you enter this for it?

100_3340.jpg

100_3354.jpg

100_3353.jpg

100_3345.jpg

100_3352.jpg

100_3347.jpg

It is very hard to tell from this picture what type of mine this is. All mines are very dangerous and have a ton of hazards both seen and unseen in them. Everything from black damp to hanging roof falls. A mine this old would have even more. I'm sure the roof supports (if any) are very weak and not doing what they were supposed to when they were put it.

Bats are very sensitive this time of year to tempature changes. Any disruptions to them could kill them if not now, in the spring. No one should do anything to disturb bats this time of year.

Also, I would highly recommend reading over MSHA's Stay Out - Stay Alive information and you can decide if you want to put a cache here. It can be found at www.msha.gov

Would I find a cache there? Probably yes. Inside the mine? Probably no.

It is very hard to tell from this picture what type of mine this is. All mines are very dangerous and have a ton of hazards both seen and unseen in them. Everything from black damp to hanging roof falls. A mine this old would have even more. I'm sure the roof supports (if any) are very weak and not doing what they were supposed to when they were put it.

Bats are very sensitive this time of year to tempature changes. Any disruptions to them could kill them if not now, in the spring. No one should do anything to disturb bats this time of year.

Also, I would highly recommend reading over MSHA's Stay Out - Stay Alive information and you can decide if you want to put a cache here. It can be found at www.msha.gov

Would I find a cache there? Probably yes. Inside the mine? Probably no.

I have yet to go all the way inside this mine but know some people who have. It is one shaft about 75-100 feet long in solid rock (granite, I beleive). This thing has been around for 200 + years.

I am not saying it isn't dangerous, however the mine is pretty narrow and I think given it's age has stood the test of time pretty well. The bat issue is the only thing that bothers me about this mine. I don't want the bat's to be awoken during their hybernation so I may not put the cache in there unless you could limit it to a certain time of year. It is a pretty cool/sppoky place though.

I went after this cache that was deep inside a mine. It is one of my top 10 favorite caches ever. That's the opening to my right in the photo.

94b5834f-f263-497c-be5f-6113f3f62997.jpg

Here it is inside looking out. I'm quite claustrobic so it took two trips and some nerve to go after it. You have to crawl on your hands and knees inside because its quite narrow and the cache is about 100 feet back.

228da812-17b9-4d94-bc66-759ad976aa68.jpg

I also own a cache in a mine, but its a lot more roomy than the above one. In fact its name is Roomy Mine.

Here is the wife entering:

c4d635d0-f94f-4711-adde-bafe3a30589f.jpg

At least you can stand in this one.

c76afdb0-096f-4426-8806-abc110cfa755.jpg

So yes, if it was safe to go inside, I certainly would go after a cache in one. It would have to be cut into bedrock like these. A mine supported by 100 year old rotting timbers would not be on my to do list.

Actually my main concern would be the bats. Hibernating bats can die if disturbed. I've taken to disabling my mine cache while the bats are hibernating. There aren't many in there, but some are endangered.

Edited by briansnat

I'm not as brave as everyone else here. Ain't no way I'm crawling in there! Animals like places like that. Mean animals. I would be to terrified that I might run into a bear or a cougar on his or her way out. :D

El Diablo

That's in the back of my mind every time I do a maint visit for my mine cache. I walk very gingerly and shine the light well ahead, but there is a blind corner right at the end. I always stop dead then carefully peak around to make sure mama bear isn't taking a nap in there.

Edited by briansnat

I have yet to go all the way inside this mine but know some people who have. It is one shaft about 75-100 feet long in solid rock (granite, I beleive). This thing has been around for 200 + years.

I am not saying it isn't dangerous, however the mine is pretty narrow and I think given it's age has stood the test of time pretty well. The bat issue is the only thing that bothers me about this mine. I don't want the bat's to be awoken during their hybernation so I may not put the cache in there unless you could limit it to a certain time of year. It is a pretty cool/sppoky place though.

You don't seem like a reckless guy, so after you explore the mine and find a good place to hide a cache, I'll likely go in there. If something happens to me inside, it's my fault for showing up. :D

I probably would have before, but not after I read the story of Ted the Caver! :D

:D

Dang that was long. :D

Not inclined to read the long story but did Ted the Caver end up as Ted the Cadaver?

I must return. If I am ever to exit the overworld and enter the subterranean world of a cave, I must now return. I no longer feel that I have a choice. I MUST return.

For my family and friends who are reading this I say, Be at peace. I will conquer this cave. Then I will return and update this web site immediately. I will include any photo's we take in the cave today, and if you stop by the house I will show you the video I will have. I expect to be home later tonight, or tomorrow at the latest.

See all of you soon, with a lot of answers! Love, Ted

:D

I'm not as brave as everyone else here. Ain't no way I'm crawling in there! Animals like places like that. Mean animals. I would be to terrified that I might run into a bear or a cougar on his or her way out. :D

El Diablo

Me too, only my fear is worse: I'm on my way out and they are on their way in. :D:D:D

I would definitely attempt it!

In western NC there is a cache called Devil's Cauldron, which isn't a cave so much as an opening between a bunch of rocks. But it is fun and relatively accessible to folks of all ages. The link is to the cache's gallery.

That "Ted" story would be a great pre requisite read before attempting this cave cache I plan to put in this mine. LOl

I was reading the story of Ted the Caver and just as I was getting to the good part, the link broke and I can't find out what happen to poor old Ted. Anyone know where I can find the rest of the story?

Thanks!

The link is broken on purpose. It's meant to lead you to believe that Ted,B or Joe did not return from the cave on the last trip.

El Diablo

I was reading the story of Ted the Caver and just as I was getting to the good part, the link broke and I can't find out what happen to poor old Ted. Anyone know where I can find the rest of the story?

Thanks!

The link is broken on purpose. It's meant to lead you to believe that Ted,B or Joe did not return from the cave on the last trip.

El Diablo

What really haapened to Ted is simple, Mystery Cave lies under area 51, with Teds entrance just outside the fence. He broke into their ventilation shaft, they scared him off but he kept returning, so on the final trip they "disappeared" him, and erased the last page from the net, thus the broken link. :P

Now that I've told the real ending I will be next... what's that sound? :D:lol:

I would not enter the mine. Not for mine safety reasons, but for the bats.

A couple things to consider. The bat guano (poop) when present in large amounts can be toxic to breath. That isn't my main concern though as everyone knows you cache at your own risk.

My main concern is I wouldn't want to disturb the bats. Most caves around me that have a bat population are protected and only researchers are allowed to enter for the purpose of setting up equipment to monitor the health of the population.

I don't know about your area, but it *might* be illegal to enter this cave although if it is I would *think* something should be posted somewhere nearby.

In any event I wouldn't enter the cave (although I would be sorely tempted to) nor would I put a cache in one because some people wouldn't be able to resist screwing with the bats and I wouldn't want to be responsible for that.

So I wouldn't enter the cave. Not because of safety concerns, but for environmental concerns.

Edited by DaveA
was reading the story of Ted the Caver and just as I was getting to the good part, the link broke and I can't find out what happen to poor old Ted. Anyone know where I can find the rest of the story?

Thanks!

So what happened to Ted the Caver in the end?

That's cruel leaving a story end like that!

It's a fable originally written by Thomas Lera back in 1987.

Too many people in this thread are confusing Mines with Caves.

Edited by Kit Fox

What about filming a really scary scene in a mine like this and doing something like the Blair witch/ted caver story where the cache is themed around trying to find out what happened to the missing mine explorers. The seeker could go in search of the lost tape/DVD in the mine and have to bring a portable DVD player in the mine to watch "what happened". If done well would really freak some people out.

This location would be perfect, with the exception of the bat issue. I really prefer not to endanger these scary looking little buggers. When I crawled into the mine there were a few right there hanging down checking me out. I must admit it does creep you out something heavy.

I'd hunt for such a cache. I enjoy underground caches. In fact, I own a cache that's hidden in a cave. The last one I found in a mine, though, would be fine for even the claustrophobic people. Unfortunately it's disabled now, but will hopefully be back online soon. It's one of the best caches in Pennsylvania...

Sand Quarry

(I'm the guy in the white shirt, and I'm 6' tall, so you can see how completely huge that hole is)

f23c86a3-ad5a-4e97-b47a-41a1df315dbd.jpg

I have no problem going into caves (I've been spelunking on and off for decades) and I've crawled up many a drainpipe to find a cache.

Going into a mine to get a cache, though? No Bleeping Way.

Where I grew up (northern New Mexico and southern Colorado) going into a mine is a good way to commit suicide. The rock has been under pressure for decades and often quite ready to collapse. Wood and timbers are rotten and may give way with little provocation. Not only that but quite often the atmosphere in the mine consists of high concentrations of methane, carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide (and insufficent quantities of oxygen.)

I have no problem going into caves (I've been spelunking on and off for decades) and I've crawled up many a drainpipe to find a cache.

Going into a mine to get a cache, though? No Bleeping Way.

Where I grew up (northern New Mexico and southern Colorado) going into a mine is a good way to commit suicide. The rock has been under pressure for decades and often quite ready to collapse. Wood and timbers are rotten and may give way with little provocation. Not only that but quite often the atmosphere in the mine consists of high concentrations of methane, carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide (and insufficent quantities of oxygen.)

Mines differ in regions. The mines here are cut into solid bedrock, there are no rotten timbers because no timbers are needed or used. They are entered regularly and many are noted on park maps and at least one has park signs pointing to to it with a sign outside that says keep out from 9/1 - 3/31 due to hibernating bats.

There is even a book distributed in many local outdoors stores and by local hiking and historical orgainizations that give directions to these mines.

Edited by briansnat