To main or not to tain?

vespax

After doing some routine maintanance on some of my caches in the Cape, I got to thinking. :bad:

How often do cache owners check up on their boxes? I don't mean reading the logs of people, but actually taking the walk out to the location, checking to make sure it is dry, hidden, still there, etc.

I know the WC cachers are good about helping out with clues for their hard to find caches, but more than that, it is the responsibility of the cache owner to do routine check-ups on the caches to make sure they are enjoyable to find for others.

Now, granted, a cache near your house is easier to check on than the cache on the mountain top, but is that an excuse for causing some caches to become litter up in the hills and in the valleys of the world? I think not.

Most of my caches are in areas that I visit somewhat often, so when I am around doing some shopping or what not, I stop by to check on the cache to ensure myself that all is fine.

Who else does or doesn't check on them? What is the opinion of cachers who do or don't? No need to shame people by name here, but perhaps an effort by all to maintain a cache could help all out as well. Just thinking.... which sometimes leads to problems! :bad:

Not me, cos I'm a lazy bastard :D

I even find it a strain to check up On The Street Where I Live. Crossing that road is just too much for me :D

I only check on a cache if there are DNFs, or if I'm in the area.

Which reminds me, I better go check up on A Walk in the Gardens and Hedge your Bets!

Although speaking of checking on caches, I am probably doing Frodos Journey or Paths of the Dead with CNC in 2 or 3 weeks if anyone wants to come along.

I wonder why more people don't help cache owners with maintainance. I like to take along a cache and plastic bags to replace damaged caches, especially if someone reported damage before me. I think it's a great way for cachers and cache owners to work together.

Caches in areas where you have to pay an entrance fee seem harder to maintain, and cache owners tend to not want to check those caches often. This is one place where what I'm talking about really helps.

As for me, maintaining my own caches can be abit of a mission, especially if it takes time out of finding new ones :unsure:

As most of my caches are on the mountain, it isn't always the easiest to do regular checks on them, but it's still nice to do the hike every two or three months to make sure that they're in good shape.

But I agree, it's great when we work together to make sure that the caches we visit get some attention if it's needed!

Also, I'm reluctant to place thousands of caches, because I know that I won't be able to look after them all properly <_<

Also, I'm reluctant to place thousands of caches, because I know that I won't be able to look after them all properly :laughing:

Well said! ;)

We try and "tain" as much as possible but sometimes this does take a while to do. ;) Luckily we have only had a few "problem" caches and are working to make future caches muggle and time resistant. MU HU HA HA HA!

Most of our caches are not tooooo far from where we live, so we do check on them regularly. Of course, we're not talking about the top of Uitkyk or Abdol's Kop! We don't believe those will go anywhere, so those only get checked annually or there abouts.

When one of our caches is reported missing, we do try to get there to check it out as soon as we can, or will post a note on it, if a visit is not possible immediately.

Yesterday we drove out to check on Behind the B in Bonnievale - 2 cachers had not managed to find it in the last two weeks. Being one of those really tiny 'nano's' we were hopeful it would still be in it's hidey hole. But no, sure enough, it was gone. Before we could actually replace it though, we saw something lieing on the ground and there it was! Still with paper clip attached and log sheet and all! How it got there, we will never know, but we are just so pleased it is safe and sound. :D:D

Same same, my attitude is check ASAP after it was reported DNF, which makes me still wonder what happen to "face your fears" of Amyson?! we struggled to find that one and still haven't... As for my mountain top caches I try to service them once anualy if no one has been there for a while... java script:emoticon(':laughing:', 'smid_2') Hellofaview here I come again. With GT-K of our Geo-Teering Multicache I was fortunate enought to rescue the punch 15min before the veldfire raced down the gorge and would have melted it down to a blob of red plastic... which reminds me to replace the punch and finally publish it on the site. But yes I agree regular maintenance is on order. java script:emoticon(':laughing:', 'smid_26')

Well I put my money where my mouth is and on the 14th of November I took a hike up to Helluvaview GCQ3W8 to see if the baboons were first or not... I'm happy to report all is in order and still no FTF ':mad:', 'smid_22' and while I'm online guys, Geoteering GCZ35P the multi-cache is finally available too!!! So everyone that came to the Geoteering event please go and log your find on the cache site too.

I try and 'tain regardless of logs. Obviously a spate of DNF's makes a visit mandatory, but I like to visit my caches where possible to check if things are in order. It doesn't always work out that way.

Despite found it logs, I reckon it's good to try and visit one's own caches. Over time the landscape changes and with continuous finds the cache may not be as well hidden and camo'd as when it was first placed!