6 Coin Set

Launchn

I have recently come back to Geocaching now that the kids are a little older and they enjoy going with me. I have decided to attempt to have some geocoins made.

I am in the process of putting together a unique 6 coin set. I don't want to say too much about it yet, but I would like to find out generally how well it would be received. I'm looking at about 150 sets that would be trackable and the set would have it's own icon.

Is it generally hard to move sets of this size in the market? Before I get too far into it I just wanted to do my homework.

Thanks

Launchn

I can assure you that the design will be interesting. I haven't seen any sets acomplish anything quite like what I want to do. I am just hesitant about saying too much. I do have the set shapes complete, and half of the artwork. The hard part is filling both sides of 6 coins... I am talking to a minter already and once it is conceptually all there, I will definately share more.

I may be a little premature on my info gathering, a better time may be when the artwork is done, however I just wanted to see if it is out of the question to try to move a 6 coin set. Not only is it a lot of $ to make, but people are buying 6 coins at a time too.

Flying Spaghetti Monster is correct. The first thing that comes to my mind is, it'll be too expensive for me. The first thing you want on people's minds is, wow, that's cool, I've gotta have a set. Here's a link to a 6 coin set of Christmas coins, and it looks like sales are going really well. But, his price is way more than reasonable.

2006 Xmas Coins

There's also a 4 coin train set that sold out quickly. It's more expensive, but, it is incredible! If you don't want to give away details, then wait till your artwork is ready to display, then ask for opinions. The response should tell you how well it will sell.

All that said, I'm intrigued!

Lets say you sell your coin at $7 each. A set will cost $42.00. Add S&H and you are at almost $50.00.

Not saying you couldn't move 150 sets, just look at the numbers.

Some people might like one coin in a set, maybe make a set of coins for some people and others to buy individual coins.

Lastly, there are ideas which come up and then you see someone else do the almost same thing. For example, we have samples made of a coin from August. There is another person/company doing a pre-sale of a coin that is like ours. So even if you have an idea today, someone might come out with the idea tomorrow.

Also keep in mind that doing 1 coin, let alone 6, takes quite a bit of work. You might want to start with a single coin first and see how it goes.

In addition to the train set and the Christmas coin set, there have been a few others including my "12 Days of Caching" which is a 4 coin set. As others have said, the key to the success of the multi-coin sets is the design and cost.

... I should add that this is the key to success of any coin :bad:

Edited by crake

Thanks for the input! I realize that this will be alot of work, and that the set will be more expensive due to the number of coins. That is why I wanted to kind of get a feel for the acceptance. My motivation for this is not to "make money" on this coin design, I will probably trade for some sets that are sold out that I want (your train set included ranger). For now I'll probably proceede further and get the artwork done and then post again with that.

Thanks...

Thanks for the input! I realize that this will be alot of work, and that the set will be more expensive due to the number of coins. That is why I wanted to kind of get a feel for the acceptance. My motivation for this is not to "make money" on this coin design, I will probably trade for some sets that are sold out that I want (your train set included ranger). For now I'll probably proceede further and get the artwork done and then post again with that.

Thanks...

thanks for the compliment...

always remember its about our game/sport...

the problem is people tend to forget it..

let me tell u an idea of mine...

A mystery cache using my trainset

4 coins hidden in 4 caches

partial coords to a hidden cache are with each piece..

u need all 4 to find the prize....

I did this with travel bugs.. lumps of coal here in the coal region...

want to try with trains... and maybe would be willing to GIVE a set to caches who would do the same

Just got off the phone with the minter and he is very excited about this design. I hope to have the preliminary designs off to him by the weekend.

Like many have said, one coin takes a lot of work let alone 6. This won't be a quick design process but it will be well worth it in the end.