Outsmarting FTF'rs?

wildchld97

Hi

I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas on how to outsmart the FTF hounds when placing a cache. I don't have anything against anyone who gets off on always being a FTF per say, but I'd like to give others the chance against those who run around with hundreds of dollars worth of gizmos at their fingertips and/or don't have any time constraints.

I've thought about maybe letting the cache go with just a ribbon for the FTF, going back a few days later and putting an envelope with money or a gift card in for say..the 10th or 15th finder.

I've also played with the idea of putting a puzzle/riddle inside the cache and having the FTF email me with the answer before I give him/her the coordinates for the FTF prize hidden elsewhere (make them work for it.) I'm not sure how I'd do this in trying to list it though since it won't be a multi for *everyone*.

Any ideas?

If someone is serious about being the FTF there is really not much you can do to slow them down. Although there are some ways and that depends on the VCR (if they have a scheduled review time). I've listed caches during the middle of the week, late in the evening ect. Watch the local listings and see if there is a pattern that you can work to your advantage.

Now if you want to make the FTF to work for their smile hide the cache deep in the woods - watch them run out the door for a 6 mile hike. There is one sure fire way to spoil a FTF's effort but I wont go there.

Having all the bells and whistles are nice but it takes time and dedication and a slight case of OCD.

I think of the FTF gift as a bribe to get someone to go look for your cache first. If I hid a cache that the people who like FTF's would run for, it wouldn't need a FTF gift.

I have only two FTF's, and both of them are in remote areas. One placed last spring, and has been logged by myself and one other person. The other was placed a few weeks ago, and I am still the only one to have logged it.

I have two caches hidden, both took a week for the FTF.

All these caches are reasonable easy, I have limited mobility, and cannot hike very far. They would be kid friendly. However, they are a long drive, and up some dirt roads, with maybe a short hike at the end.

When I do hide some caches closer in, I'm not sure I would include a FTF gift. I do know I wouldn't worry about the FTF, I would hide the cache so others can have fun. If your way of having fun is to be FTF, then it works for me. I don't don't worry about the FTF, I am more worried my cache will have a Last to Find. :D

Learn to love the FTF'rs because they'll always be someone waiting to be first. :D Seriously, we love our FTF racers around here because they go out of their way to be first and then follow up with a seriously cool review of the cache to help generate interest. So reward them with whatever you like, but their excitement is infectious and can really pump up interest in your new cache and invite others to join in the hunt. :D

If you want to defeat someone, you gotta know your opponent. Start watching his/her logs till you get an idea of their caching schedule. Are they a morning hunter? an evening hunter? Lunchtime? Leave a note to your reviewer asking that they publish the cache at X o'clock, X being a time most inconvienient for the FTF hound. Personally, I don't make any attempts to "defeat" our FTF folks. It's just not important to me.

Backdate the "Placed Date" when submitting the cache. I discovered this by accident. I had taken out 10 GC# for a series and only ended up using 6 at the time. Months later I placed another and used one of the 4 reaming GC# I had taken and forgot to change the "Placed Date".

This will keep the cache from showing up as new and it will not be included in E-mail notifications of new caches in your area.

Why don't you put in a nice prize and make it clear that it's for the SECOND To Find? :D Watch the ensuing fun...

And as for this comment:

I'd like to give others the chance against those who run around with hundreds of dollars worth of gizmos at their fingertips

... you do realize... all of us who call ourselves geocachers ... :D ?

There have been some very good ideas so far and some very good advice. Thanks to all that responded so far. To reiterate..I have no problem whatsoever with FTF'rs. If that's what gets them off...I'm all for it. It's just that when I placed my first two caches, the same person got both FTF's...and the money. I'm just trying to be fair to the people who can't leave work, school, or drop everything as soon as their palm pilot or laptop goes *ding* as soon as the notification comes in.

I'm thinking of employing several suggestions and ideas all at once :D ...except the exploding ink. :D

Don't know if it would help, but have you considered splitting up your FTF booty into several smaller awards to be placed randomly and without warning into your cache? Instead of a big cash incentive, maybe put several smaller cash incentives or geocoins, TBs, etc. as a surprise for someone who's never been there yet. Imagine the delight of someone who is number 29 in line suddenly finding a great "Just because" prize. Just the possibility would keep people visiting and revisiting your caches over the years to come and the cost would be the same (at least initially and chalk up future incentives as maintenance). :D

Why don't you put in a nice prize and make it clear that it's for the SECOND To Find? :D Watch the ensuing fun...

And as for this comment:

I'd like to give others the chance against those who run around with hundreds of dollars worth of gizmos at their fingertips

... you do realize... all of us who call ourselves geocachers ... :D ?

Um...no. I only carry the bare basic GPS (a simple Magellan Explorist 100) and it serves me well. I don't have a palm pilot mapping my course street by street, nor do I have a laptop computer in my backpack to log my find immediately. What I'm talking about are those of us that use the mimimalistic approach for us to truely enjoy the thrill of the hunt in this particular game. If you put it in another context, I'm the sort of person who would never think about bringing a "camp potty", a portable tv or a blow up mattress on a camping trip. :D

Don't know if it would help, but have you considered splitting up your FTF booty into several smaller awards to be placed randomly and without warning into your cache? Instead of a big cash incentive, maybe put several smaller cash incentives or geocoins, TBs, etc. as a surprise for someone who's never been there yet. Imagine the delight of someone who is number 29 in line suddenly finding a great "Just because" prize. Just the possibility would keep people visiting and revisiting your caches over the years to come and the cost would be the same (at least initially and chalk up future incentives as maintenance). :D

I actually think this is a good idea as well. I have already done this to some extent with the easy multi that I have. Every once in a while when I go to check on it I'll place a few coins or dollars in there but I don't let anyone know about it. (It's actually kind of funny, everyone has said that they signed the log..but nobody will admit to taking the money.) It's all good though. I do it because I know how excited some people get when they find something that they can actually *use* in a cache.

Make your caches devious puzzles, this slows down the usual FTF cachers, unless they are good puzzle solvers also.

Place your cache 30 feet up in a tree, this will weed out a few FTF hunters.

Place your cache a half mile from the nearest road, this weeds out a bunch of FTF hunters.

Make your cache a 5/5, this will definately weed out a bunch of FTFers.

There have been some very good ideas so far and some very good advice. Thanks to all that responded so far. To reiterate..I have no problem whatsoever with FTF'rs. If that's what gets them off...I'm all for it. It's just that when I placed my first two caches, the same person got both FTF's...and the money. I'm just trying to be fair to the people who can't leave work, school, or drop everything as soon as their palm pilot or laptop goes *ding* as soon as the notification comes in.

I'm thinking of employing several suggestions and ideas all at once :D ...except the exploding ink. :D

Someone's gonna be FTF.

If it's one or two cachers in your area that appear to be always FTF, email them and ask them to please not try to FTF your caches.

If they still want to claim FTF, ask them to leave the FTF prize for someone else.

Write something like "If you have more than 5 FTFs please let someone else find this first" in your description.

If they STILL claim FTF and take the prize, delete their log and post humiliating notes.

We have an active FTF community here - none of whom, unlesss it's one of their first few FTFs, takes the prize, and all of whom will sit back and let someone else get it from time to time as a courtesy.

Try to promote such thinking in your area.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I live in North Dakota where it get really realy cold and if you want to deture the FTFer's place you cache in the middle of winter on a 3 mile hike. Most people are detured by freezing temps that way in the spring the normal FTFer might not remember the cache and that would give other cachers a chance. of course you would have to place the cache in the winter yourself it works if you are willing to do it.

I'm just trying to be fair

Fair? What an odd concept. Unless the FTF'er has some way of manipulating the actions of the reviewer, the system is absolutely fair without you changing a thing. If you put out 500 caches, and the same guy/gal gets FTF on all 500, how is that unfair? If being FTF is important to a finder, they will either work toward that goal, (reward = effort), or they will rely on luck. Fairness, or the lack thereof, never enters into the picture.

If you insist on altering the outcome of a FTF hunt, do so for reasons that aren't imaginary.

If it's one or two cachers in your area that appear to be always FTF, email them and ask them to please not try to FTF your caches.

Oh that will go over well.

I personally don't see why the OP would want to "outsmart" the FTF hounds. I figure if they want to wake up at 4 a.m., or are willing to head out at midnight in a snow storm and don't mind dealing with bad coordinates and other "shake out" issues, more power to them. If other people want to be the FTF let them work for it.

We're the local FTF hounds in our area. Our friends the billwolf1's (also have been know to like a FTF)are famous for their many cache series. Their series are patterned after games, monopoly, Clue, Chutes and Ladders etc. They arrange to have all of the caches published at once and have us going around in circles. The last series, Chutes and Ladders was placed in two communities, half in one and the other half in a community 35 miles away. That allowed several caches to claim a bunch of FTFs. That's one way to outsmart a FTF'r.

I only have 2 hides, but I think FTF is fun, I wouldn't want to discourage them.

I made a little laminated joke "FTF Membership Card" and attached to the prize for the last one and plan on putting them in any future caches I place.

I think the reviewer has more control over it than anyone, depending on what time and day they decide to release the cache to the public.

Fair? What an odd concept. Unless the FTF'er has some way of manipulating the actions of the reviewer, the system is absolutely fair without you changing a thing. If you put out 500 caches, and the same guy/gal gets FTF on all 500, how is that unfair? If being FTF is important to a finder, they will either work toward that goal, (reward = effort), or they will rely on luck. Fairness, or the lack thereof, never enters into the picture.

If you insist on altering the outcome of a FTF hunt, do so for reasons that aren't imaginary.

Maybe I should revise the wording to be not first to FIND...but first to get the good prize..as opposed to regular SWAG. That's the only thing that I'm trying to alter. I thought I made myself clear, but sometimes it has to be spelled out I suppose. :D

How about getting some of those exploding ink packets? You know, the kind the banks put inside stacks of money to mark the robbers when they count their loot? Put one of those thingies in the cache so the FTF gets a face full of ink, that ought to slow 'em down. :D

Interesting concept, but something that I would never try. You might hide a cache with this unexpecting suprize inside of it, and then the cachers that come for the FTF have friends with them that have never found a cache before.... :D NOT COOL!

Maybe I should revise the wording to be not first to FIND...but first to get the good prize..as opposed to regular SWAG. That's the only thing that I'm trying to alter. I thought I made myself clear, but sometimes it has to be spelled out I suppose. :D

If its just a matter of getting the good prize, try:

1. Not putting in a FTF prize.

2. Put it in an envelope marked "For the Second to Find"

3. Add it after the cache has been found.

4. Fill your cache with lots of good stuff so the first 10-15 finders have something nice to choose from

Backdate the "Placed Date" when submitting the cache. I discovered this by accident. I had taken out 10 GC# for a series and only ended up using 6 at the time. Months later I placed another and used one of the 4 reaming GC# I had taken and forgot to change the "Placed Date".

This will keep the cache from showing up as new and it will not be included in E-mail notifications of new caches in your area.

It will still be sent as an instant notify when published. I don't know any FTF hounds who wait for the weekly email.

I've thought about maybe letting the cache go with just a ribbon for the FTF, going back a few days later and putting an envelope with money or a gift card in for say..the 10th or 15th finder.

I've also played with the idea of putting a puzzle/riddle inside the cache and having the FTF email me with the answer before I give him/her the coordinates for the FTF prize hidden elsewhere (make them work for it.) I'm not sure how I'd do this in trying to list it though since it won't be a multi for *everyone*.

Any ideas?

Well, first off, most caches don't have FTF prizes at all and if my thinking is in any way similar to other FTF hounds, the FTF prize is not the least bit important.

As I sought my first FTF, I was under the mistaken impression there there was always a cool FTF prize. This caused some disappointment, but I soon learned that the FTF thrill was the thrill of discovery, not the lust for a prize.

I seriously doubt that anything you do regarding the prize is going to matter.

I don't know how others get their list of "virgins", but I don't bother looking at the Thursday morning email for them. For one, most of the "new caches" listed already have several finds on them.

I have a permanent PQ setup for them and when i get the whim to go after one, I simply preview the PQ and pick the ones that look interesting.

I used to subscribe to the "just published" emails (quit because I didn't care to sort through all of them at times when I was not available for a caching trip). These will give instant notification of the new caches. If you are really a pro, you can have them sent to your pager.

In light of this, "backdating" is pretty much worthless. - Besides, the SEC might get wind of it and you'll be joining your local CEO in the country-club prison. :D :D :D

The very fact that someone desires to alter the natural outcome of the hunt shows they have a very peculiar concept of "fair". I will never understand how intentionally hindering someone "makes it fair" for someone else.

So...

<tongue-n-cheek>

If you REALLY want to "outsmart" the FTF hound, simply list the cache without actually placing it, then put it out after the people you are out to get have DNF'd it. Then privately tell one of your friends that it is really there now and let them FTF it and write how incredibly EASY it was to find.

Of course you could just give a private "heads up" to the people you want to get the FTF B4 you submit the cache, let them find it and sign the log, then when the cache is published they can all log it online.

</tongue-in-cheek>

Now don't go telling me that these ideas are "unfair". If an attempt to hinder someone to "make it fair" is "fair" then fair is fair, (so there)! :D :rolleye:

To reiterate..I have no problem whatsoever with FTF'rs. If that's what gets them off...I'm all for it. It's just that when I placed my first two caches, the same person got both FTF's...and the money.

Call me crazy, but how about just don't put money or any special FTF prize, and quit worrying about it?

if my thinking is in any way similar to other FTF hounds, the FTF prize is not the least bit important.

I expect that's true. I notice a bit of good-natured competition in my local area, and it doesn't look to me like the various parties are remotely interested in the loot.

As I sought my first FTF, I was under the mistaken impression there there was always a cool FTF prize. This caused some disappointment, but I soon learned that the FTF thrill was the thrill of discovery, not the lust for a prize.

I was a complete greenhorn newbie when I went for my first FTF (as opposed to the mere newbie that I am now). I didn't know anything about FTF prizes - I thought it was just a tongue-in-cheek bragging rights kind of thing. In fact, *I* left a dollar bill for the 2TF :D

I think anyone who worries about FTF hounds really needs a priority adjustment.

Don't know if it would help, but have you considered splitting up your FTF booty into several smaller awards to be placed randomly and without warning into your cache? Instead of a big cash incentive, maybe put several smaller cash incentives or geocoins, TBs, etc. as a surprise for someone who's never been there yet. Imagine the delight of someone who is number 29 in line suddenly finding a great "Just because" prize. Just the possibility would keep people visiting and revisiting your caches over the years to come and the cost would be the same (at least initially and chalk up future incentives as maintenance). :bad:

We have a couple cachers around here that team up and gobble up all the FTFs. They don't seem to have jobs so they are always available. Their logs always read TNLN so they are only in it for the bragging rights. Their logs are not interesting either but they make sure they put out tons of smilies in the logs to show they beat everyone.

Really like this idea of putting out good stuff later on and every once in a while. We could let the person find the gift and then post a pre-dated note saying the next person to find it gets a special prize or gift. That way previous finders won't back track just to grab the prize. Would definitely work to keep people interested in your caches too. :bad:

Edited by GPX Navigators

I never could figure out the FTF prize thing.

Instead of one big prize and a couple of crappy trade items I pack my caches full of inexpensive interesting items for trade. That is about as fair as I can figure out. I do the best I can but I know that not everyone will like every item so I try to switch it up.

As for the FTFers themselves, let 'em go for it. It is like a game within a game. Anyone can play. All it takes is the willingness to leave the house at a moments notice in any weather at any time. Give it a try, you might enjoy it. If not, leave it for others.

I was a complete greenhorn newbie when I went for my first FTF

So was I.

Cache # 3. And it had been posted for nearly a month when I got it. It took me three trips over the course of two weekends with as many as 4 people searching in light snow and slick mud.

It simply is not true that a "greenhorn newbie" cannot be FTF or that they need any "special considerations".

I thought I made myself clear, but sometimes it has to be spelled out I suppose.

Perhaps. I've oft been accused of being dumber than duct tape. So, as I understand it, you're not necessarily trying to manipulate who finds your cache first, but rather, who gets the good prize. Is that about right? I stuill fail to see where fairness plays into this at all. Seems like the only factor keeping this from being a level playing field is you. This is not a critique, by the way. It's your cache. Fill it however you wish. But I think you do yourself a disservice by allowing false guilt to affect when and if you leave a special FTF prize. If all you want to achieve is to keep JoeyBagOfDonuts from snagging the MiniMag, simply come out on the cache page and state, "I will leave a MiniMag flashlight in the cache sometime after JoeyBagOfDonuts claims his FTF.

Like others have said I dont get the reasoning behind this.IF you feel someone is only going after FTF's on your caches for the prizes don't put the prizes in or don't complain when teh same person gets it.We have a rather large group of FTF hunters around here and you usually know a good idea of who will be first by where it is placed as in whos house it is closest to.We have one cacher who has been referred to as "He who never sleeps"

because of his large number of ftf's many of which were obtained late at night very shortly after the cache was placed.Most of the FTF hunters I know myself included can care less if there is a prize or not its about the numbers and bragging rights mostly.I will still take the prize if one was left.I actually had one cacher who put a cache out who was happy I got the FTF on a cache he put out because someone else had FTF almost every cache they had ever placed.He even made a joke about just giving the FTF prize to him in person to save time.The suggestion to backdate the log will do nothing against most FTF hunters because of the methods used.I have notifications set up for all caches published that send me an email as soon as it is published.My email then has filters to send me a text message letting me know a cache was published so I usually know within minutes of any cache published within 50miles of my home coords.I can then go to my computer or if I am out and about log on using my cell and pda to get the info.I also have a pocket querie and a google map set up that show unfound caches around me that I can click on to keep track of what has been found so far and what has not.Its a game and like most games some are more into it and more dedicated than others

There is one cacher in my area, who FTF'S every cache. he is a driver and i know how he does it. because i have a driver aswell.

being a limo driver has to be the best geocaching job because.

they have a GPS with mapping for there car

they have PDA's for keeping records

they have crackberrys other like devices

so when a cache is published they get an email sent straight to them and then, when they have time between jobs they can drive over there and get it.

im sorry if i have offended anyone in this post, im not trying to make a sterotype or anything.

We have a couple of FTF hounds we know they have a pager linked to the instant notification and there kit next to the bed ready to go at any hour.

To level the playing field we generally submit caches early on a weekend morning ie about 8am.

This opens the hunt to people who work Monday to Friday. The FTF hounds generally work nights or from home so can go out at any time .

This has lead to some new names getting the FTF but all had an equal opportunity theres no need to fiddle just get your timing sorted.

The best way to defeat those who find your cache first is to not place a cache.

Why wouldn't you want motivated people to find your cache? If those other people who work during the week truly want to be FTFers then they can do the same thing others do. If they aren't that motivated, then who cares?

We are FTF hounds who get our fair share of FTFs. Contrary to 'stereotypes' we don't use email notifications and we are usually more 'schedule-bound' than most cachers because we work and go to school. We find new caches by going to the website and pulling up the new cache list, just like the least technical cachers among us.

The funny thing is that we usually wait a day after a cache is listed before we go for the FTF. This is sometimes by choice, sometimes not. But the average is a day after listing before we attempt it. Lots of times, the FTF is still there waiting for us. I think it's because folks give up on trying for the FTF, thinking it's unattainable.

So, while folks are complaining about FTF hounds snaking all the FTF chances, they just may be missing a new listing that just popped up.

- T of TandS

Any ideas?

1. Make sure you live just 5 or 10 miles away from your volunteer cache reviewer. Move if necessary. That way, the same FTF Hound will also be finding the Reviewer's caches, and the Reviewer will be more sympathetic. You might even get your Reviewer to give you tips privately about how he has figured out Alan's schedule. Errr, if the FTF Hound happened to have that name, of course.

2. Learn your Reviewer's likes and dislikes. If he likes, say, Guinness Beer, don't bribe him with Coors Light. I am just speaking hypothetically.

3. Randomly leave unactivated geocoins in the cache nearest to your Reviewer's home as gifts for the cache owner. He especially is looking for Signal the Frog coins, State coins, and local geocaching association coins. Errr, hypothetically, that is.

4. If those things don't work, offer to introduce your Volunteer Cache Reviewer to that nice single mom from your church. Ummm, unless your Volunteer Cache Reviewer is married. I keep forgetting, I am speaking hypothetically.

Now, if you do enough things like the hypothetical sample ideas above, eventually you will find that your Reviewer will publish your cache at 4:28 a.m., if that is what you ask for. Hypothetically.

Edited by The Leprechauns

I'm an FTFer and don't really need a FTF gift, I just go for the excitement. People in my area know that I go for the FTF and have started trying to beat me to the cache. Now we have about 5 of us who try to beat each other making it really exciting to go find a cache. (Almost all of us have a GPSr and maybe a palm pilot if we're lucky; pretty low on the gizmos).

As for making it harder, put in a long hike. I've been trying to be FTF on one for days now because the cache is a multi and just so far of a hike that I don't have time to complete all of it. Plus, I work at a school and can only go find when school is out. Try to manipulate the time when the cache gets published.

Contrary to popular western NC opinion, I am NOT an FTF hound. Not that I'm keeping track but I think of my 3200+ finds I have almost 400 FTFs. And I still maintain that I am NOT an FTF hound.

What I am is a geocacher. And since I have cleaned up almost all of the caches within a 30 mile radius, when a new cache appears I feel drawn to it. As quickly as possible. It isn't about being FTF, but about finding the cache. Quickly. 1st, 2nd or 13th.

So to address the OP: Why would you want to outsmart the FTF hounds? They don't receive any bonus points for the finds. All they get is a warm fuzzy. Let them have their warm fuzzies.

Learn to love the FTF'rs because they'll always be someone waiting to be first. :bad: Seriously, we love our FTF racers around here because they go out of their way to be first and then follow up with a seriously cool review of the cache to help generate interest. So reward them with whatever you like, but their excitement is infectious and can really pump up interest in your new cache and invite others to join in the hunt. :bad:

We must agree, as around here, publish time to find can be anywhere from 5 to 15 min and in remote areas, well we have one that has been out there for 6 months ( 30 mile hike round trip ).

It has been fun to participate and also to watch as there are always some real fun stories to tell. Also the FTF people change from time to time. As for FTF prize, well in most cases they don't even take or swap pretty equal. We love our local cachers, well ok, like... :P

I'm not a FTF hound by any means, but I see no reason for any of this. Rather than making it fair for everyone, you are trying to make it unfair to the FTF hounds.

If people can't hunt it because they **gasp** have to work or their kid has soccer practice...well, I say that's tough (and yes, I'm one of those people who has a job and whose kid has soccer practice).

If I have to work, I don't get upset that I a) can't go to a movie B ) can't go golfing with my buddies c) can't spend time with my family or d) can't go be the FTF on a cache. It's just part of life. There's always people out there with more money and more time than I have. Not much I can do about it.

I guess if you really want to "outsmart" them, make the prize for the second to find (which is usually a FTF hound who just failed at being FTF). However, I really do not believe that it's the prize the motivates FTF hounds, but it's being FTF. Most people I know who are FTF hounds don't really care about the prize, but will go try to be FTF, regardless of whether there is a prize or not. Take a look at the micros around that didn't have a prize, and I'll bet it's the same people being FTF on those.

Edited by ThePropers

Thanks for the "hypothetical" advice. I'll take it into consideration when I do place my next cache. :bad:

However, I've come to realize that some of you are right. I'm making much ado about nothing. I only have two caches out there..one of which I unfortunately had to disable, and I just thought it was a nice touch to put something special in them for the FTF. I've decided to just put the regular swag stuff in there and leave it at that. In actuality the person who is the local FTF'r seems to be a really nice guy and I bear him no ill will. I didn't realize that he might be playing a "game within a game". I also didn't realize that I would touch a raw nerve with those who play the game this way. My apologies to all whom I offended.

Any ideas?

1. Make sure you live just 5 or 10 miles away from your volunteer cache reviewer. Move if necessary. That way, the same FTF Hound will also be finding the Reviewer's caches, and the Reviewer will be more sympathetic. You might even get your Reviewer to give you tips privately about how he has figured out Alan's schedule. Errr, if the FTF Hound happened to have that name, of course.

2. Learn your Reviewer's likes and dislikes. If he likes, say, Guinness Beer, don't bribe him with Coors Light. I am just speaking hypothetically.

3. Randomly leave unactivated geocoins in the cache nearest to your Reviewer's home as gifts for the cache owner. He especially is looking for Signal the Frog coins, State coins, and local geocaching association coins. Errr, hypothetically, that is.

4. If those things don't work, offer to introduce your Volunteer Cache Reviewer to that nice single mom from your church. Ummm, unless your Volunteer Cache Reviewer is married. I keep forgetting, I am speaking hypothetically.

Now, if you do enough things like the hypothetical sample ideas above, eventually you will find that your Reviewer will publish your cache at 4:28 a.m., if that is what you ask for. Hypothetically.

For my latest cache I decided to have a lottery. The FTF (First Ten Finders) will be entered into a drawing for the FTF prize.

Another thing I like to do (which has been mentioned previously) is to go out and re-stock my caches with NTF (Next To Find) prizes, ...e.g. an unactivated geocoin.

Not exactly outsmarting FTF'rs, but fun anyway.

Edited by geos of the jungle