Upgrading City Select to City Navigator on 60cs?

Lake_People

I've been putting off spending the $75 to upgrade from City Select to Navigator, but thought for those non-GC purposes for my 60cs (finding a place for my wife to eat or shop when we travel :mad: ), it may be nice to update.

I've seen some grumblings on a non-GC forum about how City Navigator eats up more memory for the same maps. Does anybody know if this will be a problem with the 56MB 60cs? I usually keep all of Nebraska and Colorado loaded with no problem, but I don't know how much memory those take and don't know how to check. And I worry about if there is any truth to the statement that City Navigator maps take up twice as much space as City Select maps did for the same area.

Thanks,

Scott

I've been putting off spending the $75 to upgrade from City Select to Navigator, but thought for those non-GC purposes for my 60cs (finding a place for my wife to eat or shop when we travel :D ), it may be nice to update.

I've seen some grumblings on a non-GC forum about how City Navigator eats up more memory for the same maps. Does anybody know if this will be a problem with the 56MB 60cs? I usually keep all of Nebraska and Colorado loaded with no problem, but I don't know how much memory those take and don't know how to check. And I worry about if there is any truth to the statement that City Navigator maps take up twice as much space as City Select maps did for the same area.

Thanks,

Scott

I have a 60cs as well, and I have not been really happy with City Nav. V8. it works fine, but it is very limited. FYI, all of Nebraska and COlorado are six maps for 41 mb of memory. I don't know whether your statement about "twice the memory is true or not, but I sort of doubt it.. The problem for me comes not for loading areas, it seems to load about as much total area as City Select did. The problem is that if you are traveling, you have to load large amounts of unused space to get the areas you want, and that eats a lot of your valuable space. 56 is not much to work with, and this does not really help the situation.

edited for a correction.

Edited by CenTexDodger

I have a 60cs as well, and I have not been really happy with City Nav. V8. it works fine, but it is very limited. FYI, all of Nebraska and COlorado are six maps for 41 mb of memory. I don't know whether your statement about "twice the memory is true or not, but I sort of doubt it.. The problem for me comes not for loading areas, it seems to load about as much total area as City Select did. The problem is that if you are traveling, you have to load large amounts of unused space to get the areas you want, and that eats a lot of your valuable space. 56 is not much to work with, and this does not really help the situation.

edited for a correction.

Thanks for the info.

So, are the Navigator maps not broken into as small of "chunks" as with Select? Perhaps that is what the commentary on "twice the memory" was based on. On Select, Denver is eight maps alone, CO is 22 and NE is 15, and you are saying that with Navigator, ALL of NE and CO are six maps? I can see where that could be a problem loading enough maps to travel. Right now if I'm traveling out of NE or CO, I just load enough to encompass the corridor I'm traveling.

What other limitations have you experienced?

Thanks again,

Scott

edited for a correction.

Thanks for the info.

So, are the Navigator maps not broken into as small of "chunks" as with Select? Perhaps that is what the commentary on "twice the memory" was based on. On Select, Denver is eight maps alone, CO is 22 and NE is 15, and you are saying that with Navigator, ALL of NE and CO are six maps? I can see where that could be a problem loading enough maps to travel. Right now if I'm traveling out of NE or CO, I just load enough to encompass the corridor I'm traveling.

Thanks again,

Scott

You pretty well hit the nail on the head. It is virtually impossible to load a "corridor" of maps that you can use for travelling. Denver is now one map, the rest of CO is 3 maps. I think the largest segment in terms of memory is just under 8 mb. I have noticed that is is easier to travel east and west than north and south because the maps tend to be about 3 times as wide as they are tall. I wish they would come out with a

Small Segment Version for people like us, but they would muc prefer we ditch our 60cs's in favor of one of the "x" models.

Yes, that is the issue. the chunks are larger.

NT actually is smaller as a whole than the older verions....the entire US will fit on a 1 gig card as opposed to before when it too about 1.5 gig.

The maps are smaller but you are foced to load larger chunks. This is aproblem for folks with older units but when sporting a 1 gig card or a .5 gig card its no issue at all..

edited for a correction.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks again,

Scott

snip... I can see where that could be a problem loading enough maps to travel. Right now if I'm traveling out of NE or CO, I just load enough to encompass the corridor I'm traveling.

I finally upgraded to CN8 from CS6 because of some new roads in our area and the updated POIs. What I have found works best when traveling with my 60C, is to use the CS6 and select maps around route (smaller chunks) then select one chunk at my distination using CN8, then load those to the GPS. This has worked well with the limited memory. :D