Geocoin in archived cache Robin Hood's Bay

docross

Here's the situation. Buckette and I were just finishing up the Coast to Coast walk from St Bees to Robin Hood's Bay in North Yorks. We knew a cache was near the finish: GCG7QW, or the Easternmost Point on the Coast to Coast. We found the cache, right off the Cleveland Way about a 30 minute walk from Robin Hood's Bay, and left a neat geocoin called Prime Meridian.

Now back in the USA (thanks Springsteen) I learn the cache has been archived. What to do? Would someone please go and retrieve the coin from the cache, and place it in an active cache? I hate to see the geocoin stay there forever.

I realize that the cache has been archived because 1) it's in a stone wall; 2) the cache maintainer has some medical problems, alluded to in a log note. He's probably not going to be able to go a retrieve the coin. I did request that he un-archive the cache so another cacher would be able to find it on a pocket query, but haven't heard from him yet.

Any other ideas? I am about 3500 miles away, so I can't go get it. While we were on the C2C walk, we didn't have access to the net, and probably wouldn't have double-checked on this particular cache anyway...caches don't usually go archived unless they're physically missing or muggled.

Any response would be appreciated. DocRoss, New Hampshire USA

Visiting Scarborough on Sunday to replace one of my caches so might try and grab this while we are in the area. I'll check the logs on saturday to see if it is still there and if it is I'll remove the whole box and use it for a new cache at some point. Geocoin would be released within a couple of days.

Paul.

Thanks for the quick response in offering to retrieve the coin! :D I hope a cacher closer-by sees this post in the forum and responds.

BTW, is geocacheuk.com still active? I forgot my password and tried using the password recovery utility, but have received no reply. Tried emailing one of the owners, Teasel (sp?), via geocaching.com, hasn't answered yet. :D

Visiting Scarborough on Sunday to replace one of my caches so might try and grab this while we are in the area. I'll check the logs on saturday to see if it is still there and if it is I'll remove the whole box and use it for a new cache at some point. Geocoin would be released within a couple of days.

Paul.

That would be much appreciated! DocRoss

BTW, is geocacheuk.com still active? I forgot my password and tried using the password recovery utility, but have received no reply. Tried emailing one of the owners, Teasel (sp?), via geocaching.com, hasn't answered yet. :D

Yes it is :D Just that Teasel is sometimes busy :D, if no reply then send me an email though GC, and will send you a new password (its still a manual process :D )

I realize that the cache has been archived because 1) it's in a stone wall

I understand the reasons for archiving the cache but, on looking through the logs I notice it has been in place for over 3 years. I am curious as to why it has only just been decided that the placing is unsuitable? :D

This is not a dig at any of the reviewers or anybody else for that matter. It's just a case of genuine curiosity. :D

I realize that the cache has been archived because 1) it's in a stone wall

I understand the reasons for archiving the cache but, on looking through the logs I notice it has been in place for over 3 years. I am curious as to why it has only just been decided that the placing is unsuitable? :bad:

This is not a dig at any of the reviewers or anybody else for that matter. It's just a case of genuine curiosity. :bad:

Geocaching is a hobby were lessons are learned from experience. One of these lessons has been the damage searchers can cause to Dry Stone Walls, hence the ban on such locations.

When the cache was published the Approver [Reviewers were known as Approvers at the time] was not aware of the actual location of the container, as no mention is made on the cache page nor in reviewer [Approver] notes.

As soon as Eckington,Lactodorum or myself have a container in such a location brought to our attention, we take the appropriate action to insure that it is moved to a suitable location, or as in cases like this as the owner is unable to move it and it is in a prohibited location Archive the listing.

Deceangi

Update :

We have visited this cache today and rescued the coin.

The cache was indeed concealed within a dry stone wall so we removed it and re - hid it about 150 ft away.

I have emailed the cache owner, Dr Scotland and Lactodorum today with the new coordinates and description of the hiding place to enable the listing to be changed.

Regards

Paul

Many thanks to Paul and Ros for their efforts in securing and rehiding this one - and to Lacto for all of his patience and assistance with this cache.

Unfortunately, my health does not allow me to maintain the cache for the owner (who I believe now lives in the USA)

I've tried to contact the owner, but my emails get returned, though a local cacher has offered to adopt the cache.

Lacto is curently doing what he can to ensure the cache owner/maintainer status gets put into able hands.

Cheers to all involved, good luck to you, and to the cache in its new (not in a dry stone wall) site!