Is it possible to manipulate tracks files?

This may sound a little strange but there is a method behind the madness. I want to change a downloaded tracks file so that its start point is different thereby if someone else downloads the file into memory map or mapsource it will apear in a different place on the map. This is going to part of a challenge.

Has anyone got any idea as to how or if this can be done?

"You can edit tracks in mapsource by going to the tracks tab on left, selecting the track you want to edit & rightclick it, and select track properties. you can delete any wandering points, or change their coordinates."

I'm not aware of any way to edit the coordinates of a trackpoint in Mapsource. If you are, please tell us how.

"You can edit tracks in mapsource by going to the tracks tab on left, selecting the track you want to edit & rightclick it, and select track properties. you can delete any wandering points, or change their coordinates."

I'm not aware of any way to edit the coordinates of a trackpoint in Mapsource. If you are, please tell us how.

Just tried and you can't. I tried to cut and paste a track to a different map area and it just reappears where it was created.

I want to create a track of a planned route round some paths ending in a cache, offer it for download in a form that creates it elsewhere on a map. The challenge is to match the track shape and dimension with the footpath patterns. It doesnt look possible by way of manipulation but can anyone think of another way of executing the requirements?

It had been awhile since I used it, I was wrong no you can't edit the coordinates but can cut out the begining or end of a track under the track properties to edit out the start point.

You can however make your own tracks with the track draw feature. it's located under tools menu, track draw. make sure if you want to make a curve you hold down the left mouse button, otherwise you'll just get little segments(you'll see).

The track draw feature is the way I've always tackled this. FYI if you need to insert a point in an existing track: create a second track, edit it, copy the desired trackpoint (or multiple trackpoitns), then open the first track and paste it (them) at the appropriate location. It's not as easy as editing coordinates, but it does work.

here is one possible solution. download the track into mapsource from the GPS, save it as a text file. Import the text file into an excel spreadsheet. Make a couple of formulas to extract and convert the decimal minutes to decimal degrees. Once in this fomat you can add or subtract a set amount to the results to offset your track. Next, recompile the offset results back into decimal minutes and there you have it. now with more advanced data handling you can also rotate the track, shrink or enlarge it, whatever you want.

here is one possible solution. download the track into mapsource from the GPS, save it as a text file. Import the text file into an excel spreadsheet. Make a couple of formulas to extract and convert the decimal minutes to decimal degrees. Once in this fomat you can add or subtract a set amount to the results to offset your track. Next, recompile the offset results back into decimal minutes and there you have it. now with more advanced data handling you can also rotate the track, shrink or enlarge it, whatever you want.

I was thinking along these lines too. If you have the Mapsource preferences set to decimal degrees (or UTM) the text file will contain these units, which would make the Excel calculations easier. I'm not sure how you would get the resulting data back into Mapsource though; G7toWin (or one of the other data conversion programs available) might offer some more flexibility in getting the files into text format for use by Excel and back into gdb format after the conversion.

I want to create a track of a planned route round some paths ending in a cache, offer it for download in a form that creates it elsewhere on a map. The challenge is to match the track shape and dimension with the footpath patterns. It doesnt look possible by way of manipulation but can anyone think of another way of executing the requirements?

I think you are from Bristol, so I have a Bristol based track [without locations]

Match it and find the Start in Bristol.

It is based on roads as it was quicker than footpaths for now. I know the area well and there are many walks/cycle routes close by!!

It is all prepared but I am unable to post the jpeg's in this forum, so will try email.

I hope this is the type of project you are looking for?

try OziExplorer .. I used it to hack a garmin track around

I agree with G. OziExplorer has some of the best track manipulation tools available. It also has a bit of a learning curve. An easier, U.S. only option, is TopoFusion.

Rich Owings

www.GPStracklog.com

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

I just took a map with three separate tracks on it that made up a trail system.

I moved two of the tracks to separate places on the map. Each track moved as a unit.

The third was left in it's original location.

If I could attach two jpg images then You could see the before and after.

It took approximately 30 sec to do the whole process!