This a Bit of a Rant

Ok now before you go looking for a rope to hang me,i will explain.Geo caching is fun and the wife and i do it together,great huh? But we do not enjoy opening a cache and finding 2.00's worth of junk,not only that but used junk...Now i am not anti kids not by any means in fact the more the merrier but some caches should be for adults (no sexual content) but nice things in a cache.So why not have them labeled adult or Kids caches?And please do not tell me it would be a pain in the but itm could be done at the time of the cach publishing.

When i hide a cache at over 6000 feet in the mountains of Idaho (my first cache has still not been found) i am NOT intending it for kids AND if there are kids going to it they will have to have adults with them to get them there...so they can take responsibility for their kids to not abuse anything in the cache and the adults can get a nice gift from the cache... your thoughts please.. thank you.

Yeah, there is NOTHING I could find inside a cache that I couldn't get elsewhere by myself if I really wanted it. Anyone who earns a half-decent salary could also buy some nice "swag" with the money you would have earned if you had spent that hour working instead of searching for the cache.

I cache for the social aspects and for the thrill of the hunt. To get me outside enjoying nature and getting exercise.

I know at least one father who loves caching because it is a great family activity and because it gets his kids out. Ask if they want to go for a walk, "Naaah". Ask if they want to go treasure hunting: "Sure!!!" I see picture after picture of families, couples, friends, enjoying an afternoon together. Surely that's worth more than anything you'd find in a tupperware box in the woods.

If those aren't where your priorities lie, then either geocaching is not for you, or you will be frequently disappointed.

Edited by GreyingJay

Since you've only been caching for a couple of months, I think you still have a bit of an inkling that these are treasure chests out there. I think in a couple of more months, you'll be satisfied with just signing the log and either taking nothing and leaving nothing or taking nothing and leaving a few choice items.

It took me about 3 months or so before I got tired of trading for trinkets that I wasn't really interested in anyway and now I look for TBs and coins to move about and am satisfied with just signing the log. I'll still carry a few things like hand warmers (in the winter) and a few nice trinkets, just in case I find something in a cache that I just can't do without (hasn't happened yet).

While I'm not going to be as rude as ADKcache....

My whole outlook on this is if it's your cache, put what you want in it... Some people are here for the treasure, other's for the adventure, others for many other reasons... If you are here for just the treasure, maybe caching isn't for you. With my wife and I, I could care less about what's in the cache. I just love finding new places and finding caches in these places. My wife on the other hand LOVES the treasure. She's a Goonies fan and just loves this stuff. She sometimes gets disappointed in kids caches too, but IMHO, people can put whatever they like in their caches. I just get bummed when it looks like (or sounds like after reading the logs) when people take the good stuff and leave kiddish toys...

What can you do about it? Try not to let what others put in caches bother you. Try to figure out which caches and which hiders have good things for you in it. You've also already taken the best step though. Placing a good cache with fun good stuff in it is a great way to lead by example... Hopefully others will enjoy yours more and do the same.

Ben

I like to think that sometimes my commentary has an edge. I really don't mean to be rude. I find it very tiring when people complain.

It seems like there is a large, vocal segment of people who like to gripe about how no one does anything for them and everyone else should take responsibility. I have little patience for people that whine about things and have nothing to offer to alleviate the situation that has their collective panties in a bunch.

What's worse is that this is another of the topics that have been discussed into the ground in multiple posts. There are probably five general themes here that are chewed on ad nauseam.

That's why I have an edge. Grow up people!

:bad: Ah, Trinket's that's what I need more of. Seriously now, we cache for the thrill of the hunt and the challenge of being able to find the dadgum thing. I think going to new out of the way places that we would never see if not for Geocaching is as important to us as the find IMHO. So many times we take nothing and leave nothing and other times we only leave something. We have seen Waterfalls, caves, forests so deep & dark, ocean views I could go on and on. Swag is nice even if it's nice swag, but for us it is really of little importance, it's the getting there that is the enjoyment for us. Always remember getting there is half the fun.

Happy Caching, Jeff of Barefoot One & Wench

I think many caches with trinkets are aimed at kids because they're the ones most likely to need a reward for finding the cache. Most adults realize that whatevers in the box probably wasn't the point of the cache, and if they really want something they could go buy it themselves (and get in their favorite color or whatever too!).

However, if you want to encourage more adult stuff (minding the forbidden stuff of course), keep doing what your doing. When you visit caches, take out one used kids toy and put in some cool 'adult' thing. And when you place caches put lots of adult stuff in them.

I like to think that sometimes my commentary has an edge. I really don't mean to be rude. I find it very tiring when people complain.

Yeah, I don't want to be a jerk either, and I know sarcasm is very hard to detect on forums. I just feel that (unless you know these people) things can be said in a way that conveys your point, but isn't mean spirited. I agree people complaining gets old, but you don't have to read it or post about it right? Not trying to call you out too much, just making a point.

Opinions are like, well you know the rest. :D

I respect both arguments and don't really care what's in the cache as long as it isn't junk, and by junk I don't mean something I don't like but rather broken things. We've seen toy dolls with arms, legs and heads missing, a broken caster from a bed frame, toy cars, trucks and motorcycles with the wheels missing and even lids to soft drinks (and they weren't the type with winning codes inside.

It seems like there is a large, vocal segment of people who like to gripe about how no one does anything for them and everyone else should take responsibility. I have little patience for people that whine about things and have nothing to offer to alleviate the situation that has their collective panties in a bunch.

What's worse is that this is another of the topics that have been discussed into the ground in multiple posts. There are probably five general themes here that are chewed on ad nauseam.

Ok first off lets set some ground rules and not turn this into a flame contest or (something), ADK's attitude is a great example of "be part of the solution or part of the problem" and it is part of the problem all i read was complaining about someone else complaining HMMM who needs to grow up? Now back to the subject...whatever reason you geo cache is yours and you can not make other people do it like you want everyone must have their own reason and that is the beauty of it.

I do not have any interest in walking around my neigborhood with a GPS and saying oh look what i found,on the other hand i do enjoy hiking in the wilderness or in the back country and using a GPS to find stuff,and i like to reward other people who are tough enough to find what i hide,now is there a problem with that?... Seems alot of people use geo caching as a excuse to say they are exercising ...lol well if your kids or yourself need a excuse to exercise then don't use Geo caching as it please...

My point was to say that there is no reason that there can not be adult oriented caches and kids caches ,or cooking caches or whatever we are only limited by ourselves... the reason for this post was that i hid a new cache and in it for the first finder i had a collectors edition Belt buckle knife,the cache is clearly in a place where no kid will ever get (without parents) and i also clearly stated in the cache discription it was in there and for adults to watch kids IF they were there and my cache got disabled till it is removed and to me that is ridiculas...so in other words i did not just put it in there and hide it i clearly stated it was there i was honest about it and because there is a rule to protect kids it is disabled...

Also i am not a child i am 56 years old and been in the woods as a guide and back country horseman for over 30 years i do not need a GPS it is just fun and life is supposed to be fun..

(edited by moderator)

Edited by mtn-man

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

When i hide a cache at over 6000 feet in the mountains of Idaho (my first cache has still not been found) i am NOT intending it for kids AND if there are kids going to it they will have to have adults with them to get them there...so they can take responsibility for their kids to not abuse anything in the cache and the adults can get a nice gift from the cache... your thoughts please.. thank you.

After about 10 finds (maybe less) even that cache will have nothing but broken McToys, golf balls, and a few pretty rocks. It can't be avoided.

Ok now before you go looking for a rope to hang me,i will explain.Geo caching is fun and the wife and i do it together,great huh? But we do not enjoy opening a cache and finding 2.00's worth of junk,not only that but used junk...Now i am not anti kids not by any means in fact the more the merrier but some caches should be for adults (no sexual content) but nice things in a cache.So why not have them labeled adult or Kids caches?And please do not tell me it would be a pain in the but itm could be done at the time of the cach publishing.

I would some what agree with you I am not a big fan of going to a cache and finding a bunch of rusted junk. I don't think thought that the caches should be labled in a manner ADULTS/KIDS. The sollution I have been able to come up with is to put only things in a cache that could be used for travel bugs. When I post a cache I try and specify that the only things i would like to see traded in the cache are things to make Tb's. Not every pays attention to that rule but I do go out and try to maintain the cache and keep it clutter free. In this was you are making it so that the things traded are of a little higher quality. Since I have started this I feel the quality of things i find in my area have gone up and i have seen more TB's moving through the area. The other good thing that has help is some more experienced cacher have moved to the area or come out of the woodwork and the cache quality in the area has gone up as well as what is in the cache.

Cheers!

I would some what agree with you I am not a big fan of going to a cache and finding a bunch of rusted junk. I don't think thought that the caches should be labled in a manner ADULTS/KIDS. The sollution I have been able to come up with is to put only things in a cache that could be used for travel bugs. When I post a cache I try and specify that the only things i would like to see traded in the cache are things to make Tb's. Not every pays attention to that rule but I do go out and try to maintain the cache and keep it clutter free. In this was you are making it so that the things traded are of a little higher quality. Since I have started this I feel the quality of things i find in my area have gone up and i have seen more TB's moving through the area. The other good thing that has help is some more experienced cacher have moved to the area or come out of the woodwork and the cache quality in the area has gone up as well as what is in the cache.

Cheers!

Great Idea and maybe i will just buy a bunch of travel bugs and attach them to some nicer things thanks for the idea..

I add lots of kid friendly stuff, to my caches that are kid friendly. My hike-in caches primarily include items geared towards adults. I mention in the description what kind of items are in the cache, I might even post pics of the cache contents.

My intent is not to entice cachers to find my cache, because it has cool stuff, but to share an awesome location, or a great experience. Geocoins, and Jeep Travel Bugs usually increase the interest to find the caches.

"Half the treasure of geocaching is the hunt. The other half is the find."

I have 62 caches that are from size small to large (the rest are log only). If I was expected to fill each and every cache up with valuable trade items, I wouldn't have placed them in the first place. I cache on a budget, and never hunt caches with the expectation of finding valuable riches.

I, too, feel the pain of opening a cache and seeing a bunch of garbage in it. It isn't like I'm 'shopping' for stuff that I can easily buy myself..... it is more the principle of the whole trading thing. At least people could make the effort to not just throw what really amounts to trash into a cache. Go ahead, leave toys and playthings if you want, but at least wipe the drool and encrusted crud off before you jam it in the cache. Leaving broken, used stuff is just disrespectful, in my opinion. To both the cache owner, and the cachers who follow you.

For instance:

I have lately been making more of an effort to keep the contents of my own caches in a decent state since I don't have the opportunity go caching much lately (and also have no desire to hunt down vast numbers of micros - whole 'nother story). I try to put a variety of items that will appeal to kids and adults, males and females.

Whilst re-stocking one of my caches that gets a lot of finds from out-of-town cachers, I'm am usually somewhat annoyed (if not outright disgusted) by the items I find. Last restock visit, I found a large pocket knife (I confiscated it and replaced it with several smaller items. And somebody left an open, used container of dental floss. With the floss hanging out by 6-7 inches, and with red blotches on the floss. Now that is just flat out gross. What kind of trade is that, could it be a joke? If so, it could really use an explanation label :D They couldn't find anything better to leave than that? Frankly I'd rather see a handful of loose change than contaminated dental products. It makes my cache look bad, and I don't appreciate stuff being in there that I don't even want to touch.

Unfortunately, I don't really see a solution to this sort of problem other than:

1) make all caches small/micros (an even then people manage to mash stupid stuff in, I've seen it done)

2) make regular-sized caches theme caches, ie: theme related trades (much better chance of trades being 'fair' in this case, but somebody somewhere won't read about the cache before hunting it and will still manage to 'mess up')

3) do the best you can yourself to 'clean up' after other cachers who leave garbage and try not to get bent out of shape too badly when you find said garbage

I've done #2, and I'm working on adapting to #3 right now. I ain't easy, but I'm trying real hard. :D

(whew, long-winded rant today)

When i hide a cache at over 6000 feet in the mountains of Idaho (my first cache has still not been found) i am NOT intending it for kids

... your thoughts please.. thank you.

I place caches to please myself and to share a location. I could care less about who actually hunts them. All I care about is if they appreciated the journey and the location I brought them to. I don't give a durn what they thought of the contents or what they traded.

I have several caches at, near, and above 10,000 feet in the Sierras. I've spent wellll in excess of $300 to stock them. The contents have mostly all degraded to McToys and useless crap over the years, but the locations are still unspoiled. I would hope that anyone that would let that ruin the journey to the special places I've shared with them would just continue on down the road and give my caches a pass.

"Failure is a hard pill to swallow until you realize the only failure you can really have in this sport is the failure to enjoy yourself."

TotemLake 4/26/04

My point was to say that there is no reason that there can not be adult oriented caches and kids caches ,or cooking caches or whatever we are only limited by ourselves... the reason for this post was that i hid a new cache and in it for the first finder i had a collectors edition Belt buckle knife, the cache is clearly in a place where no kid will ever get (without parents) and i also clearly stated in the cache discription it was in there and for adults to watch kids IF they were there and my cache got disabled till it is removed and to me that is ridiculas...so in other words i did not just put it in there and hide it i clearly stated it was there i was honest about it and because there is a rule to protect kids it is disabled...

We've both been dissapointed in the lack of a "be responsible for yourself" perspective often displayed lately. It struck us as terribly hypocrisy to allow a 5star terrain cache in an area of rattlesnakes, crumbling ledges and cliffs, but to deny a wind-proof lighter in a cache (even one without any fuel in it). So, realistically, how could we do it? The only answer we've received is that you could leave a voucher to send it in the mail when a confirmation code on the voucher is emailed to the cache owner. It would work, but it's not nearly as exciting as finding something like a pocket knife, wind-proof lighter or flask in a cache. Yes, we know there are a myriad of other interesting things to leave in a cache, but that's not the point. The point seems to be where we draw the line of what's acceptable in a cache. We're all for anything considered outdoor gear. We grew up in a time when pocket knives were still allowed (and common) in schools. It seems the list of "acceptable" gear will continue to shrink annually until only McToys are left and then only if they don't have a hazard to swallow recall thrown at them. :D

I consider trade items to simply be token remembrances of the cache experience, and that is where their value should lie. If someone in the sport for the value of the items found, I'd suggest trading in the GPS for a metal detector.

You forgot to put IMO at the end of your post IMO=In My opinion.because that is all it is your opinion i say man have yours, but allow me to have mine.I respect what you are saying and also understand it but what you think and what i think are two different things,what you take as a rememberence is your business,and what you consider trade items are just that what YOU think...

You assume to know what i think and what i feel by your statement "If someone in the sport for the value of the items found, I'd suggest trading in the GPS for a metal detector." how arrogant is that? I am not in this sport or game or whatever you want to call it for anything of value..BUT i do like to reward people for a good effort and if you come to my home you will get a good meal not a bag of "top ramen noodles"

Speak to the points of the post please,if you want Mctoys and broken junk to represent your caching experience hey good for you but i am looking for a bit more than that. the whole point of where i place my caches is to enjoy the place the quiet and the solitude but it takes certain type of people to go to my caches and i would never expect them to become popular.

so far i have seen some great ideas come from this thread i like the idea of travel bugs only in the cache and i also like the idea of themed caches i see them all the time....If i see someone's cache is dog themed i am not going to go put a doll with one leg in it that would be rude....

We've both been dissapointed in the lack of a "be responsible for yourself" perspective often displayed lately. It struck us as terribly hypocrisy to allow a 5star terrain cache in an area of rattlesnakes, crumbling ledges and cliffs, but to deny a wind-proof lighter in a cache (even one without any fuel in it). So, realistically, how could we do it? The only answer we've received is that you could leave a voucher to send it in the mail when a confirmation code on the voucher is emailed to the cache owner. It would work, but it's not nearly as exciting as finding something like a pocket knife, wind-proof lighter or flask in a cache. Yes, we know there are a myriad of other interesting things to leave in a cache, but that's not the point. The point seems to be where we draw the line of what's acceptable in a cache. We're all for anything considered outdoor gear. We grew up in a time when pocket knives were still allowed (and common) in schools. It seems the list of "acceptable" gear will continue to shrink annually until only McToys are left and then only if they don't have a hazard to swallow recall thrown at them. :D

So, if I understand what you are saying is if gc.com allowed what they currently ban, that would solve the problem, and it's this 'hypocrisy' that is the root of the issue.

I consider trade items to simply be token remembrances of the cache experience, and that is where their value should lie. If someone in the sport for the value of the items found, I'd suggest trading in the GPS for a metal detector.

You forgot to put IMO at the end of your post IMO=In My opinion.because that is all it is your opinion i say man have yours, but allow me to have mine.I respect what you are saying and also understand it but what you think and what i think are two different things,what you take as a rememberence is your business,and what you consider trade items are just that what YOU think...

You assume to know what i think and what i feel by your statement "If someone in the sport for the value of the items found, I'd suggest trading in the GPS for a metal detector." how arrogant is that? I am not in this sport or game or whatever you want to call it for anything of value..BUT i do like to reward people for a good effort and if you come to my home you will get a good meal not a bag of "top ramen noodles"

Speak to the points of the post please,if you want Mctoys and broken junk to represent your caching experience hey good for you but i am looking for a bit more than that. the whole point of where i place my caches is to enjoy the place the quiet and the solitude but it takes certain type of people to go to my caches and i would never expect them to become popular.

so far i have seen some great ideas come from this thread i like the idea of travel bugs only in the cache and i also like the idea of themed caches i see them all the time....If i see someone's cache is dog themed i am not going to go put a doll with one leg in it that would be rude....

Are you saying that you ONLY want people who agree with you to respond? Ummmm, cuz your OP didn't say that. It said:

... your thoughts please..

I happen to agree with Prime Suspect in this case.

Are you saying that you ONLY want people who agree with you to respond? Ummmm, cuz your OP didn't say that. It said:

... your thoughts please..

I happen to agree with Prime Suspect in this case.

Not at all no one has to agree with me ,but in the same vein i do not have to agree with them..and in that vein no one needs to tell me what my values are and i do not need to tell others what theirs are...so what side of the fence are you sitting? So are you saying you agree with him i should trade in my GPS for a metal detector because i want to find stuff worth giving? and more importatly i want to leave stuff worth having .

With the exception of 4 or 5 posters in this thread there sure are alot of folks kinda laying it on thick and that i am wrong or a total noob....well fine i can take that but it does not address the question .."Why can there not be caches for all sorts of folks and children..why?

.......With the exception of 4 or 5 posters in this thread there sure are alot of folks kinda laying it on thick and that i am wrong or a total noob....well fine i can take that but it does not address the question .."Why can there not be caches for all sorts of folks and children..why?

The answer is - there can be. As long as you don't place any of the troublesome items (knives, lighters, etc). You can put whatever you like in your cache and beg plead and cry for traders to be fair and equal.

Unless you are prepared to stand watch over your cache - It may or may not happen.

I always stock my caches nicely - some with as much as $100 worth of stuff. Some of stayed quite good some flucuate between bad and good swag - most degrade over time. All I can really do in the end is make sure I am trading fairly and go out and re-stock mine occasionally. Thats it.

I don't geocache to look for anything of value and I have no expectation of finding anything of value. A nice peice of swag is just icing on the cake. My 4 year old values a new matchbox car as much as gold. That makes me smile. That is all I really need from Geocaching.

"Why can there not be caches for all sorts of folks and children..why?

Because all things as they are, this is how it is. You can have caches for adults and caches for children, but you can't demand swag worth finding. If you find a cache in a remote part of the earth are going to like the trade items? Chances are you won't. Members Only Caches? No, not much of a chance there either.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. It's not about trading, it's about caching.

You want to be happy about swag? Play Santa, that's what I do.

So, if I understand what you are saying is if gc.com allowed what they currently ban, that would solve the problem, and it's this 'hypocrisy' that is the root of the issue.

Yes, of course :D NO, no, no. The issue is not what's allowable in the cache. The issue is why is that it's completely acceptable to put your life and limb in peril of death, but a an empty canister that can be filled with butane later is just too dangerous to put in a cache. I did say though that maybe there are alternate solutions. Maybe you'd care to share yours?

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Yes, of course :D NO, no, no. It is however odd that it's completely acceptable to put your life and limb in peril of death, but a an empty canister that can be filled with butane later is just too dangerous to put in a cache. I did say though that maybe there are alternate solutions. Maybe you'd care to share yours?

Money.

edit: fix'in quotes.

Edited by BlueDeuce

.......With the exception of 4 or 5 posters in this thread there sure are alot of folks kinda laying it on thick and that i am wrong or a total noob....well fine i can take that but it does not address the question .."Why can there not be caches for all sorts of folks and children..why?

The answer is - there can be. As long as you don't place any of the troublesome items (knives, lighters, etc). You can put whatever you like in your cache and beg plead and cry for traders to be fair and equal.

Unless you are prepared to stand watch over your cache - It may or may not happen.

I always stock my caches nicely - some with as much as $100 worth of stuff. Some of stayed quite good some flucuate between bad and good swag - most degrade over time. All I can really do in the end is make sure I am trading fairly and go out and re-stock mine occasionally. Thats it.

I don't geocache to look for anything of value and I have no expectation of finding anything of value. A nice peice of swag is just icing on the cake. My 4 year old values a new matchbox car as much as gold. That makes me smile. That is all I really need from Geocaching.

I am glad you enjoy Geocaching with your son ,doing things together is always great..and that was a very good post.i have a question for you ..

should all caches follow the same guidelines? As a responsible parent i am sure you would not try to take your child to any cache that you did not feel was within his demenor to do...well i feel there are alot of caches out there that children have no business being at, or that their parents should not attempt to take them too...the same way as i will not be trying any underwater caches that require scooba gear sorry i am not qualified...there are plenty of caches just for kids in fact i would do some just for kids because my grandkids would get a kick out of them ..so why not seperate them with a simple check box....then there is no need to say what i or you can put in a cache,and if what is put in is abused then report the offender .

No it seems to me it is more of the same old thing we have today TV's and video games are baby sitters no one wants to be responsible for anything they just go along to get along....that is sad.

Yes, of course :D NO, no, no. It is however odd that it's completely acceptable to put your life and limb in peril of death, but a an empty canister that can be filled with butane later is just too dangerous to put in a cache. I did say though that maybe there are alternate solutions. Maybe you'd care to share yours?

Money.

edit: fix'in quotes.

Money is great to be sure, but I'd rather see something cool in a cache that might be useful out in the wild. Still, you have a point, it's better than broken McToys or garbage :D

No it seems to me it is more of the same old thing we have today TV's and video games are baby sitters no one wants to be responsible for anything they just go along to get along....that is sad.

Well, if I was gc.com and had to choose between people acting responsibly and simply saying no to fireworks/fuel/guns/knives/etc in caches, hmmmmm

And the argument is that you don't like what you find in a cache,

hmmmmmmmmm

I guess I'd have to say, too bad for you.

oops, IMHO.

edited to clarify who I was responding to.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Actually - many land managers only allow geocaching only if we can keep certain items out of caches like knives et al.

Yes - all caches should follow the same guidelines. What my child can do, many cannot. What and where another can go may be totally different. Hard to say but geocaching as a whole should be a 'family friendly" activity. To me that means all ages at all caches possible.

"Why can there not be caches for all sorts of folks and children..why?

Because all things as they are, this is how it is. You can have caches for adults and caches for children, but you can't demand swag worth finding. If you find a cache in a remote part of the earth are going to like the trade items? Chances are you won't. Members Only Caches? No, not much of a chance there either.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. It's not about trading, it's about caching.

You want to be happy about swag? Play Santa, that's what I do.

Somehow people are getting things bass akwards i am not asking anyone to put good stuff in any cache,i am asking why i can NOT put good stuff in MY OWN cache.in the rocky mountains ,not downtown leave it to cleaverville...I am NOT demanding anything! I do not care about what i find in someone elses cache (nice stuff would be a heap site better than the junk in 98%) but that is NOT what this thread is about.

The thread is about why can I not label MY cache as adult oriented and put something nice in it ....why do childrens rules have to apply to a cache that is not on a path and is over 12 miles from any town..

PS The best thing to find in a remote, hard-to-get-to cache is a dry log book. you get to mine it will be dry...:D

Edited by Idaho_Clovisman

....some caches should be for adults (no sexual content)

I think you've pretty much illustrated the answer to this debate right there in your original post. You say there should be caches for everyone... but then you immediately draw your own, personal line. Knives are fine with you, but sex toys aren't. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree-- the point is that a line does have to be drawn and TPTB have drawn it. They just happen to have drawn a more conservative line than you would like. They may have had children in mind when creating this line, but also considered other things like liability, safety and the integrity of the game.

With that said, I'm sure that you can find items that are fun for adults and fit within the guidelines. As far as I'm concerned, though, the logbook is the only thing that really matters :D

Somehow people are getting things bass akwards i am not asking anyone to put good stuff in any cache,i am asking why i can NOT put good stuff in MY OWN cache.

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant caches in general.

I'll fix it.

Well, if I was gc.com and had to choose between you acting responsibly and simply saying no to fireworks/fuel/guns/knives/etc in caches, hmmmmm

Edited by BlueDeuce

Somehow people are getting things bass akwards i am not asking anyone to put good stuff in any cache,i am asking why i can NOT put good stuff in MY OWN cache.in the rocky mountains ,not downtown leave it to cleaverville...I am NOT demanding anything! I do not care about what i find in someone elses cache (nice stuff would be a heap site better than the junk in 98%) but that is NOT what this thread is about.

The thread is about why can I not label MY cache as adult oriented and put something nice in it ....why do childrens rules have to apply to a cache that is not on a path and is over 12 miles from any town..

PS The best thing to find in a remote, hard-to-get-to cache is a dry log book. you get to mine it will be dry...:D

Okay, so this is a rant about cache content guidelines? :D

Because your headline reads:

Cachers need to grow up and take responsibility

Soooo, maybe you should have addressed gc.com in your OP instead of directing your rant a cachers. :D

I like swag. My grandkids like swag. The best item I have found in a cache was a 1942 walking libery half dollar. It was nestled in amongst plastic toys, key rings, cheap carabiners, cartoon erasers, etc. My day was MADE with that find! My two grandkids had a blast trading for erasers, pencil sharpeners, McNugget toys, etc.

Hey! Even a blind hog has to uproot an acorn every once in awhile!! :D

My point was to say that there is no reason that there can not be adult oriented caches and kids caches ,or cooking caches or whatever we are only limited by ourselves...

Here in CT, there are a lot of themed caches just as you mentioned. One we particularly liked was a pin cache where you had to leave a pin and trade a pin. We've also seen caches that say "no kid toys" in them. There are others that require trades of unique coins (money type) from other countries, aviation items and patriotic things. Generally most cachers adhere to what the owner asks. If they don't have anything suitable to leave, they usually don't take anything.

I actually think the idea you suggested of a cooking cache is cool. Take a recipe, leave a recipe. That would be neat.

Soooo, maybe you should have addressed gc.com in your OP instead of directing your rant a cachers. :D

Like i said cachers need to take responsibility,be that for whatever, their kids their picking up garbage ,not leaving any sign of being there whatever if they did, we would not need a guideline that says we are incompetent to handle anything other than harmless toys and junk,

Please do not read into this what is not there,i understand that 90% of the geocachers are urbanites with kids just looking for something fun to do and i support that better than watching tv or playing video games..but that does not mean that the other 10% are irrisponsible and trying to hurt anyone ...after all who has fun being told what and how to do everything..and if someone wanted to have a sexyoy cache and it was labeld clearly as such then that is his right,it would not be for me but i am not going to tell him he can't.

Oh I get it, you want to know why we can't have caches with knives, porn, ammo, alcohol, etc...

Aside from some (probably a lot actually) parks having a problem with boxes of those things around, I think having 'adult' caches would set gc.com up as having to police that the people going to those caches are adults responsiable.

It seems much easier to say, 'you can have whatever you want except A, B, C', then leave it to cache owners to figure out what else that leaves.

Edited by welch

Like i said cachers need to take responsibility,be that for whatever, their kids their picking up garbage ,not leaving any sign of being there whatever if they did, we would not need a guideline that says we are incompetent to handle anything other than harmless toys and junk,

Please do not read into this what is not there,i understand that 90% of the geocachers are urbanites with kids just looking for something fun to do and i support that better than watching tv or playing video games..but that does not mean that the other 10% are irrisponsible and trying to hurt anyone ...after all who has fun being told what and how to do everything..and if someone wanted to have a sexyoy cache and it was labeld clearly as such then that is his right,it would not be for me but i am not going to tell him he can't.

Umm, yeaaaa.

I'd eat food from a cache before I'd consider using a sex toy from a cache. YEEESH! :Where is the hurl emoticon?:

Got a solution for ya.

Hide an "adult" cache and list it yourself on your OWN website. YOU assume all responsibility and no one can tell you what to do.

I have 4 caches out there that I've listed myself & I know a few other cachers who have done the same.

You forgot to put IMO at the end of your post IMO=In My opinion.because that is all it is your opinion

It would be redundant on a paragraph that starts out with "I consider", as that clearly indicates the following material to be a statement of opinion.

i say man have yours, but allow me to have mine.

Disagreeing with your opinion in no way prohibits you from holding that opinion.

Really reaching, and being seriously technical, you can already do this. Simply use the "Not for kids" icon when you edit the attributes to your cache.

I set mine up for everybody, unless I use the above mentioned icon, and thats only due to the fact that I don't want somebodies kid getting hurt on a tough cache I have placed is all.

That is the route i followed i even listed the beltbuckle knife,in the listing as i wanted to be honest about it .and they disabled my cache becaue of the belt buckle knife i had placed in their for the first finder...so i guess i will go pull it and move it a bit and then register with terracachers as they have no such rules...i do not want any kid getting hurt either but i also know that their will be no kids at this cache (without adult help) so be it . the rules seem a bit geared toward the in experienced person,with no leeway for the ones with common sence...to bad