Geocoins: Paper replacements?

Team CDCB

While this is a geocoin topic, I'm posting it here cause I'm looking for the general public's opinion on this practice. Obviously, if the mods feel it should be in the Geocoin forum, feel free to move it.

Okay, I understand that geocoins have a tendency to go missing VERY quickly. And I can understand that people don't want to lose them. But I find it stupid to go to a cache expecting to find a geocoin and instead finding a photocopy of the coin in the box.

I've only handled a few coins, but I would make every effort to get the coin back into circulation as soon as possible. I saw a geocache had a coin in it yesterday and decided to make a trip with my kids to see it. I figured it would be cool to show it to my kids and my wife might be interested in seeing/handling it to. (Part of me probably secretly hopes that she finds 'em cool enough that she'll want us to buy some...) But instead I get to show them a little piece of laminated paper. Big whoop.

What do y'all think? Am I making a moutain out of a mole hill? If just seem silly to me. If you want to keep the coins, then keep 'em. If you want to circulate them, then do that. But this strikes me as having your cake and eating it to.

geocoins are cooler than a paper slip with a picture of a geocoin.

seems that you are right, if the coin isn't in there, it shouldn't be logged as being in there.

but I sure wouldn't want a coin stolen either, so I can see their point too.

guess I'd say either release the real coin, or don't play.

The only "geocoin" I have come across was a photocopy. It didn't bother me....but then again...it was a color photocopy, enlarged and glued onto a blank wooden nickel. So in reality - it was, while not as cool as the original, still pretty cool thinking that someone when to all that trouble to create a fairly realisitc replacement. I logged it and moved it on, no problem.

While I myself am not into geocoins..I know many folks are, and I know they get upset when they go missing. If it makes a person feel better, than great. And hey, you still get to add the icon for discovering it.

seems like if you say a geocoin is in a cache, and someone who likes geocoins makes an effort to go retrieve or see it, and when they get there there's nothing but a piece of paper, you really have ripped them off.

can you change the name?

if the title was "paper geocoin xxxxx" or whatever, people would know what they are getting.

We received a bunch of copies from a US geocacher. And yes, it's a bit disappointing, but I understand what's in his mind. Geocoins are tokens with an extra meaning.

We're making a small collection and have some in the wild. One have gone missing and hope the others are ok. Still, if those are gone, I'll probably won't release any of them.

On the other hand, I've seen many travel bugs that don't have the "special and original" plaque. Some have just the tracking number... So, isn't that the same?

Oh, copy or no copy, you still get the icon. :D

But of course, we all (at least I think so) to contemplate some great geocoins out there. We had the luck to grab some that are extraordinary, like the Great Reward, some Civil Wars, and others.

Things would be different if some would only move them and not taking them...

We received a bunch of copies from a US geocacher. And yes, it's a bit disappointing, but I understand what's in his mind. Geocoins are tokens with an extra meaning.

We're making a small collection and have some in the wild. One have gone missing and hope the others are ok. Still, if those are gone, I'll probably won't release any of them.

On the other hand, I've seen many travel bugs that don't have the "special and original" plaque. Some have just the tracking number... So, isn't that the same?

Oh, copy or no copy, you still get the icon. :D

But of course, we all (at least I think so) to contemplate some great geocoins out there. We had the luck to grab some that are extraordinary, like the Great Reward, some Civil Wars, and others.

Things would be different if some would only move them and not taking them...

I found one copy coin once and i had no problem with it being a copy for the main reason that the owner clearly stated in his description of the coin that it was a copy, so I knew ahead of time. I was happy to collect the Icon! I decided to go with that coin owners idea so I released my first coin the other day and it is a copy and clearly noted in the description of the coin. It is true to size front and back just a lot thinner, along with a card attached stating it's intended use. I love these coins and just started to collect them myself. I cant afford to buy 2 of each coin (1 to keep $10, 1 to send out $10) so i keep the original and send out the copy. A lot of people just like to log them for the Icon. There just seem to be way to many coins for sale on "certain" auction sites and I would hate for one of mine that i paid my hard earned $10 on to end up there. I agree finding a paper coin isnt exciting but unfortunately there are people that dont play by the rules and swipe the real coins!

Jayman11

I think that actual geocoins are much nicer than photocopies, but understand that geocoins go missing...

If you are going to release a copy though, you should change the name to include something indicating that it is not the actual geocoin...

something like, "COPY of Marvin's Geocaching University Geocoin"

Jamie - NFA

We went to a cache hoping to find our first Geocoin -- what did we find? A laminated copy. What a disappointment. The owner's response was that they are stolen.

So, don't buy them.

Or as was suggested, put in the name that it is a copy.

Fortunately this was an easy cache.

We still haven't seen a 'real' coin.

I believe that Geocoins belong in the wild, in I have released all my coins so they may roam free in caches. There are a couple of coins that unfortunately have been abducted by a few greedy cachers. I am thinking of sending out a laminated paper replacement, with their tracking numbers to give the coins a second life. I would rename the coins to reflect the change, so at first glance a cacher would see that the coin was a replacement on the travel bug list for the cache. Any thoughts on this? Or should I count the coins lost forever?

Edited by Harriet the Spy

I too, hate to have the coins turn up missing. Recently I placed an activated geocoin in a cache, but I stipulated that the coin was to stay in the cache. It was not meant to travel. I know that it can still be stolen, but I think that many bugs that go missing are in someone's desk drawer, forgotten about. Everyone who visits the cache can see the actual coin, and get the icon, just not take it. This is a test, so I will see how it goes.

DutchBoy

I admit I'm a new cacher, but I don't trade items, I'm just there for the hunt.

With about 50 finds under my belt, I'm still clueless about geocoins. From what I've read, they're similar to TB's in that they are logged and passed around. But, if someone didn't know about geocoins, they would probably assume they are just trade items.

My only point is, what you folks are suspecting as theft, may simply be people trading for items that are (unbeknownst to them) off-limits.

2 cents.

My only point is, what you folks are suspecting as theft, may simply be people trading for items that are (unbeknownst to them) off-limits.

I agree with decrepeau. If I hadn't bumbled my way into these forums, I might never have heard about geocoins, and would have assumed any coins I found were keepers. I've seen it happen with TBs, too, where the log talked about trading for a cool jeep for his grandson. Yes, there are probably a few who keep the coins when they know they shouldn't, but I like to think those are the minority.

seems like if you say a geocoin is in a cache, and someone who likes geocoins makes an effort to go retrieve or see it, and when they get there there's nothing but a piece of paper, you really have ripped them off.

can you change the name?

if the title was "paper geocoin xxxxx" or whatever, people would know what they are getting.

I feel bad :D ... at some you'll be dissapointed when you realize that MANY travelers are Mctoys, keychains, small stuffed animals, and other vauleless trinkets. The idea of a travel bug is to track an object as it moves from cacher to cache to cacher to cache and so on, to collect stories and pictures of the adventure as it travels. The item is part of that, sure, but it doesn't mean it has to be valuable. And considering the places TB go, anything of value or importance shouldn't be used! If you're trying to get to see a bunch of shiny and/or rare babbles you really should consider visiting a coin shop in your local area. Whoever has the idea any of the things they find in geocaches will be valuable in is for a serious let down :D.

Stolen coins are a HUGE problem, I think more of a problem than the OP realizes. Some coins are stolen for people's private "collections," and some are stolen to later show up on famous auction sites to be sold for profit. I found a paper coin once, and it was a bit of a letdown to look at it, but I also understand why the owner did it and I would do the same. I did the same with the only TB I own, the origional tags are not on it. Counting on the honesty of EVERY person who could potentally get their hands on your coin is not the best policy if you care very much about your coins. Everyone has to do what feels right for them, but I realize that most folks aren't made of money, so they'd rather play safe than sorry with their coins. Just my 2 cents, but I agree with them. :D

Stolen coins are a HUGE problem, I think more of a problem than the OP realizes. Some coins are stolen for people's private "collections," and some are stolen to later show up on famous auction sites to be sold for profit. I found a paper coin once, and it was a bit of a letdown to look at it, but I also understand why the owner did it and I would do the same. I did the same with the only TB I own, the origional tags are not on it. Counting on the honesty of EVERY person who could potentally get their hands on your coin is not the best policy if you care very much about your coins. Everyone has to do what feels right for them, but I realize that most folks aren't made of money, so they'd rather play safe than sorry with their coins. Just my 2 cents, but I agree with them. :D

I think a real cool idea would be for the companies that are manufacturing these coins to make a plastic version of the coin at the same time if possible for the coin owner to send out in the world and then the owner could also keep the real metal coin. That would not add much cost at all to the coin and i think it would satisfy a lot of people! I've thought about casting mine in plastic resin at one point but then realized i cant paint worth a dadgum so it wouldnt look as nice as i would like. LOL

Jayman11

My thoughts are thus:

Geocoins are just that... coins. If it's not a coin that's in a cache, then you should be releasing a travelbug of a piece of paper, containing the picture of a coin.

If it's not the actual coin, it's a travelbug, and should be logged online as such. This would mean that if they don't want to lose their coin, then they should get a travelbug tag, hook it to their laminated paper, and send it off.

You shouldn't get the coin "icon" or find or whatever if you aren't holding the coin. If I found a Geocoin photocopy, I just wouldn't bother to log it. It's not a geocoin, and it's not a travelbug, so I'd just leave it.

However, if I found a photocopy of a travelbug tag, I'd accept that. It's not the tag itself that's specifically travelling, it's just a marker. As long as it's attached to the actual item that's travelling... well, I'm holding the actual item. Now, if it was a travelbug tag attached to a picture of the item, that better be a brand new travelbug in my opinion :D. And if it's a photocopy of a tb tag attached to a photocopy of the TB... that's just virtual and should be deleted IMHO :D

Come to think of it... any travelbug item or geocoin that's photocopied in my opinion would be considered virtual... but that's just me.

Edited by Kabuthunk

Geocoins are expensive.

My two coins were >$1300. I gave them away.

Some coins, my 20 Reviewer coins and 20 of my TheAlabamaRambler / NatureFish series I activated and used as recognition and appreciation gifts to deserving cachers. I get email notifications about these daily, none have dissappeared.

The other 180 TAR/NF and 150 TAR/Panda (a GeoPals collaboration with Ladebear68) I gave away unactivated or activated and left in caches.

Either way, once I handed it to someone or put it in a cache I had effectively given it away.

If the activated ones move from cache to cache, great.

If the unactivated ones get put in someone's collection, great.

My only request was that they not be sold, and folks have honored that. Well, most have - two appeared on eBay but the sales were canceled when I asked the seller to.

Not everyone can afford to play the geocoin game. Such is life. I can't drive a Rolls Royce, and I really want one.

Coins will dissappear faster than TBs, but that too is life. All the moaning and griping in the world isn't going to change that.

If you want your coins and TBs to travel, make them cheap and ugly so folks won't want them. Hole or mark them in some way that anyone who sees it knows it isn't meant to be collected.

If, on the other hand, you want a nice coin to represent you in the game, git 'er dun... just don't act surprised when folks take them!

When you KNOW what outcome to expect from your action you shouldn't be surprised when it happens!

Ed

Paper with number = trackable coin

I don't get it.

Rather than coins maybe I should just pay the fee to get some trackable numbers from Groundspeak. Release a home drawn picture of a coin that I could never afford to actually make.

If the point is to track an item while it moves - just use Travel Bugs. Why go to trouble of a coin?

I don't get it. The whole coin craze.

I have trashed out a few coin lists and papers from my caches - it never even occured to me that they were supposed to equal the real thing and were traveling as a substitute. Sigh. I figured somebody stole the original and was now moving the paper instead to hide the fact that they took the actual.

I think I will just leave all coins (and facsimiles) in caches from now on. Finds and hides.

I sorta agree with "Kabuthunk". If you decide to keep the actual geocoin, and release a photocopy, you need to attach a travelbug dogtag with it and list it as a travelbug. You'll still get to watch it move around, and you will still make sure your original stays safe.

I recently found a photocopy of a POW-MIA geocoin and didn't mind it. Somebody would likely have taken it for their collection if the actual coin was there. I have no problems with that (photocopy that is). I still logged it as if I actually got to see the actual coin. Still get the same respect in my mind and heart to hold the copy as the real one. It's all in what you believe.

I'm an owner of a few travel bugs, and geocoins. I've lost coins, and travel bugs. I've found dozens of real geocoins, and few duplicates. I have no issue with owners launching duplicates, and or replica coins.

What I see in this thread are the thoughts of a few opinionated cachers that want everyone else to geocache in the same manner as they do. So you don't like duplicate, or replica geocoins, great then don't go after them. Every replica coin I've found specifically mentioned that the coin was not real. I could care less, because I still got to discover it, and in some cases, move them along.

I figured it would be cool to show it to my kids and my wife might be interested in seeing/handling it to. (Part of me probably secretly hopes that she finds 'em cool enough that she'll want us to buy some...) But instead I get to show them a little piece of laminated paper. Big whoop.

Wait until you lose $50 dollars worth of geocoins, perhaps you'll change your mind about replicas. If finding a replica geocoin was such a letdown, and it ruined your geocaching experience, maybe you shouldn't be geocaching in the first place.

I always thought half the treasure of geocaching is the hunt, and the other half is the find. Geocoins, Travel Bugs, and Jeep TBs are just a bonus, not the sole reason to cache.

What I see in this thread are the thoughts of a few opinionated cachers that want everyone else to geocache in the same manner as they do.

Actually, what you see here is geocachers exchanging their ideas and opinions, which is what forums are FOR!

Sure, I believe my way to be the right way, in every aspect of life, else I wouldn't do it that way!

Ed

Our first Geocoin find was a laminated paper copy. The owner of the coin stated on the sheet that he was keeping the original coin and would be displaying it at various events such as state association meetings and the like. I really did not have much of a problem with this, and figured that since this was our first find perhaps this was normal. So I recorded it as a find and set up a watch on it to see where it ended up after we dropped it off. What did bother me was that about two or three days after we found it in North Carolina, two different perople recorded it as discovered in Texas. I'm assuming that the owner or someone else made additional paper copies and sent them out also. Is this normal or acceptable?

We went to a cache hoping to find our first Geocoin -- what did we find? A laminated copy. What a disappointment. The owner's response was that they are stolen.

So, don't buy them.

But instead I get to show them a little piece of laminated paper. Big whoop.

More like a few headstrong opinions.

I may be wrong, but didn't Jeremy weigh in on this issue a while back?

I thought he spoke out against duplicates of coin and TB numbers being circulated.

Did I imagine that?

Ed

I thought Jeremy was against virtual logging of coins/ Jeep tbs, and regular travel bugs. You know the cachers who "find" or discovers these items from 3000 miles away.

If a geocoin is gone, it's gone.

A paper copy of a coin is NOT a geocoin. It's a piece of paper.

If people are going to get upset over them being stolen, then they shouldn't place them in a cache.

I've never and will never steal a coin in circulation, but I guess there are those that think that they're more important than the next person who might enjoy the coin.

But that's just me...

I think the assumption that geocoins will get stolen shortly after being released is a myth. While it's true that many are stolen, my personal experience is that most of them travel well and are very appreciated by those that find them.

If you choose to keep your coins and not release them, thats all well and good but don't dupe the finders by releasing a photocopy. You can't have it both ways (imho).

I've lost some geocoins after they were released, but most of my coins are travelling as I had hoped and the very complimentary comments I've gotten from the finders makes it all worthwhile.