solar flares

It's kinda funny. I have been in the two-way radio business for many years and one of the things often cited for random unexplained troubles is "sun spots". While there is some validity to it, most times it was just used as an excuse to quit looking for the real problem when it became evident that it would not be easily found and was not likely to recur.

I have noticed on several occasions that my mobile GPSr will suddenly show my location a hundred miles away and return in a second or so. This often results in a "speed warning" with my ground speed showing several huindred MPH- darn good for a Ford Explorer!

I think my "world land speed record" is somehwere around 2500 MPH.

I have noticed that a lot of these anomolies are caused by buildings and bridges which cause random multipath reflections, skewing the internal math.

I have had several that could not be so easily explained. Perhaps it really IS solar flares. I had not considered this.

Thanks for the link.

I have noticed on several occasions that my mobile GPSr will suddenly show my location a hundred miles away and return in a second or so. This often results in a "speed warning" with my ground speed showing several huindred MPH- darn good for a Ford Explorer!

I think my "world land speed record" is somehwere around 2500 MPH.

Yeah yeah, we all know your ramping that Explorer through every one of these you see......

troudeverstargate8cl.jpg

wow too bad I moved away from the boonies, too much light pollution but I remember seeing the northern lights here in southwest Pennsylvania a few years back. Nowhere near as elaborate as the photos I've seen of them up north, more like a subtle red haze shifting slowly in the sky, but still a sight to behold.