Pole Savvy

I recently tried to post a new virtual cache and realized it was impossible - how about a category I would call pole savvy for poles (telephone, railroad markers poles, sign poles or whatever) - I had made up 3 questions about the pole for the hunter to receive credit

Every telephone, power pole, railroad pole have numbers on them. Why would I want to send someone to find a pole? It was virtual caches like this that caused the "crackdown" and "wow" to be required for virtual caches. Sorry nothing savvy about poles.

If you want to do something with the numbers on a pole incorporate the numbers in figuring out a leg for a multicache.

Edited by BruceS

I recently tried to post a new virtual cache and realized it was impossible - how about a category I would call pole savvy for poles (telephone, railroad markers poles, sign poles or whatever) - I had made up 3 questions about the pole for the hunter to receive credit

Darn you are some real slashers here - in my hiking I see poles all the time that do not appear to have identifiers (maybe somewhere the are tiny demarkations) but I am talking about poles that may have something different about them (can be seen with the naked eye - not by a magnifying glass or having to dig up the pole) This pole i had tried to use was along a railroad track and there were numerous poles along the line but in the couple of miles along this dirt road this pole with its sign was unusual - - you guys don't have to be so critical - why not take my idea and help me expand it or tweak it to something positive - - I would be happy to hear further ideas

Darn you are some real slashers here - in my hiking I see poles all the time that do not appear to have identifiers (maybe somewhere the are tiny demarkations) but I am talking about poles that may have something different about them (can be seen with the naked eye - not by a magnifying glass or having to dig up the pole) This pole i had tried to use was along a railroad track and there were numerous poles along the line but in the couple of miles along this dirt road this pole with its sign was unusual - - you guys don't have to be so critical - why not take my idea and help me expand it or tweak it to something positive - - I would be happy to hear further ideas

Every telephone, power pole, railroad pole have numbers on them. Why would I want to send someone to find a pole? It was virtual caches like this that caused the "crackdown" and "wow" to be required for virtual caches. Sorry nothing savvy about poles.

If you want to do something with the numbers on a pole incorporate the numbers in figuring out a leg for a multicache.

why would we send anyone to search for anything we look for in geocaching?? sorry you hate poles - if I knew more about you I could probably say something negative about your ideas but I don't operate that way - do you just look for the negative in anyone else's ideas? Sure wish I could "WoW" you. Not.

sherry777 Posted Today, 10:44 AM

---if I knew more about you I could probably say something negative about your ideas but I don't operate that way - do you just look for the negative in anyone else's ideas? Sure wish I could "WoW" you. Not.

Now, now -- easy there! We are not slamming you at all :P

If you went back the past year and checked the previous 'Forums' you'd find a lot of ideas get "slammed" here. It is never personal, only critiques of some ideas, as some get proposed, pass 'Peer Review' and end up as a "Category" anyway, even with some negativity in the posts. :laughing:

Give us a good argument for your proposal (facts) and we might just warm up to it.

why would we send anyone to search for anything we look for in geocaching?? sorry you hate poles - if I knew more about you I could probably say something negative about your ideas but I don't operate that way - do you just look for the negative in anyone else's ideas? Sure wish I could "WoW" you. Not.

I think if you reread what I said you will see I suggested a way for you to use the pole. I suggested you use it as a leg of a multicache. I did not suggest you need to "Wow" anyone, I was informing you of some of the history of virtual caches. Virtual caches in the beginning sent the cacher to a great place to see but often a place that a hidden cache could not placed. Then people started listing virtual caches for anything including power poles asking the finder to report about the numbers. It was because of this type of virtual along with others that the virtual cache became more strict and had to have a "Wow" factor. Then they were eliminated completely except for those already existing. I personally have nothing against poles, coming from a family with several electrical engineers (power distribution), I know poles serve a great purpose however I don't want to see a category of poles. If you check most will have some type of numbering, big or small they are they are numbered.

No I don't look at the negative of everyones ideas for categories, I think if you check around the categories you will see I am an officer in more than 30. I have also submitted waymarks in over 100 categories. However, I will be negative against a category that I don't think should be listed as a category. Some get listed and some don't.

Edited by BruceS

It can be a little difficult to know how to take people in the Forums. Or during Peer Review for that matter.

One thing to consider is that you know exactly what you are looking for, but it might be hard to express. That's where the confusion comes in.

When I sent one of mine to Peer Review... I thought it was a cake walk. Nope! Peer Review turned it down because they felt it was too vague. I spent 3 more weeks trying to express what I was looking for, and I'm still not 100% happy with it.

So, when it comes to a category, whether it is about 'pole numbers' or otherwise, you have to be clear about your intentions and expectations.

There are a lot of categories out there that don't interest a lot ofpeople, but they are still presented as interesting to some people. If you are interested in your idea, then you have to express it in a way that people can see the value in it even if they have no interest. Market it and show why it would be a good one.

Besides, some of the best ideas are the ones we fight for the longest and hardest.

:blink: The Blue Quasar

One thing to consider is that you know exactly what you are looking for, but it might be hard to express. That's where the confusion comes in.. ... So, when it comes to a category, whether it is about 'pole numbers' or otherwise, you have to be clear about your intentions and expectations.

G'day

I agree with Blue Qusaer. We are not mind readers, well at least I am not. My response was in direct response to what was put up as a suggested category ... poles with numbers on them. If something else was meant or there was more to it, then it should have been spelt out. If the response shows as it did in this case that the idea was not clear to the receivers, it is smarter to respond with more detail, not bag people becuase they don't like what was put up! Hell the responders did not put up the idea!

You need peer review approval to get things up ... might be an idea to work with people.

Regards

Andrew

My suggetion to the op is to repost some more ideas, about the proposal. Also read over some more Categories. This is not exactly like the virtuals on gc.com. A catagory is more similar to a locationless cache, which have not been on gc.com for quite awhile. IT is the waymark that is similar to the virtual you speak of. (ANd you proposed a Catagory) You said you have created some questions for logging a find. ( It does not work this way.) Categories generally do not ask questions for finders like the virtuals did. Someone reading the Category would create a waymark,by filling in the variables of the Category. Then finders then come find the waymark ( usually posting a photo and description, but as of now there is is not away to put these variables into the find of the waymark. (IT usually is a log and photo.) And the owner of the waymark; not the Category group who accept the find or decline the visit. Creating extra work for people who create the waymark to verify visits is not generally done. As it could generate tons of emails not to the group but to the waymark owner. ( I hope I have explained this so that you understand)

List of variables: ( you can choose from these, when creating the Category)

Radio button list

Check box

Drop down box

Short text box

Multi line box

Simple date

Simple time

Start date/finish

Start time/finish

Additional coords

Textbox for Decimal #

Textbox for Non Decimal 3

Rating

Textbox for currency

Web address

Physical address

ISBN #

What you have described is very similar to a mystery cache or a multi as BruceS suggested and Jake39 posted.

Maybe these poles would make a catagory

http://www.weirdnj.com/stories/_roadside06.asp

Edited by chstress53